Relatively cheap TV. What's the catch?

gilgameshflood

It's a "VU Luxury Television" 

I have never heard of that brand so you don't know what their customer service or warranty is like. For all you know there may not be a warranty.

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

Most 55 inch 4K(or UHD) TV's cost almost double the amount of money of this one:

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/vu-55k160-55-inches-4k/1069754374#bcrumbSearch:55%20inc%204k ( VU 55XT780)

What makes it so different? How good is it compared to a sony bravia?

a TV is both the sum of it's parts and (believe it or not, the company behind it) I would only buy a TV like this if I could directly compare the exact tv I was purchasing (not just the same model) with the competition, as there is much more to a TV than just size, resolution and refresh rate. there are other things they won't tell you like panel technology, panel manufacturer, panel quality, controller/scaler quality, upscaling etc.

for example: I have a samsung smart TV, but it is a low end model. the exact same TV is available all over the place, and it receives glowing reviews, mediocre reviews, and bad reviews from different people because although they bought the "same" TV, the panel inside was one of 3 or so different manufacturers, one of which was samsung and the only way to know was to look at the version number and know which version numbers were samsung(which you wouldn't see online, only in store)

TL;DR:

I know nothing about the company or the TV, but I don't recommend buying a TV that you can't take a look at in person unless there are LOTS of honest reviews to back it up and a good return policy(that they actually honor)

It's a "VU Luxury Television" 

I have never heard of that brand so you don't know what their customer service or warranty is like. For all you know there may not be a warranty.

The website says 1 year warranty, I think there is an extension of warranty plan too. Not sure about the quality of its images and if it has any problems. No reviews on that.

a TV is both the sum of it's parts and (believe it or not, the company behind it) I would only buy a TV like this if I could directly compare the exact tv I was purchasing (not just the same model) with the competition, as there is much more to a TV than just size, resolution and refresh rate. there are other things they won't tell you like panel technology, panel manufacturer, panel quality, controller/scaler quality, upscaling etc.

for example: I have a samsung smart TV, but it is a low end model. the exact same TV is available all over the place, and it receives glowing reviews, mediocre reviews, and bad reviews from different people because although they bought the "same" TV, the panel inside was one of 3 or so different manufacturers, one of which was samsung and the only way to know was to look at the version number and know which version numbers were samsung(which you wouldn't see online, only in store)

TL;DR:

I know nothing about the company or the TV, but I don't recommend buying a TV that you can't take a look at in person unless there are LOTS of honest reviews to back it up and a good return policy(that they actually honor)

I think I will go with sony bravia then. I love the images and I feel it has best 3D. Many reviews too(though not as detailed about panels like you mentioned).

Here's the catch.  

In electronics, there is a reason behind a $4000 Oscilloscope and a cheap ass Chinese one.  Partially features, mostly design and components.

You see, not all surface mount devices, capacitors, etc are created equal.  Brands like Nichicon create very high quality caps, where random Chinese brands are rated to have a much lower temp tolerance and generally the electrolyte inside will dry up quicker, or the cap will fail much faster.  

From watching the glorious EEV Blog, I'd have to say the most common failure of cheap TVs and consumer electronics is bad quality parts without adequate cooling, or parts being used which are simply not reliable.

For example, the Power Supply in this TV will undoubtedly be absolute crap; some pre made PSU from another generic manufacturer simply slapped inside.  Components like those can fail very quickly, and although replaceable likely won't be done through the.. and I shudder at this.. warranty service.  

In summary, it costs less due to crappier components, less rigorous board design and generally shit QC and generic crap component selection.

Here's the catch.  

In electronics, there is a reason behind a $4000 Oscilloscope and a cheap ass Chinese one.  Partially features, mostly design and components.

You see, not all surface mount devices, capacitors, etc are created equal.  Brands like Nichicon create very high quality caps, where random Chinese brands are rated to have a much lower temp tolerance and generally the electrolyte inside will dry up quicker, or the cap will fail much faster.  

From watching the glorious EEV Blog, I'd have to say the most common failure of cheap TVs and consumer electronics is bad quality parts without adequate cooling, or parts being used which are simply not reliable.

For example, the Power Supply in this TV will undoubtedly be absolute crap; some pre made PSU from another generic manufacturer simply slapped inside.  Components like those can fail very quickly, and although replaceable likely won't be done through the.. and I shudder at this.. warranty service.  

In summary, it costs less due to crappier components, less rigorous board design and generally shit QC and generic crap component selection.

Thanks for the info. I'll stay away from these brands.

Here's the catch.  

I <3 EEVBlog

I wish I could afford just one of the O-scopes he's been playing with.