R9 280x - Which brand would you buy?

Hey guys,

In a few days I'll be purchasing myself a new graphics card; R9 280x. Can you guys give me your opinion on which brand of R9 280x is most reliable, best performance, cooling, etc....

Thanks in advance!

John.

Pretty sure Sapphire's and Gigabyte's cards are good.

MSI is decent too.

Not sure about Asus and I'm pretty sure XFX is alright.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Pretty sure Sapphire's and Gigabyte's cards are good.

MSI is decent too.

Not sure about Asus and I'm pretty sure XFX is alright.

I read in few forums when I was going to buy it that some these cards had artifact and flicker problems(long time back). Any idea what the cause was(driver, hardware etc)?

I would buy Nvidia :Dsorry, had to

But as @Minibois said, Sapphire or Gigabyte

Yeah I would too, but apparently an R9 280x is on par with a GTX 960 and 970 supposedly 

I read in few forums when I was going to buy it that some these cards had artifact and flicker problems(long time back). Any idea what the cause was(driver, hardware etc)?

Sometimes GPU's just artefacts. It happens. 

Sometimes it's because  of an OC, but you really can't say one GPU artefacts more than the other.

I have not heard about this problem with a lot of 280X cards

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Yeah I would too, but apparently an R9 280x is on par with a GTX 960 and 970 supposedly 

280X is on par and sometimes beats the GTX 960 and the GTX 970 is better than the 280X.

The GTX 970 is about on level with a 290X (they trade blows) 

Hey guys,

In a few days I'll be purchasing myself a new graphics card; R9 280x. Can you guys give me your opinion on which brand of R9 280x is most reliable, best performance, cooling, etc....

Thanks in advance!

John.

Sapphire :)

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

Avoid the Rev 1.0 batch of 280x from Gigabyte. They have been known to give problems. I don't think the rev 1 cards are in production anymore. 

Here are the reviews and noise comparison for most of the aftermarket 280x. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-280x-third-party-round-up,3655.html

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Happened on my XFX 280X, all it needs is a BIOS update which you can send a support ticket to the manufacturer for or look in the techpowerup VBIOS database and see if your card has a newer driver.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

I'm on the club 3d royalqueen one and its been great so far, the only 280x that comes with a backplate :D  

1. sapphire 

2.gigabyte

3.MSI

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

As an owner of the sapphire r9 280x toxic i recommend you take the gigabyte version not that the sapphire version has something bad but is bit louder than every other version.The msi has some great coolers too.If you dont get bothered by the extra noise get the sapphire whatever version you find.

sapphire is the go to brand. I have an asus and it has worked beautifully though (though there were reports of artifacting, but i havent seen any in 2 years)

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

Sapphire and MSI are usually the better Radeon cards to buy from what I've heard.

Current System Setup | Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D | CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K @4.0GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 8GB (2x4GB) | Graphics Card: MSI Radeon R9 290X | SSD: Samsung EVO 840 250GB | HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200rpm | PSU: Corsair HX750W 80+ Gold | Display: Dell UltraSharp 24" U2414H | Headset: Tritton Kunai | Mouse: EtekCity Scroll X1 | Keyboard: Microsoft SideWinder X4 RED LED

Sapphire does really good on their cooling for the cards. If you are concerned about the heat produced by the cards. The only con is their cards are really bulky and take up a fair amount of space. XFX I have heard that they are not the best with cooling the cards.

Overkill Chill:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3450 CPU with Hyper 212evo | RAM:  2 x 4 GB DDR3 MoBo: ASRock H61M-DGS R2.0 | PSU: Rosewill PHOTON 750W | GPU: SAPPHIRE DUAL-X R9 280 3GB | Case: Antec One Gaming | Storage: Kingston HyperX 120gb, Seagate 2 TB | OS: Windows 10 | Displays:  Asus VS228H-P, Hp 2009m

Ok guys, thanks so much with your advice!!! :)  :)

It looks like i'll be buying a Sapphire R9 280x Vapor-x in the coming few days.

Thanks again for the help!

John.

Sapphire :)

Agreed.

I5 3570K, MSI Z77A G45, 8GB 2133MHz Gskill Ripjaws, MSI TwinFrozr GTX 780, Samsung 840 Evo SSD, WD Green 1TB HDD, OCZ 750 Watt PSU, Zalman Z11+ 

Just stay away from XFX they are garbage....Worked as a technician last 3 months, seen loads of them fail.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----