Live Callers on The WAN Show

LinusTech

Alright.

We're doing live callers. I've wanted to do it for a while, and at this point we've committed to Razer as a sponsor of The WAN Show that we're going to give it a go for at least a couple months to see if the platform can handle it. It's both a testing ground for Comms as well as a way of promoting a software that both Slick and I like quite a lot.

However, there are ways that we can work on making it more streamlined and tailoring it to what the audience wants to see and hear.

1. I think we can all agree having industry personalities as live callers is bueno right? Guys like Paul from NeweggTV or Logan from Tek Syndicate?

2. Q&A was a bit of a fiasco the first week we did it. We got a lot of very simple questions that were probably more appropriate for a thread here on the forum.

3. Getting opinion from callers was a little bit tough this week because of the long delays to get new callers on the line, and the fact that microphones often weren't balanced with us (very quiet) or other technical issues.

4. ?? - you tell us - ??

I'd like to hear your other options for live interaction. 

Go!

I think team speak would be better.

1. You can move people between the live room waiting room interview rooms and approved callers waiting room.

2. Better ui.

3. A lot more people use it.

4. Once you leave the server you don't get noteifacations.

I feel that you dont give callers enought time to talk. I feel like your just rushing. Maybe if you made each person feel more special .Rather then just jumping from one to another people would appreciate what your doing more. You need to slow yourself down, not everyone works at your speed. Make each caller feel ike there really apart of what your doing. Give more people/callers more time on the phone with you. Maybe even As there real name if they want to offer that. You need to consider more then just it being your comapany and think of it more as a family.With out people your wouldnt have much of a comapany. This is my opinion. Thanks

He's given many of them too long to speak (in my opinion), particularly when he waits for them to respond.

You also have to consider the fact that the longer they wait, sort through these technical issues, etc., we're missing out on lots of meaningful conversation. Look at the most recent livestream, even Linus was surprised at how many topics they got through.

I like how the last WAN Show was formatted with a guest caller. If they have a "random" caller from the forums, what they should do is have a contest

where people write ahead of time why they think they would make a good guest on the show. They should write about some topics they are interested

in and explain them in detail. Linus and Slick would pick the winner and that winner would talk on the show about the topics they wrote about. So basically

the caller would be screened ahead of time to make sure they can talk in depth about an interesting topic.

Is this the thread where we can suggest guests for future episodes? :unsure:

If so, I would really love to have Tom Logan / TTL from OC3D on!

He obviously knows a ton about hardware and seems like someone you can easily get a conversation going with, so I think he will bring a lot to the table.

Of course the discussion topics shouldn't be as focused on US politic and generally NA-centric as it was the case with Logan from TekSyndicate, but more about the PC industry etc.

Another plus is that in the past he was generally willing to speak his mind about stuff he didn't like and some of the workings of the business (more than many others at least), so with controversial stuff we're hopefully not just gonna get some political answers.

I don't know if he would even be willing to do it, but if I remember correctly when he was once asked if there was someone who he would like to do a cooperation with he said "probably Linus". This is of course a different thing, but I think he could be convinced. ;)

If that's not possible for whatever reason, two other suggestions:

Dimitry from Hardware Canucks and - of course - TastyPC!

Is this the thread where we can suggest guests for future episodes? :unsure:

If so, I would really love to have Tom Logan / TTL from OC3D on!

He obviously knows a ton about hardware and seems like someone you can easily get a conversation going with, so I think he will bring a lot to the table.

Of course the discussion topics shouldn't be as focused on US politic and generally NA-centric as it was the case with Logan from TekSyndicate, but more about the PC industry etc.

Another plus is that in the past he was generally willing to speak his mind about stuff he didn't like and some of the workings of the business (more than many others at least), so with controversial stuff we're hopefully not just gonna get some political answers.

I don't know if he would even be willing to do it, but if I remember correctly when he was once asked if there was someone who he would like to do a cooperation with he said "probably Linus". This is of course a different thing, but I think he could be convinced. ;)

If that's not possible for whatever reason, two other suggestions:

Dimitry from Hardware Canucks and - of course - TastyPC!

