Project CARS devs address AMD performance issues, AMD drivers to blame entirely, PhysX runs on CPU only, no GPU involvement whatsoever.

qtgv73k.jpg

Another day, another case of laying blame on the other side, though in the case of Project CARS, I don't blame them for blaming AMD for how poorly optimized the game is on AMD cards. 

Not when, according to sources, they made ever effort to get AMD involved and keep them in the loop during the development period, of course AMD didn't do anything (allegedly) whereas Nvidia was happy to help along.

I get the whole "AMD v Nvidia" crap on game optimizations, but the facts are that developers can use what they want and the two big boys can offer help, something it seems is more popular at Nvidia. Why wouldn't you take advantage of a GPU makers help in optimizing your game and subsequently leading to more refined driver support? 

@zMeul did testing to see if PhysX actually harmed performance and if it was really running on the GPU; it WAS NOT. 

http://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/36aoir/project_cars_is_physx_really_running_on_gpu_a/

8Ng4wBx.png
NXAdhPz.png

vnbjPsb.png

http://www.hardocp.com/news/2015/05/08/project_cars_devs_address_amd_performance_issues#.VU0DtpNcoec

http://steamcommunity.com/app/234630/discussions/0/613957600528900678/

Well, guess I'll be waiting to get that.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

It's a legit Nvidia sponsored game...

that sucks.

Also, the AI isn't all too great either....

Nvidia sponsorship is no excuse for AMD to not work with the developers on drivers, in my mind. Thats just a terrible cop out excuse. And yes, Nvidia and the developers are the devils for doing this, but its not like AMD can't match what Nvidia offers in terms of sending over engineers and giving access to all their "closed" APIs. Nvidia will happily let you do whatever you want under Gameworks and the APIs you get, its not like you're shackled into something. 

Is this really news? Isn't AMD known for shoddy drivers?

Not saying that Nvidia drivers are like, way better or anything, I'm nowhere NEAR qualified to make that kind of a statement. Just saying what I've always heard as a "stereotype" about AMD's drivers.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

nvidia hasnt paid them a penny?

arent their nvidia advertising  logos all over the tracks ?

out of curiousity what kind of performance issues, theres a reason i quit buying low end cards and just bought the 290x lol

my game works perfectly maxed out

And Here I've been enjoying Project Cars using a R9 280. Honestly stuff like this, just causes flame wars.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

I would understand if AMD did not want to put to much effort into a title that depends on gameworks.
AMD could work all day long and Nvidia could then make some small changes to gameworks that "accidentally" remove all the effectiveness of AMDs optimization.

Maybe use a bit to much tessellation. Stuff like that.

Nvidia sponsorship is no excuse for AMD to not work with the developers on drivers, in my mind. Thats just a terrible cop out excuse. And yes, Nvidia and the developers are the devils for doing this, but its not like AMD can't match what Nvidia offers in terms of sending over engineers and giving access to all their "closed" APIs. Nvidia will happily let you do whatever you want under Gameworks and the APIs you get, its not like you're shackled into something. 

Nvidia is literally Hitler for helping game development.

Not saying that Nvidia drivers are like, way better or anything, I'm nowhere NEAR qualified to make that kind of a statement. Just saying what I've always heard as a "stereotype" about AMD's drivers.

This is about AMD not giving any attention to Project Cars for their driver optimizations, not an overall issue with their drivers.

Nvidia is literally Hitler for helping game development.

This is about AMD not giving any attention to Project Cars for their driver optimizations, not an overall issue with their drivers.

I'll have to take your word for it, as I know almost nothing about drivers.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I'll have to take your word for it, as I know almost nothing about drivers.

It's literally in the quotes from the developer in the OP. I don't know anything about drivers either, but it's apparent that AMD didn't give Project Cars any attention.

I think it's generally a good thing for devs to work with gpu manufacturers, to ensure a good gaming experience for everyone, and good drivers of course.

But it can never be AMD's responsibility to program or optimize any devs game, ever. I't not like AMD cannot afford a few licenses, if that's it. What exactly did the devs expect?

This is an NVidia title through and through. Maybe the devs did not receive any monetary funds, but maybe they did receive a lot of NVidia hardware instead (like the titan z they demoed the game on), and lots of NVidia programmers, to write parts of their game engine. Maybe even proprietary tech from NVidia, that would never work properly on any AMD card.

We already know that all devs are prohibited from sharing any gameworks tech with the AMD driver team (or AMD in general), so there is no way for AMD to optimize drivers for the proprietary gameworks.

This is nothing but a hit piece against AMD. And @Victorious Secret, you really are riding the fanboy train. You're not even trying to be objective with statements like

(...) of course AMD didn't do anything (allegedly) whereas Nvidia was happy to help along.

This is yet another frightening example of the damage, a proprietary piece of middleware, like GameWorks, is splitting the market, causing vendor lockin, and ultimately, weakening proper competition. It reminds me of the horrible way Batman Origins ran, when the devs of that gamewokrs title refused to receive the help AMD offered them: http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/173511-nvidias-gameworks-program-usurps-power-from-developers-end-users-and-amd/2

This reeks of propaganda, nothing else.

