1440p 21:9 Ultrawide- which one?

blu4

Hey,

I'd like to hear options from you on various ultra wide 1440p monitors. I am edging forward to buy one, to replace my 4K screen but I need the new monitor to be PER-FECT in every way. I need it to be IPS and 32' minimum. I'd like to keep it under £500 ($800). 

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

You wont find them under 32". This one is the height of a normal 1440p, but wider (no shit). This is also the standard size, and LinusTech swears by it http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34UM95-P-ultrawide-monitor

“I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart

Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

Hey,

I'd like to hear options from you on various ultra wide 1440p monitors. I am edging forward to buy one, to replace my 4K screen but I need the new monitor to be PER-FECT in every way. I need it to be IPS and 32' minimum. I'd like to keep it under £500. 

This is a totaly not related question. But I was thinking of moving to 4K. Why do you want to get rid of it? What are the benefits of moving to 1440p ultrawide?

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

I don't think your going to find one with those specs even close to that price. 

Current: R2600X@4.0GHz\\ Corsair Air 280x \\ RTX 2070 \\ 16GB DDR3 2666 \\ 1KW EVGA Supernova\\ Asus B450 TUF

Old Systems: A6 5200 APU -- A10 7800K + HD6670 -- FX 9370 + 2X R9 290 -- G3258 + R9 280 -- 4690K + RX480

You wont find them under 32". This one is the height of a normal 1440p, but wider (no shit). This is also the standard size, and LinusTech swears by it http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34UM95-P-ultrawide-monitor

Dude, under £500 and minimum 32'. Can you read?

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

Go here. Its a 34" LG and is IPS.   :D

CPU: i7 4790k Devil's Canyon MOBO: G1.SNIPER | GPU: GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0+ | CPU-COOLER: CM Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: G.Skill Sniper X 8GB

PSU: Corsair CX600 | CASE: Corsair 760T | MONITOR: Vizio 32in HDTV | HDD & SDD: Kingston 256GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD

This is a totaly not related question. But I was thinking of moving to 4K. Why do you want to get rid of it? What are the benefits of moving to 1440p ultrawide?

The GPU horsepower you need is insane to drive a 4K monitor with ultra settings. You need at least 980 SLI to get 60 FPS ultra settings in every game. I am running GTA 5 with two 970 and I have to turn down some settings, it still runs at 60FPS pinned. New games are going to hit the 4GB buffer quite soon and I doubt that a 6GB card is going to be cheap. 

Dude, under £500 and minimum 32'. Can you read?

Thats like asking for a 970 with 3GB of vRAM thats under $200. Come on man... They dont exist. The standard size is 34", so I'm pretty sure they dont make them smaller than that with 1440p. The baseline cost is too much to price it under 500. Its like how 1440p just got under 500 in recent years, and most are still over.

“I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart

Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

The GPU horsepower you need is insane to drive a 4K monitor with ultra settings. You need at least 980 SLI to get 60 FPS ultra settings in every game. I am running GTA 5 with two 970 and I have to turn down some settings, it still runs at 60FPS pinned. New games are going to hit the 4GB buffer quite soon and I doubt that a 6GB card is going to be cheap. 

I see, I was thinking about moving away from my Eyefinity setup (5760x1080p) not because of the GPU horsepower point of view. But due to the limitations with games either not supporting it or just becoming unstable when using it. My only issue is if i choose to move from 3 screens to 1 screen I will only have 1 monitor and im so used to 3! :P

But thanks for your insight :)

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Thats like asking for a 970 with 3GB of vRAM thats under $200. Come on man... They dont exist. The standard size is 34", so I'm pretty sure they dont make them smaller than that with 1440p. The baseline cost is too much to price it under 500. Its like how 1440p just got under 500 in recent years, and most are still over.

For the love of god..

Minimum 32' = at least 32' = 32' or more.

The Dell U3415w is nice. Not sure if it fits your budget, check with your local Dell store.

There are four main options for 1440p 21:9 monitors--

LG (flat or curved, U34M95 is flat one, 34" 1440p)

Samsung (some alphabet soup name, 34" 1440p)

Dell (U3415w, curved 34", 1440p)

AOC (curved 34", 1440p, euro zone only iirc)

All are IPS, LG makes panels for Dell.

The Dell has the best stand and great warranty. I know nothing about the Samsung besides its existence. The AOC doesn't exist here, so I don't know much about it.

The Dell U3415w is nice. Not sure if it fits your budget, check with your local Dell store.

LG (flat or curved, U34M95 is flat one, 34" 1440p)

All are IPS, LG makes panels for Dell.

The Dell has the best stand and great warranty. I know nothing about the Samsung besides its existence. The AOC doesn't exist here, so I don't know much about it.

this is really useful for me. im in a similar situation. which one would you choose and why? i mainly game on my pc

this is really useful for me. im in a similar situation. which one would you choose and why? i mainly game on my pc

They're all essentially the same, specs-wise. Pick the one that you can afford that offers the best warranty and stand.

I can't really speak to gaming on these. I've had the (Dell) monitor since mid-March, and have gamed maybe a total of 5 hours on it since then. Sure makes for a great gaming experience though.

Hey,

I'd like to hear options from you on various ultra wide 1440p monitors. I am edging forward to buy one, to replace my 4K screen but I need the new monitor to be PER-FECT in every way. I need it to be IPS and 32' minimum. I'd like to keep it under £500 ($800). 

I just ordered the Samsung ultrawide, ill let u know my experience in a few days :)

LG (flat or curved, U34M95 is flat one, 34" 1440p)

All are IPS, LG makes panels for Dell.

The Samsung is a VA panel of IPS