New Haswell 4770k vs Extreme

Can someone explain what the difference between the new Haswell 4770K and Extreme line of processors is? Also, if there is a big difference in general performance (not necessarily just gaming) is there enough performance difference to warrant the price difference? I do alot of Adobe Encore & Premier dvd rendering and also like to play games. I'm planning my first desktop build and am confused with which way I should go with the processor. I am not into overclocking but want good overall performance.

If your not overclocking why would you get an unlocked processer

but if your doing a lot of hardcore video editing then get a 3930k X sereis is not worth it EVER (unless your a billionare)

What is your budget?

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

4770k specs

3820 specs

3930k specs

3960x specs

3970x specs

the 3820 and 4770k are both 4 core/8 thread CPU's The 4770k's newer architecture makes it faster than the 3820, and it's also theoretically easier to overclock.

The 3930k is the entry level 6 core/12 thread, and is the best bang for your buck if you're a video editor or something along those lines.

The 3960x and 3970x are both high end extreme CPU's, and are more for people trying to get the best possible performance regardless of price.

The only reason you might go with the 3820 is for multi-gpu setups because x79 has more PCIe lanes, though you'd have to be using some high end GPU's to really see the drawback of the z77 platform over the x79.

Also the quad channel ram is nice, but will not really give you any performance boosts, but allows for lots of ram (64gb vs 32gb) which is good for lots of virtual machines, or super heavy after effects projects, etc.

If you can afford it, the 3930k with a x79 board, decent air cooler, and something like a GTX 770/780 would make a solid gaming/video editing PC. If not the 4770k or even the 3770k would be good choices.