Exactly, that is the problem with black boxed, proprietary middleware, like Gameworks. There is no legal way for AMD to optimize for such a title, meaning that people end up blaming the drivers. AMD drivers are perfectly good. They don't fry cards, like NVidia's have done in the past. They are better at multi monitor everything, but generally both vendors have pros and cons with each of their drivers.

nvidia hasnt paid them a penny?

arent their nvidia advertising  logos all over the tracks ?

out of curiousity what kind of performance issues, theres a reason i quit buying low end cards and just bought the 290x lol

my game works perfectly maxed out

There are many ways of paying a company, without exchanging a single cent. Like free hardware, free advertising/marketing, free technology, like proprietary gameworks effects, free programmers, given to program and optimize your game, etc. This is an NVidia sponsor title.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I have a AMD card and do not have any issues. I have been playing the game for 2 years too.

I have not had issues with FPS in this game for over a year now.

I get 50 FPS at 3440 x 1440

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

I'm gonna say it, and I'm going to get mashed for doing it... I'm sick and tired of games not being optimized equally. I'm also sick and tired of AMD still having the GPU's with more raw performance in each price bracket(Up to $400), but the slackers are letting us down with drivers. I love the switch I made due to the 970's gimped nature(Still a wicked fast GPU), but now I'm getting pissed off that all the games I want to play are not optimized for AMD.

Don't flame me too bad, I'm just a gamer, with gaming hardware... And I'm fed up with the fact that it's power not being exploited.

Now I feel what PS3 gamers were complaining about way back in the day... how could the games look so much better on the 360 when the PS3 was just flat out more powerful? Well, money talks. And Microsoft had plenty to give out for 360 optimization.

This is my first AMD GPU, and I love it... but if the trend keeps going like this, I may have no choice but to succumb, and go back to my former lover... Nvidia.

*Rant End*

CPU: Intel i5-4690k                                                               RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengance Pro DDR3-2400                                                                     Case: NZXT S340

Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo                                                  Storage: Intel 730 SSD                                                                                                            PSU: EVGA 850G2

Mobo: Asus Z97-A 3.1                                                          GPU: 980ti G1                                                                                                                          OS: Windows 10 Pro

What card company doesnt make subpar drivers

One may be better than the other, but that really doesn't say much when they are both full of shit

/rant

Long time Linus fan with too many different forums to keep track of LTT's. 

well think i figured out what they were talking about maybe.......

finished the 1st kart racing season was bout to start 2nd and the game crashed

save file is freaking gone......got a wierd error break and something... wtf....

i knew i shoulda updated the game

For me, i've had more Nvidia driver issues than with ATi/AMD drivers. A lot of people tend to refer back to when ATi stopped updating drivers for a while, and users ended up making their own. But they've come a long way since AMD took over. 

Also, ATi cards tend to have more frequent driver updates.

And on a final note, the developers making Project Cars don't even look that good imo.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Is it any wonder that Nvidia has the lions share of the market, part of the marketing and product strategy is making sure their cards work as expected with the games people buy them to play. They go the extra mile to make sure their drivers work as best they can with dx, with AAA titles, hell they even make sure their drivers work on linux.  If AMD don't want to work with game devs or anyone  to ensure their products perform as well you can hardly blame Nvidia. 

When AMD put effort into working with games devs you get equally quality products like star citizen and mantle in BF4.  Just because AMD don't want to work on cars doesn't automatically make it an Nvidia conspiracy. :rolleyes:

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

It's a legit Nvidia sponsored game...

that sucks.

Also, the AI isn't all too great either....

Wait, this is an Nvidia sponsored game? And here I was getting my pitch fork ready against AMD. You mean people are wondering why AMD didn't work with them when they will have Nvidia plastered all over their game? Why the fuck would AMD (or Nvidia) send their engineers out to help a company with their game only to have the name of the competitor plastered all over the game? Are people naive enough to dream of a Utopia where rival companies come together and sing Kumbaya and optimize their games? Sounds like a pointless thread to me. The issues will eventually be fixed with driver updates. Nothing to see here.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Wait, this is an Nvidia sponsored game? And here I was getting my pitch fork ready against AMD. You mean people are wondering why AMD didn't work with them when they will have Nvidia plastered all over their game? Why the fuck would AMD (or Nvidia) send their engineers out to help a company with their game only to have the name of the competitor plastered all over the game? Are people naive enough to dream of a Utopia where rival companies come together and sing Kumbaya and optimize their games? Sounds like a pointless thread to me. The issues will eventually be fixed with driver updates. Nothing to see here.

I'm going to go with this...

Is it any wonder that Nvidia has the lions share of the market, part of the marketing and product strategy is making sure their cards work as expected with the games people buy them to play. They go the extra mile to make sure their drivers work as best they can with dx, with AAA titles, hell they even make sure their drivers work on linux. If AMD don't want to work with game devs or anyone to ensure their products perform as well you can hardly blame Nvidia.

When AMD put effort into working with games devs you get equally quality products like star citizen and mantle in BF4. Just because AMD don't want to work on cars doesn't automatically make it an Nvidia conspiracy. :rolleyes:

Well said.

There's enough salt in this thread to replenish the Dead Sea. It's kinda amusing.

I'm going to go with this...

It's irrelevant whether he thinks it's an excuse or not because it's literally been happening with EVERY PC game. What exactly is shocking about this story? Can you provide evidence of Nvidia working with devs on an AMD sponsored game?

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

If find this funny given how overhyped this game was, and now people are making comments like "meh".

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory