EVGA releases DDR3/DDR4 memory

mvitkun

Not the best looking.. but hopefully it'll come with EVGA quality.  Still will likely give Klevv all my money when they're a bit cheaper.  That design *_*

My main problem with the current crop of LED rem is pretty much ugly looking. I'd like to see some company make a ram module with a nice looking heatsink and nice looking lighting.

Also, this one just looks exactly the same as every other black angular ram module out there.

Why is nobody logical looking at this post?

Can somebody at least mention the fact that this ram is a great value?

NO it doesn't have an aluminium finish.

NO it doesn't have LEDs.

But it's $10 less than the next lowest priced memory by Silicone Power.

Yes it looks worse than Klevv, and Klevv costs a butt-ton more.

[$49.99 for a 2400mhz 8GB] kit vs [$56.99 for a 1600mhz kit]

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

And their power supplies are Seasonic rebrands......and yet tons of people buy those for the same reason they'll buy this memory, it's a good value.

Not everything has to be innovative.

Why is everyone trashing EVGA on this, they're selling a 2400mhz 8GB memory kit for a base price of $49.99 which is $10 less than anybody else.

You are correct that EVGA PSUs are Seasonic rebrands, BUT they look completely different and actually look nicer. This looks like they took some G.Skill RAM and just slapped their sticker on top. Could also argue against the price, since micro center isn't everywhere, so therefore that price difference isn't available to everyone. An exclusive market and a copy of another brand doesn't seem like a smart move any way you look at it. The other companies even at least have lifetime warranty for the memory, which may not be used but at least sounds better.

But isn't it also one the RAM module itself ?

Yeah but at least that orange font looks better than the one on the banner.

And besides it's a sticker, just do what everyone did with their GSkill Sniper ram and take it off.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

Yeah but at least that orange font looks better than the one on the banner.

And besides it's a sticker, just do what everyone did with their GSkill Sniper ram and take it off.

Yeah I was just bitching around :P But from EVGA I would've expected brushed aluminium heatsinks or something sick like that

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

You are correct that EVGA PSUs are Seasonic rebrands, BUT they look completely different and actually look nicer. This looks like they took some G.Skill RAM and just slapped their sticker on top. Could also argue against the price, since micro center isn't everywhere, so therefore that price difference isn't available to everyone. An exclusive market and a copy of another brand doesn't seem like a smart move any way you look at it. The other companies even at least have lifetime warranty for the memory, which may not be used but at least sounds better.

Gskill, Corsair, GeIL, Kingston, Mushkin, Patriot, and PNY all make ram that looks far too similar to one another so that's a moot point.

I will however agree that making it Microcenter exclusive is a pretty bad idea.

Linus Sebastian said:

Yeah I was just bitching around :P But from EVGA I would've expected brushed aluminium heatsinks or something sick like that

You expected brushed aluminium heatsinks on an 8GB kit of 2400mhz ram that costs $49.99?

I mean if this were like 2012 or 2013 then maybe, but ram prices skyrocketed after that and are just starting to come down. 

Linus Sebastian said:

You expected brushed aluminium heatsinks on an 8GB kit of 2400mhz ram that costs $49.99?

I mean if this were like 2012 or 2013 then maybe, but ram prices skyrocketed after that and are just starting to come down. 

I would've paid like 60 for it, the market is already way too saturated with memory so why not making something new ^^

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

I would've paid like 60 for it, the market is already way too saturated with memory so why not making something new ^^

Well then it probably wasn't made for you.

I don't know I see this as a great alternative to a random green pcb 1600mhz kit for somebody making a budget build, and I think it's positioned perfectly as far as price goes to be that.

It doesn't innovate, but it brings down the price of the black pcb aesthetic and the 2400mhz speed....I think that's enough to warrant its existence.

Linus Sebastian said:

I'm sure it wouldn't, but how about powering it off of the dimm slot instead of some cable that would have to be hidden?

I've flattened wires on a power cable for LEDs and soldered them to a couple of the teeth on a DIMM, I was able to run it under the side of the heatsink towards the edge and then underneath next to the slot.

