Picking a monitor for CAD and gaming

big_dane

I pulled the trigger on a new PC, which I'll be using for CAD rendering and a bit of gaming. I'm looking to spend around 300$ +/- 50$ I'd like it to be at least 24", however bigger is also good. I looked around, I found a couple 27" ones I like, however I fear that 1080p would look a bit pixelated on a 27" screen. I'll probably use this monitor for around half a year until I'm able to afford a 4k 32inch one and then this one will be used only for browsing. Please give me some suggestions. 

Here are the monitors that I found : 

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-27-Inch-LED-lit-Monitor/dp/B00B332A9C

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FYKX0DA/ref=psdc_1292115011_t2_B00ITORMDC

I would get 3 cheap 1080p 22" cad doesn't really need a fancy monitor

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I don't really need 3 monitors, for now one should do. I want a higher quality one, because I have some negative experience with a couple of cheap monitors and they flat out sucked. I want it to be a bit bigger so I can also watch films on it until I get a TV.

depending on your'e rig i would get like a Benq 2420z like me (tn panel though) so you can game at 144hz but that's just my preference, also depends on the games you play.

Otherwise get the HP one since the Benq MHL one has terrible inputs for gaming.

What CAD?

I personally find two monitors to be extremely useful for CAD-- design/reference material on one, modeling program on the other. Probably doubled my efficiency doing that.

Your question though is one I struggled with for years, and have a good solution for: ~$300, 24" Dell monitor in 16:10 (1920x1200). 16:9 is noticeably claustrophobic in CAD for me, there just isn't enough screen height. 16:10 is great for CAD and I've yet to find a game that doesn't work with that resolution aspect ratio.

I'll be using AutoCAD, Solidworks and ProEngineer. My rig will consist of a i7-4790k, z97 motherboard and a single r9 290 GPU. 

I'll be using AutoCAD, Solidworks and ProEngineer. My rig will consist of a i7-4790k, z97 motherboard and a single r9 290 GPU. 

Yup, that's what I use on a much more ancient computer. Can't go wrong with the Dell or Asus monitors listed above.