Steam now allows game developers to ban users from their games

zappian

Am I the only one who sees this as a good thing?

I am a developper, and I would never ban someone for badmouthing my game. If they don't like it, they don't have to play it.

If my game has multiplayer, and someone is cheating, they will be warned and then banned. You know the liscence aggrements that no one reads when you start a game? It clearly states that if you cheat, you will get banned, and without a refund.

I'm sorry that I have to play devil's advocate here, but this is a good thing for indie developpers. Do you think that we're idiots?

Finally a sensible comment. Devs need the right tools in place to maintain the standards of their online community. And valve should not be making decisions for them regarding those communities. If a dev wants somebody banned then absolutely valve should implement it. Valve should not be 2nd guessing them. You guys seem to have a persecution complex and think that every dev is out to screw you over. Keep in mind that these are game specific bans and not bans on your entire steam account.

While you don't want to ban bad reviews, millions of others do

Sorry this has nothing to do with reviews. If they start banning players who give bad reviews it doesn't help them because the review is already up.

I am not sure why is it Valve's business to police the developers ... I really don't get it. I mean the moment an indie dev does this, it will blow in his face like we see it happen with all the drama around TB, Jim Stirling and so on. Its the developer's responsibility to manage their own audience not steam. Its like blaming Amazon because product X's manufacturer is a crappy company. I mean if it was a Valve title ( Unicorn 3 for example) fine, bash them up. But STEAM is a store ... not a publisher nor a developer. 

And user banning is happening on all major titles when it comes to cheating ... heck Blizzard bans CD keys by the millions when it comes to cheating. Its for the developers and publishers to manage their customers and not for the Valve.

How can the developer ban a user for thinking the game sucks? I don't get that? Like, Valve is going to authorize a ban for that? What evidence is there that this will be case? I'm really not clear on that.

But anyways, I think Valve allowing amateur game devs on Steam with Greenlight was a huge mistake. Most of them are just extremely unprofessional which has resulted in piss poor games and a worse customer experience for the people buying the games. These unprofessional devs are putting out unfinished games that often never get finished (Early Access anyone?) and apparently are also being asshats to their customers.

I know AAA devs are far from innocent with releasing unfinished games but at least with a AAA studio you know they'll behave in a professional manner and if they mess up they will handle it like a professional. (DICE with BF4 for example)

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Game devs did that to jim sterling.

Not a ban but DMCA strikes and banning from the forums .

https://youtu.be/S6s0Wpn1zmU

This is gonna be a mess.

Valve must be really bored or stupid to put in such stupid features. First the paid mods now this. I wouldn't be surprised if it's gona be like with the paid mods where they will take this feature down too.

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

I doubt this will be abused, and in cases where it is the backlash will be significant.  Just avoid the shithead indie devs who don't know how to hire a PR firm.

I know of several games where the devs wanted to ban blatant cheaters but simply had no means of doing so because they needed Valve to do it through Steamworks.  It was very frustrating as a player, and it was frustrating for the devs who had no power to stop people from doing so since all the cheats all went through Valve's steamworks bullshit. (Leaderboard cheating, drophacking etc all worked by fucking with Steamworks and had nothing to do with the game.)

Valve in general seems terrible to work with as a game developer, because they don't actually seem to help you deal with problems.  There is a skill rating bug for a game that still exists to this day where the reported rating on the steam page doesn't match the in game rating that was never fixed because Valve would have to get off their asses.  I know for a fact the devs were in talks with valve to get it fixed, but 4 years later it never happened.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

What the fuck has steam been smoking recently?

Smoking GabeNs steaming, long pile of shit. 

Steam already had VAC bans which were a nice "fuck you, you'll never play multiplayer again". Wasn't that good enough? 

Banning people from single player now? Really? What in the fuck is wrong with developers who asked for this and Valve who agreed to it? You're really gonna ban people from what they paid to the point that they can't use it offline/single player?

Do you want increased piracy for no reason? Cause this is how you get increased piracy. 

Valve needs a reality check. 

I can't wait for Windows 10 to show up and teach Valve a thing or two on how to make a storefront that isn't riddled with DRM and a storefront that doesn't shove in pointless bloatware. 

Steam already had VAC bans which were a nice "fuck you, you'll never play multiplayer again". Wasn't that good enough? 

Banning people from single player now? Really? What in the fuck is wrong with developers who asked for this and Valve who agreed to it? You're really gonna ban people from what they paid to the point that they can't use it offline/single player?

Do you want increased piracy for no reason? Cause this is how you get increased piracy. 

I can't wait for Windows 10 to show up and teach Valve a thing or two on how to make a storefront that isn't riddled with DRM and a storefront that doesn't shove in pointless bloatware. 

Yeah thats a crucial part of the problem i mentioned on the OT.

If you are a cheater on MP you cant even launch the bloody game to play SP.

That is very silly to say the least.

Except that's not what it does.  It works exactly like VAC: except it's a developer ban from Steamworks.  It only affects the portion of the game that uses steamworks, like the online play and leaderboards.

it does not remove the game from you library or any of that nonsense that Techraptor is reporting.

Valve's official announcement even fucking explicitly says 

"In order to ensure the best possible online multiplayer experience..."

Source: I'm in the know.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

If you are a cheater on MP you cant even launch the bloody game to play SP.

