The Witcher 3 was downgraded from what was shown in 2013 - Now with PS4 Comparison video

No, what's holding PC games back is PC gamers. If people actually gave as much of a shit as they claimed to they would put more money into the market and abandon piracy all together. The money simply isn't there to make the risk worth it for most studios. The blunt truth is there aren't enough people spending enough money for it to be a dominate market.

PC hardware sells way more than console hardware and in 2014 the sales of PC games surpassed the sales of console games so that's false too.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/business/item/36658-pc-games-are-now-outselling

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/gs-news-top-5-sony-at-a-1-3bn-loss-pc-games-outsel/2300-6418629/

And console piracy is not a thing either, right?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

it is an expansion pack, like d2 lod or wow expansions. dlc is just free content.

Alright, it is starting to get really annoying that people still believe this. Let me ask you: what do you do with expansion packs for them to work with the game? You download them. DLC is short for "downloadable content", so expansions fit under this umbrella. 

This claim about it being "the kind of DLC that everybody knows about" is a petty cop-out at best. DLC does not automatically limit itself to the likes of micro-transactions or small-scale items; it applies to everything that is downloadable for the game in question.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

No, what's holding PC games back is PC gamers. If people actually gave as much of a shit as they claimed to they would put more money into the market and abandon piracy all together. The money simply isn't there to make the risk worth it for most studios. The blunt truth is there aren't enough people spending enough money for it to be a dominate market.

People spend a lot in WoW and DOTA and the like, free to pay games are a billion (or more) industry.

But games like Witcher? Crisis? Even Assassins Creed or hell, the full on sim racer Project Cars - the market is spectacular sad and small. Developers (much less publishers) can't rely on the PC crowd to sustain their heavy budget games.

Of course, you have oddities like Star Citizen, but good luck getting half the shit they promised (I'm saying this as a backer who has put in way too much money).

It's easier to blame the hardware than it is to accept the brutal fact that developers just don't give a shit about one specific platform anymore. They need to have their feet in everything to stay sustainable. You don't front tens of millions in budgets on the hopes that the PC Mustard Race will get you in the black. There are exceptions, but the rule still exists for everyone else.

PC hardware sells way more than console hardware and in 2014 the sales of PC games surpassed the sales of console games so that's false too.http://www.siliconrepublic.com/business/item/36658-pc-games-are-now-outsellinghttp://www.gamespot.com/videos/gs-news-top-5-sony-at-a-1-3bn-loss-pc-games-outsel/2300-6418629/

And console piracy is not a thing either, right?

PC hardware sells more, but are you seriously trying to imply it's all going to gaming machines? PC games bring in more money, when you include MMOs, free to play games, and Facebook shit. We're talking about the core games market though, were AAA games live.

Did I say it didn't? It doesn't effect consoles as much as it does PC though. The whole "consoles have piracy too" arguement is stupid and doesn't change the effect not actualy buying the fucking games has on the PC.

Jesus, have you read the OP? We're not pretending anything, CDPR admitted they programmed to the lowest common denominator because consoles couldn't handle PC graphics, between that, Ubisofts 30FPS statement and MS's resolution is just a number statement its blatantly obvious consoles are holding PCs back.

Next gen consoles which can't play next gen games at as high graphics fidelity as last gen consoles could play last gen games. That's a joke.

1. I am not Jesus.

2. My last post wasn't targetted at you. You said you agreed with me that devs were the problem, in which case we should not be arguing. It was targetted at people who think that consoles rather than shoddy game devs are the bane of pc gaming.

3. Stop calling them next-gen. That should be a term used for unreleased products.

4. Why are you saying that they can't play games in the same fidelity as last gen consoles played last gen games? What does that statement even mean? How do you difectly compare last gen graphical fidelity vs consoles power then vs now? Devs always make trade offs, if they wanted everything to run at 1080p 60fps they would have to trade off other aspects of the games graphics- so they choose where to make those compromises. And those compromises always happen because no machine is infinitely powerful- it happens on PC too. Even flagship pc titles like Star Citizen will not just throw in everything they want- they will consider performance targets. The performance of the consoles seems to be in line with what you pay for the hardware.

