Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Windows 7 Disk Space Problem

Go to solution Solved by gabrielcarvfer,

Not sure should I post there instead ? After using the SpaceSniffer application i can see where the data is being used.

Capture.JPG

Looks like some applications can be moved so i can free up space such as Heartstone, Nividia drivers.

First two things that I recommend:

Run the DriverStore Explorer (RAPR), that you can download in https://driverstoreexplorer.codeplex.com/, click enumerate button", select all your drivers and remove them with "Delete package". Currently unused drivers and their installers will be removed, freeing some space at System32 and SysWOW64 folders.

You can use WICleanup to free some space at Windows\Installer folder. Download the utility here:http://appnee.com/wicleanup/

The GUI of that program is terrible, prompting you for every single package, instead run "WiCleanupC -s" from the command line.

I guarantee you that doing those things will free at least 2GB of your Windows folder.

I am currently running Windows 7 64bit operating system. I have been using it for about 4 years now and it works not problem. Recently I have been seeing that the available disk space is getting smaller and smaller until i have only a couple hundred MB. I have run full CCleaner with almost every thing checked and I have deleted everything i can in the temp folder and this only increases the available size to maybe 1 GB and then its reduced again.  The OS is installed on 60 GB partition of a 500 GB seagate hard drive. I was planning to reinstall the OS but am not sure if i should or what i should do welp :(

I am currently running Windows 7 64bit operating system. I have been using it for about 4 years now and it works not problem. Recently I have been seeing that the available disk space is getting smaller and smaller until i have only a couple hundred MB. I have run full CCleaner with almost every thing checked and I have deleted everything i can in the temp folder and this only increases the available size to maybe 1 GB and then its reduced again.  The OS is installed on 60 GB partition of a 500 GB seagate hard drive. I was planning to reinstall the OS but am not sure if i should or what i should do welp :(

Have you tried disc defragmentation? It may also help to move documents, pictures, and similiar files to the cloud and delete them from your hard drive. Hotmail/outlook has Onedrive which can be downloaded and accessed from your desktop or from the email directly. It might also help to buy another 500 gig drive..they aren't very expensive.

junker build in the making

Have you ran a disc cleanup? 
Also you could try to download a program called SpaceSniffer that checks what's taking up space :)
http://www.uderzo.it/main_products/space_sniffer/index.html

Build: GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 780 CPU: Intel i5 4690 MoBo: AsRock Fatal1ty H97 Killer RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB PSU: Seasonic 550W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Obsidian 500R

Have you tried disc defragmentation? It may also help to move documents, pictures, and similiar files to the cloud and delete them from your hard drive. Hotmail/outlook has Onedrive which can be downloaded and accessed from your desktop or from the email directly. It might also help to buy another 500 gig drive..they aren't very expensive.

I didnt try a defragmentation as yet i can try it.

Also i dont store anything on that partition, programs are store on the rest of the 500 GB hard drive and i have a 1 TB hard drive to store everything games, pictures, documents etc.

I was just wondering if i should bother trying to make space or i should just reinstall OS. Also if i reinstall the OS wouldnt the space be fill up sooner or later?

Not sure should I post there instead ? After using the SpaceSniffer application i can see where the data is being used.

post-225166-0-75514900-1430233347_thumb.

Looks like some applications can be moved so i can free up space such as Heartstone, Nividia drivers.

Capture.JPG

First two things that I recommend:

Run the DriverStore Explorer (RAPR), that you can download in https://driverstoreexplorer.codeplex.com/, click enumerate button", select all your drivers and remove them with "Delete package". Currently unused drivers and their installers will be removed, freeing some space at System32 and SysWOW64 folders.

You can use WICleanup to free some space at Windows\Installer folder. Download the utility here:http://appnee.com/wicleanup/

The GUI of that program is terrible, prompting you for every single package, instead run "WiCleanupC -s" from the command line.

I guarantee you that doing those things will free at least 2GB of your Windows folder.

Ok so from doing everything that was said in this tread the drive went from a couple MB of space to 11 GB of free space :o :lol: B)
Thank you so much for the advice. I still think i can make some more free space. Am wondering now do my fellow computer enthusiast here, do these kind of things regualarly ?

I do those two things every once in a while, mainly after driver/Windows updates and after uninstalling a bunch of programs.

I discovered those things when I had a problem with Nividia drivers bug that prevented the update to finish and rolled back to the previous driver many times, and that filled half of my SSD. =]

I do those two things every once in a while, mainly after driver/Windows updates and after uninstalling a bunch of programs.

I discovered those things when I had a problem with Nividia drivers bug that prevented the update to finish and rolled back to the previous driver many times, and that filled half of my SSD. =]

Yes i been having that same problem thats why i started clearing it out.

But now am confused again because after i got that 10 GB of free space i turn of my pc and when i came back i have 2 GB of free space WT....... where did it go :(

Yes i been having that same problem thats why i started clearing it out.

But now am confused again because after i got that 10 GB of free space i turn of my pc and when i came back i have 2 GB of free space WT....... where did it go :(

Run those programs again, but that space should be free. Run Space sniffer again to check the difference between the run you posted and the new one .

Another thing that you should do is use disk cleaner with system files, to remove some unused stuff, restore points, system caches...

I ran the programs again and there is nothing to clean up. When i ran SpaceSniffer I found a file pagefile.sys thats 7.9 GB. Am guessing thats the problem. But there isnt a file location for it. Should i just delete it ?

post-225166-0-98287100-1430261859_thumb.

I ran the programs again and there is nothing to clean up. When i ran SpaceSniffer I found a file pagefile.sys thats 7.9 GB. Am guessing thats the problem. But there isnt a file location for it. Should i just delete it ?

attachicon.gifCapture1.JPG

~5GB reduction on Windows folder :D

Don't mess with pagefile, if you want to control its size, open Control Panel -> System -> Advanced settings -> Performance -> Advanced tab -> change button and set the size of pagefile that you want. You can set to start from 500MB and limit it up to 2~4GB.

You should check your AppData folder, what is using those 10GB? And clean Nvidia folders, you have almost 10 GB of drivers and installers.

Ok so i changed the pagefile, also disabled hibernate mode, some google chrome shockwave flash stuff and the Nvidia Temp folder and i have gained 26GB of free space this is almost the same amount i have after installing windows so i will stick with that. Hopefully it doesn't disappear again. Still checking through too see what other temp files i can delete stuff from  Thank you so much Gabriel for all your help :)

delete the old nvidia driver installers. when you run the exe it will extract to the program files directory. You have about 10+ old installers sitting there. also might want to look at Jumbo's %appdata% folder, it is quite large.