Does Overclocking A GPU Void The Warranty

Shaan5

I have a G1 GTX 970 and have recently Overclocked it without any issues(As far as I can tell)

And I'm wondering if I have possibly Voided my Warranty

I have not messed with Voltages

Just Power, Core and Memory

I've heard people say that it doesn't and people say that it does

Thanks

Case: Define R5 I GPU: G1 GTX 970 I CPU: i5 4690k I RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X I PSU:  EVGA 750B2 I Cooler: Noctua NH D15 

MB: ASUS Z97-A I SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB I HDD: WD Black 1TB

no

YES IT WILL!

You are taking a Product and modifying the way it functions in a possibly destructive manner, then YES OCing anything will void your Warranty

Because he had a hard drive.

YES IT WILL!

You are taking a Product and modifying the way it functions in a possibly destructive manner, then YES OCing anything will void your Warranty

how will they know? Its not the cd they give you a cd when you buy the gpu, that just enabling us. Evga is the only ones i know that covers it.

If you are modifying the bios, yes. If you are using a program like MSI Afterburner, no.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.3 GHz       GPU: MSI GTX 980                      Cooling: be quiet! Pure Rock                     OS: Windows 7            Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z

Motherboard: AsRock Z97 PRO4   PSU: Corsair 600W CX600M       Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate   SSD: Intel 120GB 520   Headset: HyperX Cloud II

RAM: 12GB Crucial Ballistix            Case: Corsair 750D                       Mouse: Logitech G502                         HDD: Seagate 1TB        Speakers: Audioengine A5+

YES IT WILL!

You only void it if you flash the bios or modify the card in any way.

The GPU is made to throttle itself if the temps are too high, and the default software prevents voltage rising above safety. So there is no destruction going on.

Also, the settings are saved locally, the only thing the manufacturer can tell is, if the firmware has been modified in any way (and you can still flash it back...).

YES IT WILL!

Well with my Zotac cards, I didn't have any problem doing a RMA. 

INTEL I5-4670K | ASUS Z87-A | CORSAIR 16GB Vengence | EVGA GTX 980 SuperClocked | SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | COOLER MASTER CM Storm Scout 2 | CORSAIR RM850

Nah, I oc'd my G1 970 when I had it and didn't notice the coil whine at first until I tried tuning my case fans down to near silent mode.

Returned it no problems.

Is there a definitive answer or No.

This is kinda confusing

Case: Define R5 I GPU: G1 GTX 970 I CPU: i5 4690k I RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X I PSU:  EVGA 750B2 I Cooler: Noctua NH D15 

So is it No?

If i just revert the card to stock, would I be good?

Anyone?

Overclocking the card's gpu and memory shouldn't be controlled by the gpu bios, it's done in software like Gigabyte OC Guru. Once you take it out of your PC it will behave like any other G1.

In this case you will be fine.

If you flashed the Gpu bios with some random one that's not officially listed by Gigabyte then you might have issues - if it wrecks your card you might not be able to flash it back to a factory bios.

In this case you might get rekt.

Overclocking the card's gpu and memory shouldn't be controlled by the gpu bios, it's done in software like Gigabyte OC Guru. Once you take it out of your PC it will behave like any other G1.

In this case you will be fine.

If you flashed the Gpu bios with some random one that's not officially listed by Gigabyte then you might have issues - if it wrecks your card you might not be able to flash it back to a factory bios.

In this case you might get rekt.

So as long as I have the Stock Bios, I'm Good?

I used MSI Afterburner.

What about Voltage, If i Changed that, Would I Void the Warranty?

Thanks For The Help.

So as long as I have the Stock Bios, I'm Good?

I used MSI Afterburner.

What about Voltage, If i Changed that, Would I Void the Warranty?

Thanks For The Help.

You would be fine. When using the stock bios, you cannot push the card over what manufacturers would really allow you to do. So yes, you can chagne the voltage and that owuld not void your warranty. Plus, it is pretty much necessary to up the voltage a bit when overclocking

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

You would be fine. When using the stock bios, you cannot push the card over what manufacturers would really allow you to do. So yes, you can chagne the voltage and that owuld not void your warranty. Plus, it is pretty much necessary to up the voltage a bit when overclocking

Ok thank you so much, Was really worried that I voided my 3 Year Warranty, What about a CPU

Ok thank you so much, Was really worried that I voided my 3 Year Warranty, What about a CPU

For the cpu its a bit different but as long its kept at a reasonable voltage, you should be fine returning it if need be. If you want to be sure, it is possible to purchase a pretty unexpensive plan on the Intel side to garantee you a replacement cpu in case in dies to due overclocking but you would really have to push voltage pretty high to be stuck in this situation. The plan is called Performance Tuning Performance Plan. However, just as I said earlier, its not necessary as long as the voltage are kept ata reasonable level

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

Short answer, no. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

• 2 years later...
On 7.5.2015 at 0:48 AM, Shaan5 said:

Anyone?

there is no way for them to know that you oc'd the card. Cards throttle themselves

5 minutes ago, Tiwaz said:

there is no way for them to know that you oc'd the card. Cards throttle themselves

Just 2 years late for the party bud

Main:  1650 v2   @ 4,6GHz   -   X79 Deluxe                -   GTX 1080 @ 2000MHz   -   24GB DDR3 @ 2400MHz / CL10

Side:   i7-4790K @ 4,5GHz   -   Maximus 7 Hero        -   GTX 1070 @ 2114MHz    -  16GB DDR3 @ 2666MHz / CL12

HWBOT

On 2015-05-06 at 5:50 PM, Pugs501 said:

YES IT WILL!

On 2015-05-06 at 5:56 PM, Pugs501 said:

I have EVGA

But for the MOST TIME IT WILL VOID THE WARRENTY!

why are you posting in caps if you have no freaking idea what you're talking about?!

NO, overclocking WILL NOT void the manufacturer warranty (any and all of them) in any way shape or form, so long as you don't flash another BIOS on the card they can't even know if you overclocked it with afterburner or precision X or whatever.

EDIT:

Just 2 years late for the party bud

ohhh gosh....

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

On 5/6/2015 at 5:50 PM, Pugs501 said:

YES IT WILL!

It's an odd contradiction that it's a "possibly destructive" modification, and yet in many cases these manufacturers are designing overclocking features into their cards and advertising their expanded overclocking capabilities and yet still offering warranty coverage.

I think you may be correct that many warranties include language that would seem to void the warranty if overclocked. But in practice I think very few RMAs get rejected on that basis unless the user installed a custom BIOS to push the voltage ridiculously high or something. I doubt most of them are even looking for signs of overclocking done within the bounds of the stock BIOS.