4790k @ 4ghz - is my temperature sensor broken?

hi there, my first post!

recently started building a new computer and bought a 4790k from scan with C0 stepping (not overclocked) and just wondering if my temperatures with a stock cooler is normal as ive heard so many people with high idling temps! 

or is my temp sensor broken haha! 

(no gfx card as of yet - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming hopefully and a Corsair H110i GT once the recall has been sorted!)

Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit / 4790k @ 4ghz / Gigabyte Z97x Gaming 7 / Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2400mhz / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / 1TB HDD / Hx750i / Corsair Graphite 780t 

post-223356-0-79592700-1429481968_thumb.

Windows 8.1 Pro -- 4790k @ 4Ghz -- Gigabyte Z97x Gaming 7 -- Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2400Mhz -- Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 -- Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD -- 1TB HDD -- Corsair HX750i -- Corsair Graphite 780T

Welcome to the Forum.

What are the ambient temps (temps in the room the computer's in)?

Sig under construction.

ambient temps are around 15 degrees celsius.... the temps do rise when i open various programs but then drop back down abit. 

it almost seems like the temp shown is just the CPU load! 

Windows 8.1 Pro -- 4790k @ 4Ghz -- Gigabyte Z97x Gaming 7 -- Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2400Mhz -- Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 -- Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD -- 1TB HDD -- Corsair HX750i -- Corsair Graphite 780T

Thats fine core temps can be below delta in you room  for a short time. Its the temp of the IHS you want to worry/look at.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

ambient temps are around 15 degrees celsius....

And you're somehow going lower than that? I have a feeling that there's something wrong here.

Sig under construction.

Thats fine core temps can be below delta in you room  for a short time. Its the temp of the IHS you want to worry/look at.

Okay then.

Sig under construction.

haha thanks for your replies! i

installed everything a few days ago and it seems to be holding those temps at idle so ill see how it goes! 

it could be something to do with the realtemp software maybe? because in the bios it is showing 30 degrees C

hmmmm ill reinstall it! 

it could be something to do with the realtemp software maybe? because in the bios it is showing 30 degrees C

hmmmm ill reinstall it! 

It is impossible for your CPUs temps to be below ambient.  Try a different program like HWiNFO.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

ok thanks will check that out :) 

yeh this looks more like it! thought it seemed abit low 

maybe ive got a bug in realtemp 

zuTWyk.jpg

With my old i3, temps below 30°C were not accurate and would jump 5-6°C for no apparent reason, above that it seemed fine, maybe the sensor's calibration is not very good at those temps.

yeh this looks more like it! thought it seemed abit low 

maybe ive got a bug in realtemp 

Yea, that looks much more realistic.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Yea, that looks much more realistic.

yeh so it seems! hopefully places will start having h110i GT's in stock soon so i can play about with some overclcoking! 

It looks like TJ Max was accidentally set to 90C in RealTemp when this should be set to 100C.  Push the RealTemp - Settings - Defaults button to reset this and then RealTemp will report the correct core temperatures.