Awww shucks... Those poor cheaters are not being looked after.

Am I the only one who thinks this is good news? You cant have your bread buttered on both sides. Either people cheat on indie/small games without any implications, or people get banned and you may have a few bad eggs... But I cant think of why game devs would 'abuse' this system after all they want their customers to buy/play the game they made.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

I think the more players being banned is for good. I can't stand hackers. It makes you feel bad at the game till you see this:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=431587171

My PC/ CPU: Intel i5-4690k with ColerMaster Hyper Evo 212 / Motherboard: Asus Z97-AR GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti / OS: Windows8.1 / RAM: G.Skill Ares Series 2x4 1600Mhz / Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM Optical Drive: ASUS 24B1ST / Network: TP-Link WN881ND /////////////////////////// If I fail to respond to your questions, please message me! Thank you

Its for multilayer only for smaller developers, and if you get banned for cheating you deserve it. Cheating is the biggest problem when it comes to enjoying MP.

Can't get behind this.

In theory this is good, but you know there will be publishers/developers who will abuse this.

You see publishers/developers already abusing DMCA claims on Youtube.

"Disruptive players" is too vague, for me to get behind this the publishers/developers should only be allowed to use this for combating cheaters and they should have to provide undeniable proof of cheating.

"Disruptive players" is too vague, for me to get behind this the publishers/developers should only be allowed to use this for combating cheaters and they should have to provide undeniable proof of cheating.

Then you will be be playing alongside loads of cheaters while the indie game developer prepares a case against x player and compiles all there evidence and sends it to Valve; where they discuss it and investigate further and take more time to decide what to do... Not gonna work; the devs need to be empowered to decide who is cheating. Valve cannot and should not be manually policiing the communities of 3rd party games, not to mention the massive size of the steam community makes it impossible for one company to do so.

If some devs abuse this then they will suffer the bad rep. Also remember this is seperate from posting on forums and writing reviews etc, this is the right to play the game. So people who are worried about censorship or who are comparing this to DCMA takedowns on youtube are barking at the wrong tree.

Anything that can be exploited will be exploited. This is a very bad thing as being banned would disallow you to launch the game to play single player for the game that you bought. Not being able to play multiplayer is fine if you're caught cheating, but banning the entire game from you after you bought it is ridiculous. Hell, it's implied that the developer will just be forwarding steam account numbers to Valve and how will the developer be getting this account information? Random posts on the internet from people who may be trolling just because they don't like someone? Not only is this stupid in that it gives way too much power to the developer, but it's stupid in that the person being banned can just make a new Steam account and play the game again. I've seen CS:GO cheaters claim to buy 40 copies of the game during sales.

So when a dev brings out a new game they can ban everyone forcing them onto the new game. Great idea Valve. Please stop fing around.

This is what happens when you have a lot of people that openly say "If the game isn't on Steam, I won't buy it". Steam has such a dominant position in the game distribution market that they can do whatever the fuck they want and people will swallow it because there is no alternative (other than buying the game "properly" that is).

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

*facepalm* way to go steam now this will be abused and devs will make a list of users to perma-ban , stupid , just stupid. i liked it the way it was before. 

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

Not defending anyone who would cheat online here but this would stop someone who cheated from even playing the singleplayer component of the game. I think cheaters deserve all the bans ever but That is going too far.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

Dont agree with a game developer ? Think their game is bad? You may get banned from using the game .

1082.gif

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

This is what happens when you have a lot of people that openly say "If the game isn't on Steam, I won't buy it". Steam has such a dominant position in the game distribution market that they can do whatever the fuck they want and people will swallow it because there is no alternative (other than buying the game "properly" that is).

Not if we complain enough to the point where it costs Valve too much money. Like we did with the paid mods thing. I thin it's the only time when we all voted with out wallets and something actually got done ever. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Then you will be be playing alongside loads of cheaters while the indie game developer prepares a case against x player and compiles all there evidence and sends it to Valve; where they discuss it and investigate further and take more time to decide what to do

Considering that even potential cheaters are almost always actual customers I really don't see a problem with that.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Better give the damn game a good review on Steam or get smack by the developers Ban Hammer.

\[T]/ Praise the Sun!
Super Budget Gaming Build: Intel Pentium G1610, Gigabye GA-H61M-DS2 rev. 3, Kingston Value RAM 4GB CL9 1333MHz, Fractal Design Core 1000, Corsair VS 450, WD 1TB, Powercolor Radeon HD 7750 1GB/GDDR5, (Optional: Asus DRW-24B1ST).
 (Total: $340 USD)

There needs to be some sort of incentive for devs to not wham the ban hammer down left and right without good reason. Make it so the user gets a full refund of the game, and the dev has to pay for half of the refund and Valve covers the other half or something. Or maybe make it valve gives the user a full refund and the dev doesn't get money from the next purchase of the game to cover the cost of the refund.

I don't really care how I get it, but if they're going to brick my game I better get a full fucking refund. Even games you're VAC banned from still let you play single player for fucks sake. And VAC, PunkBuster, BattleEye, EAC, FairFight, etc etc are all completely impartial systems that will never ban a user for anything but hard proof. Considering how pretty much anyone can get their farting ass shit games on steam this is definitely going to be abused, but how often and how extreme remains to be seen.