Dimitry - yes! a very natural public speaker

TastyPC - meh, she just feels like she's talking so unnaturally every time I watch her

but Tom Logan? ugh...I had to unsubscribe from his channel. He just rambles on and on with every single video/review. I don't mind going in depth, but I feel his videos are literally just rambles and completely disorganized

"now uh...the card is in...we're going to...uh, I'm going to run the benchmarks in this system - oh look at that! look at the lights/design. doesn't that look great? - so yeah I'm going to run the benchmarks - you can see it open here - run them for a few hours and come back and see the results. So yeah..."

why? why can't you just cut to the results and quickly mention the setting/setup or leave it as text? why waste time rambling about how it's going to be done?

The key point to having ANYONE on the show is to have someone strong at public speaking and keeping conversations going. Live callers were not - which is what slowed the show to a crawl (on top of the calling setup). Any good show has to have people that bring a conversation - not just famous figureheads (like Craig Ferguson celebrity interviews versus someone boring like David Letterman)

you should see if ( Tom Petersen from nvidia  ) could do a call in or  guest appearance on the wan show 

CPU 5820K @ 4.5Ghz 1.295V,Motherboard Asus X99-S, RAM 16Gb TeamGroup Elite GPU Msi Gtx 780, Case Fractal Design Define R5 , Storage Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 , Samsung 840evo 250Gb, Wd Green 1TB, PSU EVGA 850w G2 ,Cooling Fully Custom Water Cooling Loop Sound Stealseries Wireless H

Dimitry - yes! a very natural public speaker

TastyPC - meh, she just feels like she's talking so unnaturally every time I watch her

but Tom Logan? ugh...I had to unsubscribe from his channel. He just rambles on and on with every single video/review. I don't mind going in depth, but I feel his videos are literally just rambles and completely disorganized

"now uh...the card is in...we're going to...uh, I'm going to run the benchmarks in this system - oh look at that! look at the lights/design. doesn't that look great? - so yeah I'm going to run the benchmarks - you can see it open here - run them for a few hours and come back and see the results. So yeah..."

why? why can't you just cut to the results and quickly mention the setting/setup or leave it as text? why waste time rambling about how it's going to be done?

The key point to having ANYONE on the show is to have someone strong at public speaking and keeping conversations going. Live callers were not - which is what slowed the show to a crawl (on top of the calling setup). Any good show has to have people that bring a conversation - not just famous figureheads (like Craig Ferguson celebrity interviews versus someone boring like David Letterman)

I wasn't 100% serious about TastyPC. I kinda like her, but I think she probably wouldn't be the best for a discussion like Linus has in mind and doesn't (like you said) "bring a conversation". That suggestion was more for comedic value tbh.

About TTL: That's a matter of taste. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I really like his style of doing things. Maybe even more than Linus' (please don't ban me ;) ). And I'm gonna stand by what I said, I think he can add a lot to the conversation.

This isn't exactly a suggestion/feedback for live calling on the show but I didn't know where else to put it.

Could you guys start uploading the show as just an mp3 and provide a download link? It'd be nice just to have it as a reasonable sized audio file on my phone so I can listen to it while doing other things. I know I can export the audio from YouTube but this would be much more convenient.

Yep. TastyPC for Guest Appearance and not just through Comms.  :D

And I agree with @JayJay on TTL being able to add a lot to conversations/topics. 

"Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want" - Dan Stanford

Project Sandrock (Ended): http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/album/75-project-sandrock/

Project Murasame Liger (WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/album/400-project-murasame-liger/

TastyPC does a bunch of water cooling builds so she could talk about that. She could also compare notes with Linus about running a youtube channel. Both would be cool topics.

TastyPC does a bunch of water cooling builds so she could talk about that. She could also compare notes with Linus about running a youtube channel. Both would be cool topics.

That's a good point actually. If she's willing to give some inside information on how it was to get the channel started and the challenges on maintaining it etc., that could indeed be interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

Im finding the live caller section is a bit too long, Maybe limit to around 30 mins?