5. I would argue that pc gaming and console gaming both help each other indirectly. Games get ported both ways so both benefit from the other's existence. Most people don't have the tech savvy to get into pc gaming. The existence of consoles means that the overall core gamer demographic which devs can sell to is much larger which is a good thing for us.

In the end, does it really matter? They have explained themselves why they did it and how. So do we judge an unreleased game at all? Cant we all just wait and see if its a good game or not? I for is still excited about this game so before I judge this game I will play it and form my own opinion. And to be honest, they do deserve money just because the fact that they release a DRM-free game this day and age and atleast they trust us in the PC-market enough to do this.

More respect for CDPR and stop biggering before you atleast have the played the damned thing.

Harr, darr and a couple of....... plastic earings?

LTC Wallet: LMiWdifKAN546FjyRspfhmfBWidyRPeEUK

And from the steam hardware surveys I can see that there are probably millions and millions of PC gamers still using old GPUs like Geforce 560 or 460. Some even 9800gt or worse still Intel HD4000.

Those guys have much weaker hardware and are holding us back much more than the new consoles. Right?

We should ban them too..

Are you trolling or just very confused? Games have these things called options menus, you can scale how good your game looks to match your hardware.

The difference is people with GTX 460s and HD 4000s expect to turn the graphics settings down to play the game, whereas what happens with consoles is that in order to not give any platform an edge they become the benchmark that limits what "ultra" looks like on a PC with a 5960X and dual Titan Xs, or with a Pentium and a 260X. It stops mattering what hardware you have.

Someone else has thrown around the word "elitist" in this thread and I'm still waiting for an explanation of what, exactly, is wrong with wanting to get use out of something you paid for.

In the end, does it really matter? They have explained themselves why they did it and how. So do we judge an unreleased game at all? Cant we all just wait and see if its a good game or not? I for is still excited about this game so before I judge this game I will play it and form my own opinion. And to be honest, they do deserve money just because the fact that they release a DRM-free game this day and age and atleast they trust us in the PC-market enough to do this.

More respect for CDPR and stop biggering before you atleast have the played the damned thing.

McDonald's has a Big Mac meal for about 5 bucks. They make it look like the most tasty burger in existence in their old commercials and on their menu, but you don't actually get the burger that's portrayed there. But people still buy it because its 5 bucks.

When developers show off their product then downgrade the visuals after they've been creating hype with those visuals, that makes it a problem. They're charging a $60 price tag for a game that's not going to look (supposedly) like it did during the hype trains they created.

It wouldn't be such a problem if they charged less than what they do, but they want 60 bucks for a game that is (supposedly) going to look subpar to its hype videos? Nah. I'll wait for it to go on sale.

Alright, it is starting to get really annoying that people still believe this. Let me ask you: what do you do with expansion packs for them to work with the game? You download them. DLC is short for "downloadable content", so expansions fit under this umbrella. 

This claim about it being "the kind of DLC that everybody knows about" is a petty cop-out at best. DLC does not automatically limit itself to the likes of micro-transactions or small-scale items; it applies to everything that is downloadable for the game in question.

haha so what, you think they will throw full expansions after you for free, is this how it works in your point of view? you can call it dlc, expansion pack and heck i don't care tbh, but just think sane about this...
If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.

McDonald's has a Big Mac meal for about 5 bucks. They make it look like the most tasty burger in existence in their old commercials and on their menu, but you don't actually get the burger that's portrayed there. But people still buy it because its 5 bucks.

When developers show off their product then downgrade the visuals after they've been creating hype with those visuals, that makes it a problem. They're charging a $60 price tag for a game that's not going to look (supposedly) like it did during the hype trains they created.

It wouldn't be such a problem if they charged less than what they do, but they want 60 bucks for a game that is (supposedly) going to look subpar to its hype videos? Nah. I'll wait for it to go on sale.

