FX-8350 v i5-4690K

Go to solution Solved by AlanTheEmu,

I hate to go off topic... but what are the advantages with the Xeon E3 1231 V3... Never have I really heard of it

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 is basically an i7 as in its a quad core with 4 threads which is what you want for rendering the only reason its cheaper than an i7 is because it doesn't have an iGPU and you can't overclock it which could turn out to be an advantage since H97 motherboards tend to be cheaper than Z97.

Now, before all the fan boys start jumping down my throat... let me have a second to explain myself.

I am going to school for drafting and am looking to build a computer to run programs such as AutoCAD, Inventor, and Revit.

I have been liking the i5; but the more research that I do, the more I am liking the FX-8350.

I have heard that the FX is better for rendering due to the greater amount of cores it contains.

Also, based on cpubenchmarks.com, it shows that the FX is a better rated CPU.

Can anybody give me more information in the difference between these two CPUs and which one I should use for my application?

Oh boy, here we go. AMD vs. Intel. 

Project Tomahawk:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Hero

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i

Memory: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1866 Mhz

GPU: Asus Strix RX 480

PSU: Corsair RM1000

Storage: 2x Western Digital 2TB Enterprise + 240GB Crucial M500 SSD

Case: Corsair Air 540

Additional: Cablemod C-Series black/red kit, SP120, AF140 and AF140 w/ red LED's all around

Project Frankenstein:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX 6100

Motherboard: MSI 970 SLI Krait Edition

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Memory: 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1866 Mhz

GPU: MSI R9 280 3G Twin Frozr

PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W

Storage: Western Digital 1TB Enterprise + 240GB Partiot Torch SSD

Case: Fractal Design Define S

Sheila (Server):

Spoiler

Dell R210:
CPU: Intel Xeon x3450

Memory: 12GB Crucial ECC 1600 Mhz

Storage: Seagate 3TB Constellation 

Marvin (Server)

Spoiler

Dell R210ii

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1230v2

Memory: 12GB Crucial ECC 1600Mhz

Storage: Seagate 3TB Constellation

My 8350 works far better than a friends 4960K at virtualization and rendering tasks. Don't give a damn what others say, I've watched my stock 8350 out the stock i5 with some pretty basic multitasking, well, tasks. In terms of single threaded use, the 4960 is better, but with multithreaded use, I've seen my 8350 pull ahead marginally.

That's just my input though, I heavily encourage you to listen to other users as well. And as always, take every recommendation with a grain of salt, people seem to hate AMD no matter what and always pull the Intel card when both CAN be viable options, like in this situation.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

Alright, there's a time and place for everything. Though for the majority of things the 4690K is much better. The IPC is almost double of the 8350, thus making the extra cores useless.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Now, before all the fan boys start jumping down my throat... let me have a second to explain myself.

I am going to school for drafting and am looking to build a computer to run programs such as AutoCAD, Inventor, and Revit.

I have been liking the i5; but the more research that I do, the more I am liking the FX-8350.

I have heard that the FX is better for rendering due to the greater amount of cores it contains.

Also, based on cpubenchmarks.com, it shows that the FX is a better rated CPU.

Can anybody give me more information in the difference between these two CPUs and which one I should use for my application?

This is a tough one. The i5 has stronger cores but the FX has weaker cores but has more of them. I would say it depends on if you ever upgrade the CPU if so get the i5 if not the FX is probably going to do the job.

Well, for gaming i would go for the i5 everyday even since i got a 8350 myself. For rendering though, its a though question. I dont know how the i5 performes but i know a bit about the 8350. (Done some 3D rendering and normal rendering inside AE and Sony Vegas) The 8350 performs pretty good inside cinema 4d and also the other rendering. And i think it might be a bit better beacuse it has more cores, but i dont think its a huge difference so the i5 is probably a better choice anyways.

[EDIT] 

If you want abilty to upgrade cpu the i5 is better since that one can be replaced by an i7 without motherboard change. The 8350 is pretty much the top teir cpu on the AM3+ socket.

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

Well, for gaming i would go for the i6 everyday even since i got a 8350 myself. For rendering though, its a though question. I dont know how the i5 performes but i know a bit about the 8350. (Done some 3D rendering and normal rendering inside AE and Sony Vegas) The 8350 performs pretty good inside cinema 4d and also the other rendering. And i think it might be a bit better beacuse it has more cores, but i dont think its a huge difference so the i5 is probably a better choice anyways.

WHERE CAN I GET ONE AND WHAT SOCKET!?!?!?! Lol, just messing mate, might want to edit that for future readers ;)

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

How about the Xeon E3-1231 V3 ? Runs cooler, has multi threading, but costs ~£60 more.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

WHERE CAN I GET ONE AND WHAT SOCKET!?!?!?! Lol, just messing mate, might want to edit that for future readers ;)

lol thanks mate il edit it :)

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

So, pretty much what I am getting out of this is:

If I am planning on upgrading in the future, get the i5

Thanks for all the useful information

The 8350 is 60-80% the price of the i5 4690k, At tasks like that thye are pretty evenly matched. If you have the money for the i5 without cutting down the rest of the PC it is worth it for the single core performance.

The E3-1226 V3 is pretty much a i7 without the integrated graphics, It would be even better than the 4690k for rendering and such at a similar price.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

I've heard that the benchmark from cpubenchmarks.com isn't very accurate. I use the ones from anandtech.com, as they use many different benchmarking methods.

According to these benchmarks, it seems that the FX-8350 is a bit better on multi-threaded workloads, while the 4690k blows it away in single threaded workloads.

Have you considered something like Xeon E3-1231 V3? It has 4 cores but is hyperthreaded and fits in a regular LGA 1150 socket, same as the i5, but you'd probably want a H97 motherboard as they can't really be overclocked. Unfortunately, the Xeon isn't benchmarked on anandtech, so I can't prove it in that way.

When both are overclocked, they are about on par in perfectly multithreaded things like rendering. In programs that make use of only a few cores (most programs don't perfectly utilize all cores, not 100% sure on the ones you listed) the 4690k will destroy the 8350.

If it's one or the other, the 4690k or even a Xeon E3 1231 v3 (essentially a locked i7 with no iGPU) would be my choice.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Like others are saying the Xeon E3 1231 V3 is probably your best bet, i7 performance for a fraction of the cost and if your not going to use it for gaming at all just get a cheap GPU for the display.

I hate to go off topic... but what are the advantages with the Xeon E3 1231 V3... Never have I really heard of it

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 is basically an i7 as in its a quad core with 4 threads which is what you want for rendering the only reason its cheaper than an i7 is because it doesn't have an iGPU and you can't overclock it which could turn out to be an advantage since H97 motherboards tend to be cheaper than Z97.