Microsoft Edge is the first web browser to support Dolby Digital Plus

GoodBytes

In Microsoft new blog post, Microsoft says that its new Edge web browser coming to Windows 10, will have Dolby Digital Plus support, making sites that choose to support it (say, for example: Netflix), and web apps be able to deliver a rich media experience to its users.

Microsoft says:

Today, we are announcing that Microsoft Edge includes HTML5, MSE and EME support for a new audio format: Dolby Audio™. It allows websites to match the compelling visuals of H.264 video with equally compelling multi-channel audio. It works well with AVC/H.264 video and also with our previously announced HLS and MPEG DASH Type 1 streaming features, which both support integrated playback of an HLS or DASH manifest

This is making Microsoft Edge web browser the first web browser to support multi-channel Dolby Digital Plus audio format.

And it will support as well Dolby Digital Plus Portable Mode, which is a dynamic range control setting that Dolby claim is optimized for playback over built-in speakers and headphones.

If you have Microsoft Edge web browser, you can test it out here: http://audioexperience.dolby.com/

Source: http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsoft-edge-first-browser-include-support-dolby-digital-plus

This post has been promoted to an article

Man this Edge really looks awesome, kinda hate the name though

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

Man this Edge really looks awesome, kinda hate the name though

Yea, but no choice. They need the 'e' icon. Else people won't buy Windows 10, as they'll think you can't go on the web.

It is sad but very true.

I am playing with edge web browner in win10, and I like it a lot. The moment add-on support will come (Microsoft said it won't make it in time, but an update will be released soon after), I am switching to it.

Yea, but no choice. They need the 'e' icon. Else people won't buy Windows 10, as they'll think you can't go on the web.

It is sad but very true.

Never knew that but kinda logical, well thanks stupid people

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

They just need to get full screen video working and I'll use it as my main browser

They just need to get full screen video working and I'll use it as my main browser

hit all the checkmarks on youtube.com/html5 and i'm sold, right now is missing both vp8 and 9

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

I am playing with edge web browner in win10, and I like it a lot. The moment add-on support will come (Microsoft said it won't make it in time, but an update will be released soon after), I am switching to it.

So to someone who heavily relies upon Google (yeah I know, but it's the best option to sync all devices at different locations for me), would you say it's better than Chrome? Or more specifically, for what kind of users is it? Complicated question I know. Might switch few accounts to Microsoft if it turns out to be good.I just don't have the time to bother with Win10 atm so try it myself.

Edited by Bouzoo

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

So to someone who heavily relies upon Google (yeah I know, but it's the best option to sync all devices at different locations for me), would you say it's better than Chrome? Or more specifically, for what kind of users is it? Complicated question I know. Might switch few accounts to Microsoft if it turns out to be good.I just don't have the time to bother with Win10 atm so try it myself.

I don't know, I am not in the ecosystem.

But you have OneDrive, it does sync your bookmarks between systems. I don't know how it would work with an Android phone, maybe there is an app, or something, I don't know. Also, as mentioned, add-ons aren't there yet in Edge, and still in development. I don't know if Microsoft is busy at supporting more web technologies or optimizing for performance on what it has now.

So, in relation to Edge and all that - how would you say the performance of windows 10 is when compared to 8.1?  Any noticeable aspects of better performance like when comparing 7 to 8 / 8.1?  On top of that--how has Edge utilization of resources been?  Or in comparison to other browsers?

Oh my god, PLEASE come to Windows 7. I might actually use IE once in a while then.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Remember that one guy who would sue anyone who used the word "edge" in their video game?

Oh my god, PLEASE come to Windows 7. I might actually use IE once in a while then.

Remember that you can upgrade to Windows 10 for free. And Edge is a Universal App. So I doubt Microsoft will port the entire framework to Windows 7.

