Samsung Was The Clear Leader In SSD Shipments Last Year

Opcode

Source

Samsung is the clear leader in the SSD storage market according to new industry statistics published by IHS (via ZDNet). Last year 34 per cent of all SSDs sold were Samsung branded units. The South Korean electronics giant soundly beat second place Intel by generating twice the revenue from its SSD sales: it brought in $3.99 billion, compared to Intel's $1.99 billion SSD revenue.

60ffafd3-1172-43ec-819d-e893767e6a0a.jpg

The use of cutting edge technology in its products also helps with the popularity of the brand. At the end of 2014 Samsung brought out the first consumer 3D V-NAND SSD drives, which feature vertically stacked flash memory providing greater capacities without significant device size increase. At the beginning of this year it introduced M.2 form factor SSDs offering 30 per cent faster data transfers and 50 per cent better energy efficiency than the previous generation.

aac9b36d-3226-4c9b-80a6-f430b9eda247.png

IHS has made some predictions about what lies ahead for the SSD industry, as you can see in the chart above (2015e and 2016e). The SSD market is expected to grow moderately over the next couple of years from $11.58 billion last year to $14.13 billion in 2016. Meanwhile the market shares of the top five players, Samsung, Intel, Sandisk, Micron and Toshiba, are predicted to hardly flinch.

As long as they keep doing what they're doing I think Samsung will cement themselves as the predominance in the SSD market.

Not surprising, their SSD's are pretty darn good.

But you can see 2 other good SSD companies, behind them. 

Intel of course and Micron (Crucial) :D

I hope Samsung will keep doing what they do

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

As long as they're good :)

didn't even know seagate made ssds...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Slightly off-topic, but who supplies controllers and flash to Plextor, AData and Mushkin? I always assumed they made one or the other themselves, but it's impossible that their quite good SSDs wouldn't be on the list at all unless they were complete rebrands.

Edit: I guess AData might be owned by Micron

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I'm super happy with my Samsung SSDs (A 830-something in my laptop and a 850 Pro in my desktop)

Have 850 PRO and it's great :D

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Slightly off-topic, but who supplies controllers and flash to Plextor, AData and Mushkin? I always assumed they made one or the other themselves, but it's impossible that their quite good SSDs wouldn't be on the list at all unless they were complete rebrands.

Edit: I guess AData might be owned by Micron

Plextor uses Marvell controllers. Mushkin's been on the Sandforce train a lot, but I know their Reactor SSD has a Silicon Motion controller. Adata's running Marvell and Silicon Motion.

Planning on getting a 512 class 850 Evo when the price is good.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Their SSDs are good performers for less than what Intel asks.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Still waiting on ADATA's SX930 2tb ssd.  But--you can never go wrong with Samsung.  If it can reach a petabyte, it can dodge a ball.

Still waiting on ADATA's SX930 2tb ssd.  But--you can never go wrong with Samsung.  If it can reach a petabyte, it can dodge a ball.

You can (sort of) go wrong with a Samsung 840 or 840 Evo.

for a few months, anyway.

lol That only effected one model and they're still working on a solution. Not that I've even noticed any slow down on the one 250gb 840evo but that's probably because it only has windows OS on it and nothing else pc still boots to windows desktop in about 2 seconds or less much faster then I can actually touch the button and sit down lol

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

I love my Samsung SSD's. I bought a 250gb 850 evo a couple weeks ago to put in raid 0 config with my old 250gb 840. I got my OS and my most used programs/games on them and I couldn't be any happier.

Two of my four 840 EVO's had to be RMA'd. That's a headache in itself, but now you have to run the restore tool on them so they don't run slow in the future.

Worst SSD's ever..

BUILD LOGSSerious Black ] [ Project Lumos ] [ SrsB ]