Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro vs DT880 Pro

ngs455

I am looking for a new pair of headphones and can't decide over the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro's or the DT880 Pro's. I will be using them for gaming and watching Youtube videos. Please tell me which ones you would recommend or if there are any others that you believe to be better please let me know. 

I have the 990 Pro 250ohm model and I love them.  There is just enough bass but the clarity is amazing.  I have SP2500's for my computer and I would always see Linus and Slick looking out the window and I would sit here and be like "what the hell are they looking at", after putting my headphones on I hear everything in the video to include the passing cars.  The 990's are comfortable and extremely light.  I can't recommend them enough.

990s are quite a colored headphone. If you like a crisp & detailed high end (arguably ear fatiguing) and deep, tight & punchy bass then 990s may be for you. The mid-range is a little recessed, however. They also have a low-mid frequency (125hz area) that I'm not too fond of, but with a little EQ that can easily be tamed. Soundstage is absolutely huge, too.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

I also have the DT 990's very comfortable, I also recommend them.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

Both are good. I'd say the 880 is the technically better of the two, but the 990 is preferred by many for having a fun sound.

I am looking for a new pair of headphones and can't decide over the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro's or the DT880 Pro's. I will be using them for gaming and watching Youtube videos. Please tell me which ones you would recommend or if there are any others that you believe to be better please let me know. 

I have the exact some problem. Im also looking into some akg headphones like the akg k612. I just made a post on the same problem as you too.

990s are quite a colored headphone. [snip] The mid-range is a little recessed, however.

Just out of curiosity, compared with what?

Every review says the 990s have recessed mids, so anyone who has looked into them says that.  It's common knowledge. But to the point, I was between the AKG612's and the 990's I went with the 990's because I wanted a wide sound stage and the 990's will give you that and then some.  To get headphones with good bass and non-recessed mids you have to spend 1000 dollars for a pair of Audeze. 

I'd say akg K7xx is a pretty good half way point between the 2 :P

Every review says the 990s have recessed mids, so anyone who has looked into them says that.  It's common knowledge. But to the point, I was between the AKG612's and the 990's I went with the 990's because I wanted a wide sound stage and the 990's will give you that and then some.  To get headphones with good bass and non-recessed mids you have to spend 1000 dollars for a pair of Audeze. 

Thanks for your personal opinion.

HE-400i

HE-400i

Those are highly recommended as well, at the 500 dollar price point you can't beat em.

Those are highly recommended as well, at the 500 dollar price point you can't beat em.

No shit Professor Audio, that's why I mentioned them in counter to your inane blanket statement.

Just out of curiosity, compared with what?

598s, for example.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

598s, for example.

This i don't get at all, according to headphone.com the opposite seems to be the case (http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2141&graphID[]=2241&graphID[]=2851&scale=30)...

Anyhoo, I like the 990's as well. Haven't tried the 880's so I can't say either way. Wait, what the hell am I doing in this thread? :lol:

This i don't get at all, according to headphone.com the opposite seems to be the case (http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2141&graphID[]=2241&graphID[]=2851&scale=30)...

Anyhoo, I like the 990's as well. Haven't tried the 880's so I can't say either way. Wait, what the hell am I doing in this thread? :lol:

More due to masking, the elevated treble (and bass on the 990) tends to conceal the mids somewhat. Personally, I appreciate the balance through 1-4kHz on the DT880, even though it too is accused of having "recessed" mids.

990s triumph over 598s for low end which is where the recessed midrange comes into play. Whether that is good or bad is subjective to the listener. 

More due to masking, the elevated treble (and bass on the 990) tends to conceal the mids somewhat. Personally, I appreciate the balance through 1-4kHz on the DT880, even though it too is accused of having "recessed" mids.

Keep reading reviews and putting the reviewers words as your own in forums.  When you gather some cash, buy the headphones, and come up with your OWN conclusion maybe you can start talking crap.  In no way are the HE-400i's the "perfect" headphone, once again you would have to spend 1000 bucks, which is really not that much, so to say my statement is inane either means you are broke or you are in denial. The DT990's are BUDGET headphones IMO, 150-200 dollars for a pair of headphones is a budget pair of headphones and anything less is not worth considering IMO.  I am not Professor Audio, my username is TechSilver13.  Bring it on SSL, I can sit here and type all day just like you...MY INTERNET INTELLECT IS OFF THE CHARTS HOMIE!

Keep reading reviews and putting the reviewers words as your own in forums.  When you gather some cash, buy the headphones, and come up with your OWN conclusion maybe you can start talking crap.  In no way are the HE-400i's the "perfect" headphone, once again you would have to spend 1000 bucks, which is really not that much, so to say my statement is inane either means you are broke or you are in denial. The DT990's are BUDGET headphones IMO, 150-200 dollars for a pair of headphones is a budget pair of headphones and anything less is not worth considering IMO.  I am not Professor Audio, my username is TechSilver13.  Bring it on SSL, I can sit here and type all day just like you...MY INTERNET INTELLECT IS OFF THE CHARTS HOMIE!

:blink:

Our perception of the word "budget" in the realm of headphones is obviously vastly different. 990 660ohms are on sale on Amazon for $299; that's nearing the upper limit of what I'm willing to spend on headphones ($450 pre-tax being the maximum) and not really what I'd consider "budget". Now, $1000 for headphones is absolutely ludacrious, IMO. 

To me, $50-$100 are budget headphones. If you feel $1000 isn't a ridiculous amount to spend on headphones, then of course anything even half the price will seem "budget" oriented. 

My 0.02 cents.

They are my own conclusions, Mr. Moneybags.

I wish I had that much money..

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2