How To Tell If My CPU Is a Bottleneck?

So I brought another r9 290x reference cooler (full specs in sig) and I'm not getting the performance boost I hoped for at all, less than 20% increase in fps in all games! And some games actually run worse. My cpu is a non overclocked FX 8320. What do you guys think?

PCPP http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Vg96f7 CPU: Intel i7 4790K MoBo: Gigabyte Z97X S.O.C Ram: G.Skill 2x 8gb GPU: 2x AMD R9 290x in CrossFire SoundCard: Creative Sound Blaster z Case: NZXT H440 RED/BLK Storage: 2x Intel 520s 120gb Raid 0 + 2tb Seagate 7200 PSU: EVGA 1000W G2 Fully Modular Display: Samsung UHD 4K 28'' KeyBoard: Corsair K65 RGB Mouse: Cyborg R.A.T 7 Sound: Logitech z506 OS: Windows 10 TP

Yes your CPU is definitely bottlenecking it

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

100% chance of a bottleneck if what you said is happening.

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

You can tell it's a CPU bottleneck by the fact that this thread exists every week, and the only similarity between them all is an FX series processor.

You have a massive CPU bottleneck.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

So I brought another r9 290x reference cooler (full specs in sig) and I'm not getting the performance boost I hoped for at all, less than 20% increase in fps in all games! And some games actually run worse. My cpu is a non overclocked FX 8320. What do you guys think?

Run HWMonitor, HWinfo64 or MSI Afterburner. Monitor your GPU Load % vs your CPU Load %. If your CPU is sitting pinned at 100% and your GPU is below 95-99% then you're bottlenecked.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

depends on the game

Open up task manager, if any of your cores are pinned at 100%, its a bottleneck. Thats how you tell. Yes, it most likely is, but it depends on usage, in some cases the GPUs will be the bottleneck. but you have what, 600$ of gpus to a 120$ cpu? 

depends on the game

Open up task manager, if any of your cores are pinned at 100%, its a bottleneck. Thats how you tell. Yes, it most likely is, but it depends on usage, in some cases the GPUs will be the bottleneck. but you have what, 600$ of gpus to a 120$ cpu? 

100% does not mean bottleneck. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

One way to tell if a CPU is bottlenecking your GPU is if your GPU doesn't consistently hit full load with V-Sync off.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Yes there's definitely a bottleneck. Honestly if you can return that 290X and use the money to switch to Intel instead before upgrading your graphics.

"Rawr XD"

100% on any core means its most likely the bottlneck?

Well, no not necessarily. It depends on the game.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Run HWMonitor, HWinfo64 or MSI Afterburner. Monitor your GPU Load % vs your CPU Load %. If your CPU is sitting pinned at 100% and your GPU is below 95-99% then you're bottlenecked.

CPU doesn't need to pinned at 100% since the load changes over time. Just for a very simple example, you could be getting 60 frames per second where the CPU is at 100% the first 20 frames which take half a second (so rate of 40 fps) while the load drops for the next half of a second where 40 frames get pumped out (80 fps).

Simply looking at CPU usage isn't enough. Core usage is more accurate (since usually when a bottleneck occurs it's one thread getting pushed too hard, not the entire CPU), but the best thing is to monitor frame latency if possible. This will determine whether the CPU is causing frames to be delayed since it isn't fast enough to keep up.

Battlefield 4 has an excellent overlay graph you can draw in the corner using the PerfOverlay.DrawGraph 1 command in the console (~) and it will tell you the latency caused by the CPU and GPU in the corner. If you have no CPU bottleneck they should have the same latency almost or higher GPU latency, while if you do have a CPU bottleneck you will consistently see high CPU latency spikes.

I would say that for the simplest monitoring, >95% GPU usage means you don't have any significant bottleneck while under 95% GPU usage and you're probably being held back by the CPU to some degree.... but in multi-GPU setups both GPUs often don't get fully utilized

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

100% on any core means its most likely the bottlneck?

In this case yes, but if there is 100% CPU usage on any core, that does not mean an bottleneck. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

We told you a long time ago that your CPU is the bottleneck for a single 290, and you bought a 2nd?

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

100% does not mean bottleneck. 

Yeah, depends on the game.

Games like Battlefield 4, 100% would mean you likely have a CPU bottleneck... whereas some games will almost always have 100% CPU on any CPU. For example on my i5-4690K in GTA V my CPU is constantly at 100% most of the time (except at some times it hangs around the 40-60% range), but this doesn't change regardless of what I have the settings set to. Via testing at 720P I found that my 4690K doesn't become a bottleneck for GTA V until around 90 FPS at higher settings. So the CPU usage in GTA V tells me absolutely nothing about how strong my CPU needs to be.

I'm not sure where this extra load comes from, but I've seen it in a few games. For GTA V I have a suspicion that extra CPU power goes to processing stuff like NPC and vehicle movement for the server since traffic is really bizarre moving in GTA Online. In Offline I'm guessing extra CPU power means more NPCs, traffic on screen or more variety in these things.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

We told you a long time ago that your CPU is the bottleneck for a single 290, and you bought a 2nd?

When was this. I don't remember that at all.

PCPP http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Vg96f7 CPU: Intel i7 4790K MoBo: Gigabyte Z97X S.O.C Ram: G.Skill 2x 8gb GPU: 2x AMD R9 290x in CrossFire SoundCard: Creative Sound Blaster z Case: NZXT H440 RED/BLK Storage: 2x Intel 520s 120gb Raid 0 + 2tb Seagate 7200 PSU: EVGA 1000W G2 Fully Modular Display: Samsung UHD 4K 28'' KeyBoard: Corsair K65 RGB Mouse: Cyborg R.A.T 7 Sound: Logitech z506 OS: Windows 10 TP

When was this. I don't remember that at all.

Time and time again, more times than I can remember in the typical FX Vs. Intel threads.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

your CPU is no match for even one of these high end GPU's...let alone two of them!

You run 750$ worth of GPU's on a 119$ CPU what do you expect?

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

It really comes down to the game your playing and framerate your trying to reach. You'll get 60fps+ in 99% of games. (if your settings/gpu allow it)

Edit: I really need sleep

It really comes down to the game your playing and framerate your trying to reach. You'll get 60fps+ in 99% of games. (if your settings/gpu allow it)

Well just so every one knows I live in Australia the land of high prices so I paid around $1000 for both my GPU and $200 for my CPU.

Edit: I really need sleep

Not running a 4K I dont