Mcdonalds then released a hamburger that looked just like the in the video, with all the goodness and taste, but every time you tried taking a bite you had to logon to your social account and type three sentences that included hamburger and mcdonalds. Not only did you have to logon to your social account, but you also had to install social club and create a new account there that also required you to put in additional money to take another bite of the hamburger. I would not even touch this hamburger with a 200 feet pitchfork, not even on sale. So I would support a developer that actually trusts me.

Its your choice if you judge the game pre-launch not mine, I for one will at least support them and hope they release more DRM-free games in the future and hope they made enough money on this so they can upgrade the engine and create an even more (hopefully) awesome game.

Harr, darr and a couple of....... plastic earings?

LTC Wallet: LMiWdifKAN546FjyRspfhmfBWidyRPeEUK

You also "download" the game but would you call the entire game DLC? "The Witcher 3 is just really expensive DLC". Is Windows DLC too? is Steam DLC? All of the things I have mentioned is content that you have downloaded, so if you take DLC literally then yes, all of them are DLC.

I think it is perfectly reasonable to use DLC as a term for minor things like horse armor, skins and such, and expansion packs for big chunks of extra content which adds several hours of gameplay.

The meaning of words are determined by how they are used, and it seems fairly common to separate DLC and expansion this way.

after all I knew it would end up like this, or some other pathetic not in any way relevant to the game scenario, and I have said it long time ago on this forum. All those new ppl to this game, like 90% just by looking at pre-order numbers, just smash on this game like its crysis all over again - fuck, its witcher, its an one of its kind rpg that never ever was meant to set the bar higher on the "new-gen" graphics, but the ohh so glorious "master race" community tramples on some shitty downgrades, dlcs or fucking nvidia hair works ... good job gaben.

If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.

after all I knew it would end up like this and I have said it long time ago on this forum. All those new ppl to this game, like 90% just by looking at pre-order numbers, just smash on this game like its crysis all over again - fuck, its witcher, its an one of its kind rpg that never ever was meant to set the bar higher on the "new-gen" graphics, but the ohh so glorious "master race" community tramples on some shitty downgrades, dlcs or fucking nvidia hair works ... good job gaben.

If you telling a woman you last longer than 5 minutes in the sheets but you finish in less than 2 is okay, then go for it. That won't be awkward at all.

Exactly...

Maccy D's big Mac advert does not show anything which isn't on the burger you buy from them, CDPR released screenshots of what the game looked like over a year ago, that drummed up hype and sales for them, they then backtracked and released a game which was not representitive of the material they made available to us. That's called misrepresentation and in any other industry is illegal. Using your analogy Maccy D's could not show a big Mac picture showing bacon as there's no bacon on the burger, in gaming they can show one thing then sell another and there's no one to stop them.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

If you telling a woman you last longer than 5 minutes in the sheets but you finish in less than 2 is okay, then go for it. That won't be awkward at all.

Well you know... If you met her in 2013 and for some reason had a video of you managing it for 5 minutes, then you didn't end up having sex until 2015 and you didn't last more than 2 minutes I doubt she would go "you lied! in the video you lasted longer!"

I don't get how this conversation can still be going. The game is out in a few days and we will have the answers then. Lots of unnecessary fighting over something that is currently unconfirmed speculation (no I don't think a video of an early build with YouTube's 720p compression, not even 1080p, and unknown video settings counts as being confirmed).

haha so what, you think they will throw full expansions after you for free, is this how it works in your point of view? you can call it dlc, expansion pack and heck i don't care tbh, but just think sane about this...

I never said they will provide it for free; they themselves did. If they are going to say "all DLC is free", then they should stick to their word. A development company says that "all DLC is free", and then later says "oh no expansions do not count, expansions are not DLCs although you still download them". Does that not look incredibly evasive to you?

You also "download" the game but would you call the entire game DLC? "The Witcher 3 is just really expensive DLC". Is Windows DLC too? is Steam DLC? All of the things I have mentioned is content that you have downloaded, so if you take DLC literally then yes, all of them are DLC.

