HTC One M7 charging issues

davidgr95

Hey,

My friend gave me his broken HTC One M7 and said "If you can fix it you can keep it".  He told me that he went to charge it one day and there was smoke coming from the microUSB port.  I've not been able to reproduce the smoke, but I'm wondering if you guys might be able to help.  It doesn't seem to charge and it won't power on. 

Any thoughts?  Need more info?  I know the cable works because I was just charging my tablet with it!

Also, I've never used the phone before but the power button seems to be constantly depressed  :(  Is it meant to be low profile or is that another issue?

The early M7's power buttons are flat, and the later model ones have a slight raise.

Best thing to do is if the connector is broken, is get a new charging assembly. a very time consuming process and would be quite hard but probably the only option you have if it is indeed beeeroken

Since posted, I've managed to get a red flashing LED and the "charging battery" on the screen, but can't turn it on... yet.  I tried a different cable and that seemed to work better than my other one.  Should I wait? Its been about 15 minutes like this.