Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Project - Dark lightning

I just did a huge makeover on my computer, but I am not content AT ALL! I want MOAR! MOAR WATER COOLING!

previously I had an Antec ????, I don't even remember the name..soooooo when GTA V was released and I seem to have stuttering issues and GPU usage issues, so I must fix this! Be warned, this log with be mainly with USED PARTS I buy from others, from craigslist, overclock.net, hardforum.com, ect. My main goal is to get the biggest bang for my money! If it works perfectly fine, then it works! If its ugly with chipped paint, I'll paint over it! So lets get this started!

Before I started doing the upgrade this is my previous setup

• AMD FX-8350@4.8Ghz (CPU IS LAPPED)
  • Cooled with H100i Stock fans
  • Gigabyte 990FX-UD3 (HATED this board due to its common overheating mosfets)
  • Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 8x2Gb
  • XFX 270X
  • 2 X Sandisk Ultra Plus SSD 120Gb @ RAID 0
  • 2 X WD 1TB
  • 1 X PNY 240Gb SSD
  • Corsair CX750M

Now, I read through many things that my 8350 is Perfectly "okay" for gaming, but once I started getting issues with GTA V, I got my "upgrade bug".

• So now I purchased a i7-2600k with a MSI Z77A-GD55 Board for about 200$ - to me this seems to be an good enough deal for me.
  • Next after that I purchase another 270X for a price at 100$, since I already had one, might as well get another if its this cheap.
  • Now I had in mind that I most likely start going to the green side of the cards and switch to Nvidia later this year.
  • SOOOOOO, I bought myself a Corsair HX1050 for 100$ on Ebay, I looked everywhere and nobody else had a cheaper price, so I went straight for it!
  • After all these purchased, my 270s were getting pretty hot due to lack of air flow, and the case wouldn't allow as much in general, so I went ahead and bought a Corsair 750D to accomodate my build
Now after all these, I was "kinda" content with my system. I run at 1080p so I wouldn't need any stronger till I get a new monitor.

So now heres the new updated specs of the Build

• Intel i7-2600k @4.5Ghz....already lapped lol
  • H100i Stock fans
  • MSI Z77A-GD55
  • Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 8x2Gb
  • 2 X XFX 270X
  • 2 X Sandisk Ultra Plus SSD 120Gb @ RAID 0
  • 2 X WD 1TB
  • 1 X PNY 240Gb SSD
  • Corsair HX1050
IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0144.jpg

If you have noticed, I AM A CORSAIR FANBOY, I ADMIT IT!

I did also painted my Ram heatsinks and the shrouds for the 270s, I like them, so I have nothing to argue about.

So now my next plan is astethics and custom watercooling loop, Main color themes would be white blue and black, so the plans are

• Manually Sleeving PSU - White and Blue - Ordered 175ft white and 175ft blue (hope this is enough)
  • Custom Budget loop
  • Bought a Swiftech H220-X off a guy, waiting to ship
  • Bought a XSPC RX360 Res
  • Ordered a lot of fans off a guy
  • Purchased a Reservoir (Phyobia Balancer 150)
  • 4 g1/4 Barb fittings

So far thats it!.....For now.....All the parts should be in by the end of next week...hopefully, the sleeving is whats gonna take the longest time here, so we'll see how long, but for now, this is all I have, open to any suggestions! I'm a amature at this so be nice please! xD

If your wondering about the "lot of fans" this is the list I bought I debating on buying more Corsair AF120 or Noctuas for my RX360

(copied and pasted from the list he showed me)

• Xigmatek CCA-EMFCB-U01 4 in 3 HDD Cage Extra Hard Drive Bay
• (1) 120mm BitFenix Spectre Pro LED White
• (1) 200mm BitFenix Spectre Pro LED White
• (1) 140mm Antec 2-Speed Fan
• (1) 140mm Corsair A1425L125-2; fan is the 140mm fan included with the Corsair 540
• (2) 120mm Nocutua NF-P12; frame has been painted black and blades white
• (2) 120mm Xigmatek DF1202512SEMN
• (2) 120mm Corsair AF120
• (2) 120mm Silverstone R1212225BU w/Fan Controllers
• (3) 140mm Noiseblocker NB-BlackSilent PRO PK-3

A fellow Corsair fanboy? Yaaas.

I'm planning on putting a custom loop soon, but Im going with a new case + sleeving first. Would love to see your build when its finished, but builds like these are never finished. There is always more.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

A fellow Corsair fanboy? Yaaas.

I'm planning on putting a custom loop soon, but Im going with a new case + sleeving first. Would love to see your build when its finished, but builds like these are never finished. There is always more.

It's always ADDICTING! Addiction for more

What problems did you have with GTA V and your FX 8350? My Q6600 runs the game fine, might have been something I missed?