Always trying to find reason.

I've flattened wires on a power cable for LEDs and soldered them to a couple of the teeth on a DIMM, I was able to run it under the side of the heatsink towards the edge and then underneath next to the slot.

But how do you know which teeth on the DIMM are okay for doing that? I'd be terrified about screwing something up.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Kinda reminds me of a not as aggressively edged ripjaw memory. :P

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

But how do you know which teeth on the DIMM are okay for doing that? I'd be terrified about screwing something up.

Pinout diagram. It technically worked but I wouldn't recommend it. I got some very interesting flashing on the LEDs and once my computer crashed. :D Might've been my fault.

HYS64T128021EDL-25FB2-pinout.jpg

Pinout diagram. It technically worked but I wouldn't recommend it. I got some very interesting flashing on the LEDs and once my computer crashed. :D

well I gotta give you props for effort.

You didn't cause any permanent damage though did you?

Linus Sebastian said:

well I gotta give you props for effort.

You didn't cause any permanent damage though did you?

Nah, the system ran for a few more years after that but it died in a thunderstorm. I'd do something similar right now, but more complex trying to make a flush plexi cap to put underneath the heatsink to diffuse the light but I don't want to go through the effort of removing the heatsink, fabricating a diffuser, wiring the leds, and gluing everything back together.

Honestly, if this sells in Canada at NCIX/Memory Express then I'll likely pick some up for my next build. Say what you will, but I've really been enjoying EVGA's expansion past video cards. Will buy more with my experiences so far.

Never say it's not broken. Everything is broken. Why? Because everything needs MOAR POWA!

Honestly, if this sells in Canada at NCIX/Memory Express then I'll likely pick some up for my next build. Say what you will, but I've really been enjoying EVGA's expansion past video cards. Will buy more with my experiences so far.

Well it's Microcenter exclusive for now, and it may remain that way.

I don't see them going international with the memory any time soon.

Linus Sebastian said:

Well it's Microcenter exclusive for now, and it may remain that way.

I don't see them going international with the memory any time soon.

Who knows, we'll just have to wait and see won't we?

Never say it's not broken. Everything is broken. Why? Because everything needs MOAR POWA!

Who knows, we'll just have to wait and see won't we?

If it's any amount successful EVGA will have a global or at least regional release of it. And no doubt people will buy it because it's EVGA.

Pinout diagram. It technically worked but I wouldn't recommend it. I got some very interesting flashing on the LEDs and once my computer crashed. :D Might've been my fault.

-snip

It would be neat to do that in a way where you could visualize the activity on the ram with the led's. I know the crucial ram does that, but I don't really like the look of those heatsinks.

If it's any amount successful EVGA will have a global or at least regional release of it. And no doubt people will buy it because it's EVGA.

Eventually sure, I just doubt that they'll release this memory to Newegg or other retailers/e-tailers particularly soon ( 1-2 months).

Linus Sebastian said:

Looks a lot like corsair vengeance LPX nad g-skill ripjaws if you ask me, so not very different at all from everything else. If it was more like the Avexir stuff then it'd be more interesting, but this is just meh.

Exactly what I saw. Hardly impressive.

It would be neat to do that in a way where you could visualize the activity on the ram with the led's. I know the crucial ram does that, but I don't really like the look of those heatsinks.

I'm not so sure it's such a good idea to sap power from ram to use on LEDs, might cause a few errors I think.

I'm not so sure it's such a good idea to sap power from ram to use on LEDs, might cause a few errors I think.

Probably. I've looked at the crucial ram that has that kind of LED function, not sure how it works. From the reviews I read, the ram has some DOA and quality control problems.

Probably. I've looked at the crucial ram that has that kind of LED function, not sure how it works. From the reviews I read, the ram has some DOA and quality control problems.

I haven't looked at any pin diagrams but I believe it has some module that uses non-essential pins to run it. I wouldn't be surprised if it has problems with the voltage regulator.