Gaming Rig built for Overclocking - Be Critical!

coolyr

So I'm about to make this purchase, but would love some input before I do. Be super critical if you can.

Am I getting too much cooling and not focusing on the CPU enough? Is my video card good for overclocking? Is this a really good SSD, or is there a better one? All tips and criticisms help and are greatly appreciated. I can stretch my budget a bit more if needed and get rid of the optical disc drive.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cb4KLk

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cb4KLk/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($199.99 @ Micro Center) 

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($91.99 @ Newegg) 

Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($129.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 

Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP920 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($89.99 @ Newegg) 

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($48.60 @ SuperBiiz) 

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($339.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($108.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

Power Supply: Corsair RM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.99 @ Newegg) 

Optical Drive: LG WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  ($53.10 @ SuperBiiz) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($84.45 @ OutletPC) 

Case Fan: Corsair Air Series SP120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 37.9 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($26.19 @ Newegg) 

Total: $1353.26

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-20 20:35 EDT-0400

So I'm about to make this purchase, but would love some input before I do. Be super critical if you can.

Am I getting too much cooling and not focusing on the CPU enough? Is my video card good for overclocking? Is this a really good SSD, or is there a better one? All tips and criticisms help and are greatly appreciated. I can stretch my budget a bit more if needed and get rid of the optical disc drive.

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($91.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card  ($329.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $1343.26
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-20 20:27 EDT-0400

swap the SSD for an 850 evo and it's golden.

my reason for the samsung drive isn't just performance, it's reliability, and their support. they recently just replaced a SSD where my friend broke the connector off, without the receipt and that is support that I respect and value.

swap the SSD for an 850 evo and it's golden.

my reason for the samsung drive isn't just performance, it's reliability, and their support. they recently just replaced a SSD where my friend broke the connector off, without the receipt and that is support that I respect and value.

Reliability?

TLC Nand..

SUPPORT?

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME, THEY HAVE WORST SUPPORT THAN STEAM. THEIR TECH SUPPORT IS NON EXISTENT AND ARE FUCKING GOD DAMN LAZY IDIOTS

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

Reliability?

TLC Nand..

SUPPORT?

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME, THEY HAVE WORST SUPPORT THAN STEAM. THEIR TECH SUPPORT IS NON EXISTENT AND ARE FUCKING GOD DAMN LAZY IDIOTS

So do you have any suggestions there m8?

So do you have any suggestions there m8?

I think the ssd you have is already awesome

Im not a fan of the H100i myself but that is just me. 

I'm not sure how many games you or anything like that but in today's world a 2TB HDD is the new 1TB. 

I think the ssd you have is already awesome

Seconded 

That said the EVO is a very good SSD arguably better but there isn't anything wrong the SP920, or a crucial mx100/200 with the exception of the EVO is probably faster but not noticeable in everyday use faster. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Im not a fan of the H100i myself but that is just me. 

I'm not sure how many games you or anything like that but in today's world a 2TB HDD is the new 1TB. 

Seconded 

Should I go with a 212 EVO and use the extra money for a 2TB HDD? Any suggestions on the HDD man?

Should I go with a 212 EVO and use the extra money for a 2TB HDD? Any suggestions on the HDD man?

Well if going from a 1TB to 2TB throws off your budget don't worry about at all. It wills till take you a while to use up 1TB. I was thinking if you wanted to it was an idea but far from necessary, I hesitated suggesting in the first place. 

212 EVO is good, but its a different class. The H100i is not bad in any means and is the most popular CLC/AIO out there but it also seems to be the most commonly to be complained about because of how many are out there. Some can break in a few months but a lot will never die, they have limited lifespans though. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Well if going from a 1TB to 2TB throws off your budget don't worry about at all. It wills till take you a while to use up 1TB. I was thinking if you wanted to it was an idea but far from necessary, I hesitated suggesting in the first place. 

212 EVO is good, but its a different class. The H100i is not bad in any means and is the most popular CLC/AIO out there but it also seems to be the most commonly to be complained about because of how many are out there. Some can break in a few months but a lot will never die, they have limited lifespans though. 

Well, I can always put more storage in later when I get more money. I might look around at more CPU coolers but I don't know where to start.

I know you haven't said anything about the video card, but what do you think of this one?: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-gtx970gaming4g?It's Radeon so I bet CoolaxGaming would have an opinion too?

I'd suggest stepping up to an H110, but you might have trouble fitting it and a rear fan into the Define

Well, I can always put more storage in later when I get more money. I might look around at more CPU coolers but I don't know where to start.

I know you haven't said anything about the video card, but what do you think of this one?: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-gtx970gaming4g?It's Radeon so I bet CoolaxGaming would have an opinion too?

I think its nice card but I haven't any experience with that card so I can't say yea it great it has no flaws at all. Reviews are good place to start especially the ones that overclock the cards and give their thoughts and results on that. 

Spoiler

I'd suggest stepping up to an H110, but you might have trouble fitting it and a rear fan into the Define

I think I'll get rid of the fans and buy them later if needed.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($219.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110 94.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($96.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card  ($329.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $1362.07
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-20 22:54 EDT-0400

Your build looks solid, now I know i'm a bit of an nVidina/intel fan so I would go with gtx 970 / 980. But if you will be only gaming then just go for AMDs GPU. Because you mentioned that you will be OC, pickup better PSU like EVGA Nex750w platinum.

Otherwise it looks okey. Just be careful with watercooling, you don't want it to leak allover your pc.

Good luck mate!

CPU: i7 5820K Motherboard: MSI x99A SLI PLUS RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2800mHz (4x4gb) GPU: MSI GeForce  GTX 980Ti Case: NZXT S340 Storage: 840 Evo 120gb and WD Blue 1TB  PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850W CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3

GTX 980 Ti (reference card) High Idle temps solution -

That card is pretty good. I like the color scheme on it and MSI is really good with gpus

Your build looks solid, now I know i'm a bit of an nVidina/intel fan so I would go with gtx 970 / 980. But if you will be only gaming then just go for AMDs GPU. Because you mentioned that you will be OC, pickup better PSU like EVGA Nex750w platinum.

Otherwise it looks okey. Just be careful with watercooling, you don't want it to leak allover your pc.

Good luck mate!

Well, I won't just be gaming but that's the main point of the build. Could I ask why you say that about the GPU? What sort of other things make a GPU a "gaming" GPU or not? Do some GPUs run certain media better or something?

Thanks m8!  :)

Well, I won't just be gaming but that's the main point of the build. Could I ask why you say that about the GPU? What sort of other things make a GPU a "gaming" GPU or not? Do some GPUs run certain media better or something?

Thanks m8! :)

There is not any gaming GPU. You can choose AMD or nVidias GPU for gaming. Main diference is in the programm language on the gpus. Some programmes (not games) read better nvidias program language named CUDA(best for editing - Adobe programmes) some other programms read better AMDs languages. It depends on why you'll be using gpu for. I think in gamig isn't that big of a difference, so you can pick whatever gpu best suits for you.

CPU: i7 5820K Motherboard: MSI x99A SLI PLUS RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2800mHz (4x4gb) GPU: MSI GeForce  GTX 980Ti Case: NZXT S340 Storage: 840 Evo 120gb and WD Blue 1TB  PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850W CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3

GTX 980 Ti (reference card) High Idle temps solution -

I think this thread may be dead but this is my final build. Gonna postpone buying the build till tomorrow to get a little more advice though. Will re-post this build if thread is dead.

Case: Corsair SPEC-03 Red ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($95.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($86.98 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $1226.10
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-22 06:07 EDT-0400