Intel i5 4670k @4.5 | 16GB Patiot Viper Xtreme | Corsair H100i | MSI Z87 GD65 | Crossfire x2 Asus 7950 Direct CUII

250GB OCZ SSD | LG Bluray RW Drive | 750Watt PSU | Corsair 450D | Corsair K50 | Corsair M40

With the last few few shows I really think you have found the correct format for live callers. Well informed special guest as one part of the show and random live callers for the after party. News topic discussion and a few twitter blitzes mixed in. It works well and keeps things interesting.

How long the special guest segment is should just depend on how much there is to talk about. JJ for example could fill several shows by himself while other guests might be good for 30 or so minutes.

You should consider getting some Indie Game devs in for the after party, itl be awesome help for the indie devs out there and they could give u Demo's of there game to play for the actual after party :3

Character artist in the Games industry.

Hey @LinusTech ! You should get Alex from MSI on the show!!

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

I'm not sure if anyone has suggested this, but I would like to see Rodney from 3dgameman.com as a guest. Even though he has lost a lot of his subscribers in the last couple of years, it would be nice to see him on the live stream. At least he is one of the earliest pc tech reviewers on Youtube.

Intel i7 4770k | Corsair H100i | Asus Maximus VI Extreme | 16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz | Asus GTX 780 SLI | Samsung 830 Pro 256GB + 6TB WD Red | Asus Xonar Phoebus | Corsair AX860i | Corsair 900D | Win 8 Pro 64-bit | 2 x Dell U2412M | Logitech G710+ | Logitech G602

• 2 weeks later...

My biggest problem with live random callers is that I started watching Linus’ videos because he hits a very good balance of being informative and entertaining. The same is true with the other industry personalities that have appeared on the show, they become prominent personalities because they have the same qualities of being informative and entertaining (with a bit of their own unique style thrown in). I am just not interested in what random people calling have to say especially if all they do is ask a question that could have been asked and answered on the forum’s or in a twitter blitz.  

Case: Corsair C70 GunMetalBlack, CPU: Intel 3570k, Mobo: Asus p8z77-v lx, CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 2, RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz lp, Video Card: Asus HD7950 DC2 Top V2, SSD: Samsung 840 pro, HDD: one Seagate 2TB Barracuda, PSU: BeQuiet! Dark Power pro 10 650w, Monitor: Dell UltraSharp u2412m, Keyboard: CoolerMaster QuickFire tk (Brown Switches), Mouse: Steelseries Sensei raw, Sennheiser HD 558

I'm not sure if anyone has suggested this, but I would like to see Rodney from 3dgameman.com as a guest. Even though he has lost a lot of his subscribers in the last couple of years, it would be nice to see him on the live stream. At least he is one of the earliest pc tech reviewers on Youtube.

ugh please no thanks

Rodney just feels like a talking brochure every single video - doesn't help he adamantly advertises to visit his website/webpage before and after the video

ugh please no thanks

Rodney just feels like a talking brochure every single video - doesn't help he adamantly advertises to visit his website/webpage before and after the video

I think he ended up being like that, because he has lost so much of his audience in the last couple of years. He just tries to hang on and make more people aware of him. Of course in the long run this makes his videos annoying, because every video he tells people to visit his website.

Also some people on Youtube is down right rude to him. I remember the time when Rodney was pretty much the only Youtube reviewer and almost everybody loved his reviews. But when Logan from Tek Syndicate, Tom Logan from Time to Live Customs and Linus started to make name for themselves, people started to wander away from Rodneys channel. After that some people started hating him without any good reason.

I'm not saying that Rodney's reviews are exellent or that I am a fan of him, but considering that he has been so long in the business and still going, it would be nice to see him on the WAN show.

Intel i7 4770k | Corsair H100i | Asus Maximus VI Extreme | 16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz | Asus GTX 780 SLI | Samsung 830 Pro 256GB + 6TB WD Red | Asus Xonar Phoebus | Corsair AX860i | Corsair 900D | Win 8 Pro 64-bit | 2 x Dell U2412M | Logitech G710+ | Logitech G602

I'm feeling like wan show has lost part of its interestingness lately. There's too much speculation and "tech" stuff and only little of real talk about whats going on in tech world right now. Last show was pretty good since they talked about intel vs amd and how gpus and drivers have developed in past months. That was actually interesting.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv