GTX Titan to GTX 980/970. Is it a worth upgrade?

wylliexhan

Hi guys,

I am currently using a Colorful GTX Titan right now for almost a year. I am actually a heavy gamer, I play lot of heavy games and wanted to play games at ultra settings, most games I play are Battlefield 4, Far Cry 4, Shadow of Mordor, Assassin's Creed Unity, Call of Duty Advanced Warfare, etc. I am playing these games on a 1080p resolution. Now my question is, Is it a worth upgrade if I jump from GTX Titan to GTX 980/970? How much is the performance difference in terms of FPS gain? I am actually on a custom loop water cooling, so if I plan to upgrade a GPU then I also need to sell my card as well as the GPU Block. Any suggestions would be much helpful, I haven't seen any benchmark comparisons online or any other forum sites comparing GTX Titan to GTX 980/970. So do 'ya think? Should I wait for the AMD R9 300 series to be released?

These are my specs:

Intel Core i7-4770k @ 4.2Ghz 1.220V

Gigabyte Sniper G.1 M5 Motherboard

Corsair Dom Plats 2x4GB 1866Mhz

Colorful GTX Titan 6GB

Western Digital 1TB Blue

SanDisk Extreme 120GB

Corsair HX750 PSU

Corsair Obsidian 350D

Asus VX239H Monitor

EK Supremacy EVO

EK FC Titan Plexi

BlackIce Nemesis GTS240

EK 150 Reservoir

EK DCP 4.0 Pump

EK Compression Fittings 3/8 5/8

PrimoFlex Crystal Clear 3/8 5/8

Thanks,

Not worth it in my opinion. As your venerable Titan is very strong already. I would personally look to overclocking if you wanted more performance as the Titan can have a whole whack-tonne of performance gained for free due to it's extremely underpowered factory clock settings and the denial of AIB partners to ship the card overclocked at all.

With water the GK110 Titan is an absolute monster, you'd be looking to pay a lot of money for not much more performance. The 980 would be a slight bump, but not a large one. Also I'd take a Titan any day over a 970's neutered and locked GM204 chip.

HydrOS (Waterworks 3.0) Pictures: // One // Two // Three

i7 5820k @ 4.3GHz (1.165v) // Asus X99-A // 16GB-DDR4 Vengeance 2400 CAS13 // RAID 0 Intel 730 240GB // Nvidia Titan X (+200Core +500Memory) // Swiftech D5 // ASUS ROG SWIFT

No. You spent 1000$ on that card, do you really have to change it so soon?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Thank you for all your suggestion guys. I actually overclocked my GTX Titan to 1097Mhz and there is 5-8% performance increase. Maybe I should save my bucks for the next GPU release if performance gain is already a big jump. I can still play some modern hungry games at ultra settings for more than 60 FPS, so I think it's not a worth upgrade.

No absolutely not worth it.  A 980 is slightly faster than a 780Ti before overclocking.  (After overclocking it's maybe 10% faster)

The only single slot cards that would provide a significant upgrade are the TitanX, TitanZ or 295x2.  The hypothetical 390x may also be another option.

To be honest, you easily have another year or two of life left in that card.  I would atleast wait to see how the 390x stacks up against the TitanX.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

I think everyone forgets how awful AMD has been with driver releases the past 6 months....did I say releases? I meant release because there has been one, that's a ton of unoptimized games and no crossfire support. Pretty terrible if you ask me.  I sold my dual 290x cards in my main rig, the dual 280x's in the wifes rig, and a 290 from my in my other rig because there is simply no support for the hardware.  I am sure the 390x will be impossible to get at release and I am sure the drivers will see some updates to iron out kinks but I bet they still suck and have the BLACK SCREEN issues.