So, in relation to Edge and all that - how would you say the performance of windows 10 is when compared to 8.1?  Any noticeable aspects of better performance like when comparing 7 to 8 / 8.1?  On top of that--how has Edge utilization of resources been?  Or in comparison to other browsers?

I have not done performance comparisons. Also it is a useless to do so with debug build of Windows, as performance is usually slower than release build. Also, let's not forget, we need Windows 10 drivers, and usually, manufacture first rush release their drivers, THEN they work on optimizations.

So far, however, on my system, Windows 10 is similar performance to Windows 8.1

I am about to install Windows 10 on my Surface Pro 2

Edge benchmark performance seams to be better than IE11, and Firefox. However, I don't know if it is because benchmark sites runs under compatibility mode where it uses IE11 engine, or debug build, or what is the story here, as the performance on these benchmarks is similar to IE11, while pages loads and seams to be more responsive than IE11, and Firefox.

It is best to wait for the Windows 10 official release to really know.

I don't expect it to be faster than Chrome, very doubtful for version 1.0 of a software. But it does support high-DPI, it does support multi-touch, digitize pen/inking, it has super smooth scrolling and zooming, and very responsive, without page draw issues when scrolling/zooming fast. These last points Chrome and Firefox both fail on that front. All that for me is important. For me speed is not everything, the entire package determine this. This is why I have been using Firefox.

Also, of course, Edge doesn't track you and build a profile on you and associate it all to your google account the moment you login onto one, as Chrome. To me, this is too much. I don't mind sharing my interest, and target ads, but I do mind making a profile out of me, and is open for selling with no expiry date.

In terms of resources, I haven't use it enough yet to compare. I am noticing it is using 1 process per tab like Chrome so far, but that ius why I am installing Windows 10 on my Surface Pro 2.. ok well not the only reason, but a reason.

Remember that you can upgrade to Windows 10 for free. And Edge is a Universal App. So I doubt Microsoft will port the entire framework to Windows 7.

1. Windows 10 is fugly.

2. I'm too lazy to do a clean install.

3. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

(I assume this is about sound)

I have tinnitus.....YAY ALL THAT MATTERS TO ME IS VOLUME (and to a lesser extent, the EQ, namely treble being set higher than base)

1. Windows 10 is fugly.

3. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I cannot agree more. The new "metro" look is f**king hideous, and I'd rather stick with W7 or switch to Linux if I have to.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

No no no no

The last thing we need in browsers are more proprietary, non-standard bullshit. Edge lacks support for a ton of free and open source media formats (WebM, Opus, VP8 and 9 etc) so I think Microsoft got their priorities all wrong.

1. Windows 10 is fugly.

(I assume this is about sound)

I have tinnitus.....YAY ALL THAT MATTERS TO ME IS VOLUME (and to a lesser extent, the EQ, namely treble being set higher than base)

I cannot agree more. The new "metro" look is f**king hideous, and I'd rather stick with W7 or switch to Linux if I have to.

Blame mobile devices for the ugly and supposedly modern look. Aero apparently saps battery life, but considering it puts no strain on a Quadro NVS 110M which is weaker than the GPU's most mobile devices have, I'm calling BS. I'm going to be seeing if its possible to get a Win 7 theme for Win 10 as soon as I can get one.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

My sempron is gonna rock the shit out of this feature..B)

Details separate people.

No no no no

The last thing we need in browsers are more proprietary, non-standard bullshit. Edge lacks support for a ton of free and open source media formats (WebM, Opus, VP8 and 9 etc) so I think Microsoft got their priorities all wrong.

Since when is dolby non standard?  it's been like the goto standard for Audio since before cassette tapes.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Since when is dolby non standard?  it's been like the goto standard for Audio since before cassette tapes.

What about THX?

PMSL

What about THX?

THX is a certification, not a format.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

THX is a certification, not a format.

Oh.

PMSL

Oh.

DTS is a format, so it could probably be implemented too. Many home theatre enthusiasts prefer DTS to dolby. To be honest I can't hear a difference.