Does your ping depend on the internet speed ?

Go to solution Solved by Blade of Grass,

Download and upload isn't a measure of speed. It is a measure of throughput. Ping on the other hand is DIRECTLY related to speed of the network.

If you want your ping to be better then you need to do a few things, better equipment will help. Finding a better modem, router, and adapters will all account for maybe 5ms better response time for each device. This is assuming that the equipment you have now is of average quality.

Other than that, the determining factor is the route that your data will take. For example, if you live in NYC and you're trying to get to a LA data center, if your data went from NYC > Chicago > Denver > LA that would be faster than lets say NYC > Chicago > Atlanta > Dallas > Denver > Seattle > LA. This part is really something you cant control and your ISP just has to get better.

Let's not get our terms mixed up. Download and upload is a measure of network throughput, and throughput is a measurement of speed. In networking speed refers to how fast you can send data (5MB per second, for example).

Now, latency on the other hand is how long it takes for the data to go from point a to point b. This is ping.

Ping times can be independent or dependent on speed. If your network is being maxed, then your ping will get higher (because packets have to wait in queue which takes up additional time), but, your network will usually have a 'base ping' that it will normally be around (assuming you're not mexed) because that is the time it physically takes for your data to travel through the network to the server.

I recently upgraded my broadband plan .. I used to get ping of about 150ms while playing on a server about 2000 miles away from my location ..

I had 10 down and 1 up ..

Now I've upgraded to 30down 6up thinking that i may get a better ping .. :(

But I'm still getting the same ping .. .. Why is that ??

And .. BTW. Which isp's have a good ping ??

How to make your droids snappier:

The ultimate laptop buying guide :

Ping has nothing to do with speed

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

I recently upgraded my broadband plan .. I used to get ping of about 150ms while playing on a server about 2000 miles away from my location ..

I had 10 down and 1 up ..

Now I've upgraded to 30down 6up thinking that i may get a better ping .. :(

But I'm still getting the same ping .. .. Why is that ??

And .. BTW. Which isp's have a good ping ??

If I recall correctly, your ping is gonna end up being based on the Host ISP Server location. Like for me when I upgraded from 15 down  1 up to 50 Down 5 Up my ping got worse because the Host ISP server was further away.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

Download and upload isn't a measure of speed. It is a measure of throughput. Ping on the other hand is DIRECTLY related to speed of the network.

If you want your ping to be better then you need to do a few things, better equipment will help. Finding a better modem, router, and adapters will all account for maybe 5ms better response time for each device. This is assuming that the equipment you have now is of average quality.

Other than that, the determining factor is the route that your data will take. For example, if you live in NYC and you're trying to get to a LA data center, if your data went from NYC > Chicago > Denver > LA that would be faster than lets say NYC > Chicago > Atlanta > Dallas > Denver > Seattle > LA. This part is really something you cant control and your ISP just has to get better.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

It's server. For like, when I play wot, there is no central server where I live so I have much higher ping on the east and west.

Ping is independent of speed, however it is related to connection quality and distance. So, if you have a poor connection ping will go up, and the longer the distance the more ping you will have. As for what ISP's have good ping, it varies, so there is no easy answer(as in, your neighbor could have Comcast and have 15ms of ping, while you have 45ms on Comcast, while I have 100ms on Comcast in a different city).

Let's not get our terms mixed up. Download and upload is a measure of network throughput, and throughput is a measurement of speed. In networking speed refers to how fast you can send data (5MB per second, for example).

Now, latency on the other hand is how long it takes for the data to go from point a to point b. This is ping.

Ping times can be independent or dependent on speed. If your network is being maxed, then your ping will get higher (because packets have to wait in queue which takes up additional time), but, your network will usually have a 'base ping' that it will normally be around (assuming you're not mexed) because that is the time it physically takes for your data to travel through the network to the server.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

-snip-

Although this is partly correct, throughput (speed along with capacity), and ping (latency) are not the same thing. You can have great speed and low ping (gigabit transfer speeds to a server, but takes minutes to connect), and vice versa (connects to server almost instantly, but transfer speeds of data are slow). This is why although the speed of today's WiFi technology is now excellent compared to, and in some cases faster, then gigabit Ethernet, going wired is still the best way to have the lowest latency.

"Rawr XD"

This is the best answer.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

Ping can also be to do with fibre or copper quality, I've know people to have 2mbps and have 13ms ping which is pretty insane for such low speed, heck mines the same as that on 80 down 20 up.

just don't plau servers that are so far away, play ones that are some what local, or maybe Google the best isp in your area and see if you can get a deal with them.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |