Making a NAS with freenas but only with 4gb of ram?

nikolaizombie1

I'm was going to make a nas out of a HP P7-1235, but i checked the system requirements on freenas website and they said it should have 8gb of ram.

But here's the problem one of the sticks of ram from that system died recently so i only have 4gb now, would it still work with only 8gb or do i need to find an alternative with lower system requirements.

What filesystem are you going to use?

huh... what?

sorry im new to the whole nas thing? 

huh... what?

sorry im new to the whole nas thing? 

A filesystem would be the structure in which your data gets saved to the hard drive. An example would be 'NTFS'.

How do you plan to arrange the data?

Freenas uses an ZFS file system. The minimum amount I would recommend is 8gb.  It just runs better with 8gb or more.  You can try running it will less but you probably will take a performance hit, and won't get as fast transfer speeds as you would like.

This is a great site to get info on freenas and the hardware requirments.

http://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_intro.html#hardware-recommendations 

I'm was going to make a nas out of a HP P7-1235, but i checked the system requirements on freenas website and they said it should have 8gb of ram.

But here's the problem one of the sticks of ram from that system died recently so i only have 4gb now, would it still work with only 8gb or do i need to find an alternative with lower system requirements.

Hey there,

FreeNAS requires at least 8GB of memory for normal performance. Using ZFS filesystem generally requires 1GB of memory for every TB of storage space for the most optimized performance. 
Also make sure you are using NAS/RAID class drives for the safest and problem-free usage. These drives have additional features that reduce the chances of data corruption and drive drop outs from RAID environments.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey there,

FreeNAS requires at least 8GB of memory for normal performance. Using ZFS filesystem generally requires 1GB of memory for every TB of storage space for the most optimized performance. 
Also make sure you are using NAS/RAID class drives for the safest and problem-free usage. These drives have additional features that reduce the chances of data corruption and drive drop outs from RAID environments.

Captain_WD.

is there any alternatives i can use that use the zfs filesystem?

also im planning for this to be a plex steaming box, can't i jest use linux server instead?

the hdd im going to be using is a old 3.5 inch hitachi desktop hdd that i got from the same computer im making the nas out of now, but it's not a nas class drive will it still work ok tho?