I think it is perfectly reasonable to use DLC as a term for minor things like horse armor, skins and such, and expansion packs for big chunks of extra content which adds several hours of gameplay.

The meaning of words are determined by how they are used, and it seems fairly common to separate DLC and expansion this way.

I think you missed the point of what I said here:

DLC does not automatically limit itself to the likes of micro-transactions or small-scale items; it applies to everything that is downloadable for the game in question.

I said that all and any of the content that is added to the game is DLC by definition. When did I say that the game itself, let alone an operating system, is DLC? A general advice; please stop twisting the conversation off the tangent and stick to the damn point!

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

then backtracked and released a game which was not representitive of the material they made available to us. 

It's not released yet.  Your whole point makes no sense now.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

I said that all and any of the content that is added to the game is DLC by definition. When did I say that the game itself, let alone an operating system, is DLC? A general advice; please stop twisting the conversation off the tangent and stick to the damn point!

DLC by definition word for word, sure, you could make the argument that a downloadable expansion is DLC.  But has it been used as such definition by mainstream media?  NO!  A VAST majority of time DLC is ever mentioned is in regards to small inconsequential bits of nonsense that devs release for a fiver or more.  You are going by the literal definition of DLC, when it has never been used as such.

It's not released yet.  Your whole point makes no sense now.

Yes it is, reviewers have been playing it for weeks now. There's even a PC/PS4 graphics comparison in the OP.

Yes it is, reviewers have been playing it for weeks now. There's even a PC/PS4 graphics comparison in the OP.

Not for PC it isn't.  PC codes were never given out.  It's not a review embargo on the PC as well, it's just reviewers never got the game to even play with.  I don't trust random Russian videos over hugely more established review sites.

Today, the review embargo for CD Projekt Red’s The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt lifted. There will be reviews out there in the untamed wilds of the Internet. You can read them! But none of those reviews will be of the PC version. While review copies of The Witcher 3 were sent out for the PlayStation 4 more than a week ago, PC code is still missing in action, despite being pre-loadable on Steam. Bandai Namco tells us that this is because a big day-one patch hasn't been finalised on PC in time for today's review embargo, but will be ready for worldwide release next Tuesday.

http://www.pcgamer.com/when-is-our-witcher-3-review-coming/

Edited by Samfisher

could we include the downsampled from 5K PC screenshots too, for at least fairness's sake?

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/The-Witcher-3-PC-237266/News/Maximale-Grafik-1158918/galerie/2373247/

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

They've been able to play the console version for probably a couple weeks. PC keys didn't go out until after the embargo was up, so only a few days at most. There is also a day 1 patch not released to anyone yet. So no one has seen the final version of the PC game. Won't magically turn it into the early demonstration but still.

DLC by definition word for word, sure, you could make the argument that a downloadable expansion is DLC.  But has it been used as such definition by mainstream media?  NO!  A VAST majority of time DLC is ever mentioned is in regards to small inconsequential bits of nonsense that devs release for a fiver or more.  You are going by the literal definition of DLC, when it has never been used as such.

While you do raise a good point, the issue here is that the scope of which a content is small or large in respect to a game, is not very well defined. In fact, it lies in the grey zone most of the time, as I have seen several large "DLC" as well as several very small and insignificant expansion packs.

While you do raise a good point, the issue here is that the scope of which a content is small or large in respect to a game, is not very well defined. In fact, it lies in the grey zone most of the time, as I have seen several large "DLC" as well as several very small and insignificant expansion packs.

Fortunately for this discussion, CDP has promised 20-30 hours of gameplay with their 2 expansions, which IMO is as long or longer than most games in their entirety.

Not for PC it isn't.  PC codes were never given out.  It's not a review embargo on the PC as well, it's just reviewers never got the game to even play with.  I don't trust random Russian videos over hugely more established review sites.

http://www.pcgamer.com/when-is-our-witcher-3-review-coming/

The game was being streamed on twitch today.

There is pc footage all over yotube and comparisons of the 2013 versions and this one.