I've only used air cooling, my old signature was a lie ❤️

I been through many forums and threads, finding out that GTAV is a very horrible optimizations with FX processors, doesn't seem to like it, i get much stuttering and extreme frame drops, but since i switched, i seem to find a great improvement

I been through many forums and threads, finding out that GTAV is a very horrible optimizations with FX processors, doesn't seem to like it, i get much stuttering and extreme frame drops, but since i switched, i seem to find a great improvement

Interesting, I will have to try running it on my FX 6300 sometime, good to know I didn't use it for GTA V in the first place.

I've only used air cooling, my old signature was a lie ❤️

you can possibly try, or its just my processor that is starting to poop out after so much abuse i put through it lol

Probably on my next pay, I plan on purchasing a Koolance MRV-100 for my mosfets, since it seems that my "DrMos" is overheating according to the LEDs on the board. My overclock never seem to stay stable on the board since my DrMos is overheating.

Do you think the MRV-100 will fit?

672180f848b87c3117c22564824a1b5b.jpg0fd95a217bf960af6de24b70aa0846d0.jpg

Replaced the stock PSU fan with a Noiseblocker PK-3, it'll be an extra fan anyways, so.... Why not?

Works perfectly and soo much quite!

Got my sleeving in this morning!

b71c61877a9240908866322cf8ca8370.jpg

Started sleeving and it took me all day....be warned, this is my first time sleeving and tried the heatshrinkless method

eb8d2e9b194bcb566fa54f185556871f.jpg04964a72af337665bb0f482af781a48d.jpg

After all that I tried out my work and see if everything is in working order!

c8a8136f6bcb4783c9e138c4a837e884.jpg pre assembly. Doesn't look too bad in my opinion.

So I zip tied all the wires and leave them there for a few days to allow them to take its shape. Thursday is when I'll cut the zip ties and hopes it'll stay in its shape!

1db7102a6605fcda0949ebe908f8820f.jpg

Also beautiful build man!

Thanks, first time doing a build like this and I looks pretty good so far! Even on a tight budget!

5bc3415fd742e4bfc0f7f1a8134bf284.jpg

Gotten the radiator in! XSPC RX360, pretty dang thick! (That's what she said). Since the theme is blue and white, I chose to paint the radiator. So here are the results!

69f74e66fde0e0773a9a890ea5d6f8e6.jpg01ab951f55175f627d45dbaabe442c13.jpg

And here's with it installed with Corsair fans...BARELY FITS!!

807a47ee12ef49838a0593d60509d3fa.jpg

I heard that xfx is bad

The 270s isn't bad so far, it works perfectly fine for me. Plan on getting a 970 in the future. Not soon-soon, but when I get enough to buy one

The fans liked perfectly fine but I couldn't get over the boring look for the fans, so I had to paint them. Sorry I didn't take any photos, but they were easy to disassemble. Just push the fans out, and hold the brackets to avoid cracking.

Here are the end results installed.

0f522ae43fcd4ebb6b92f5c455924758.jpg

My H220-X came in yesterday!

I immediately opened it up and checked the contents, everything is there, all i needed was the pump and waterblock.

I'm such a little kid when it comes to things in the mail.

2KHhKKc.jpg

fLRWwHh.jpg

X00lksp.jpg?1

Now here is is the disassembled

RcummvN.jpg?1

After dissassembled, like a little kid, i rushed and got more excited as it gets closer to completetion!

6leRn9x.jpg?1

Installed the Waterblock and routed the tubing.

jV6Sjlu.jpg

Styu9HP.jpg

installed a Emergency Drain Port through the back, I used the XSPC Fillport, Drilled a 3/4 hole in the back of the case then installed it. Easy as that!

ozGMVTX.jpg

Afterwards, I filled the loop....SHOOK THE HELL OUT OF IT to get the air bubbles out lol xD

I let it sit for half the day afterwards, then plugged everything in!

I just wish i had a better camera or lighting equipment to take better quality photos.

aogweXx.jpg

Just a small slight issue is the Swiftech PWM Fan controller, I only have 3 pin fans so it runs at full load no matter what. Bought some fan resistors adapters, but still too much noise in my opinion. So I'm planning on buying a 5.25" fan controller with manual controls.

This is the finished product! Ill be able to take better photos when i get the chance, to borrow my friends camera. !

Just like you said...."there is always more"....I couldn't stand keeping it like this...I just ordered 20 Bitspower compression fittings and a EVGA 780 Hydro Copper.

The 270s isn't bad so far, it works perfectly fine for me. Plan on getting a 970 in the future. Not soon-soon, but when I get enough to buy one

i just recently got a Strix 970 and wow what a card, it will kill them 270x cards, however are they 2gb or 4gb editions? as GTA5 is memory hungry and recommended now to have a min of 3gb on a graphics card, 4 is ideal or more. i think its possible the GPU memory and system memory & speed and you FX was ok, but now you have the Intel it will be fast.

got to love Asus components