Experiences with non-techies

"plz, my alienware is better than your custom rig because its more expensive."

(he had an i5 and a gtx 750 and i have an i5 and 280x)

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

guy:"what's that phone?"

me:"a nokia 5800"

guy:"LOL why don't you change that pos, my phone is so much better (takes out his iphone 4 with a condescending smile)"

me:"can you tell me one thing your 700$ phone does that my 40$ phone can't do?"

guy:"well... huh..."

me:"I thought so"

Now, of course there are some things the iphone can do that my trusty nokia can't, but 90% of those who bought one hardly even know. This guy was dissing my phone (which has unquestionable value anyway) when he had wasted 700 bucks on something he didn't even know how to use to its full potential.

"dude, why u got an AMD, nVidia is so much better" (this was when the gtx 780 was 420$ and my R9 290 350$ to put things into perspective)

Nokias are indestructible 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

"plz, my alienware is better than your custom rig because its more expensive."

(he had an i5 and a gtx 750 and i have an i5 and 280x)

Alienware is just a POS computer with lights 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Nokias are indestructible 

plus the battery lasts for a week ^^ I might just bother to get a zenfone 2 though, I feel the time has come and the ultimate f-you to overpriced flagship phones is worth my commitment :)

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Lol, why do you have such a big case? (I have the enthoo pro)

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

Well it is massive to a lot of people...

Most people I know have never seen a full tower and most people are used to little shitty Dell computers.

Well it is massive to a lot of people...

Most people I know have never seen a full tower and most people are used to little shitty Dell computers.

It was big to me at first as well.

But I dont understand why people ask why do I have that case? Why because of what am I gaining?

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

My brother had music playing in the background of his work. I saw how high res it was and was like "why don;t you lower it" he said "because higher res=higher sound quality. He is not dumb when it comes to computers but I just had to facepalm

My brother had music playing in the background of his work. I saw how high res it was and was like "why don;t you lower it" he said "because higher res=higher sound quality. He is not dumb when it comes to computers but I just had to facepalm

I literally LOL'd. I know so many people who do this.

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Proud owner of a BlackBerry Q10.

If you believe bitrate makes a difference then he isn't wrong. Higher resolution youtube videos use higher bitrate audio.

Resolution Mono Bitrate Stereo Bitrate 5.1 Bitrate Format 2160p (4k) 128 kbps 384 kbps 512 kbps AAC 1440p (2k) 128 kbps 384 kbps 512 kbps AAC 1080p 128 kbps 384 kbps 512 kbps AAC 720p 128 kbps 384 kbps 512 kbps AAC 480p 64 kbps 128 kbps 196 kbps AAC 360p 64 kbps 128 kbps 196 kbps AAC

http://www.h3xed.com/web-and-internet/youtube-audio-quality-bitrate-240p-360p-480p-720p-1080p

Edit: Formatting Weirdness; just read the article

System Specs - CPU: i7 4770K - RAM: 8GB(2x4GB) Vengeance Pro - Motherboard: Maximus VI Gene - Case: Modded PowerMac G5 - CPU Cooler: H100i - PSU: AX860i - SSD: Samsung 840 Series 120GB and Kingston V300 120GB - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - Graphics Card: 2x GTX 780 - Case Fans: SP120s and Spectre 140s - Headphones: HD700, Alpha Dog, SE215

Sony A7R w/ Zeiss 55mm F1.8

Lol, why do you have such a small case? (I have the Corsair 900D)

Because he had a hard drive.

A random guy in my school said that asking for what speed the RAM is (Hz) is like asking how fast a power supply is...

He then proceeded to tell me that he has an I7, overclocked on a custom water cooling loop, a GTX 780ti 16gb of ram on pci-e speed ?!?!? and all that to play warframe

My PC:

Spoiler

MOBO: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max, CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Cooler: BeQuiet! Dark Rock 3, GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050ti D5 4G, Ram: 16GB (2x8) HyperX Fury DDR4, Case: NZXT S340, Psu: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W , HDD's: WD 1TB Caviar Blue, WD 256GB Scorpio Blue, WD 2TB Caviar Blue  SSD: Sandisk SSD PLUS 240Gb

If you believe bitrate makes a difference then he isn't wrong. Higher resolution youtube videos use higher bitrate audio.

Resolution Mono Bitrate Stereo Bitrate 5.1 Bitrate Format 2160p (4k) 128 kbps 384 kbps 512 kbps AAC 1440p (2k) 128 kbps 384 kbps 512 kbps AAC 1080p 128 kbps 384 kbps 512 kbps AAC 720p 128 kbps 384 kbps 512 kbps AAC 480p 64 kbps 128 kbps 196 kbps AAC 360p 64 kbps 128 kbps 196 kbps AAC

http://www.h3xed.com/web-and-internet/youtube-audio-quality-bitrate-240p-360p-480p-720p-1080p

Edit: Formatting Weirdness; just read the article

He is not an audiophile so I am fairly sure he can't tell a difference

It's all in the placebo effect. I tell myself that flacs have better quality than regular mp3s and as a result my music folder is about 20GB when it could probably be around 10GB-15GB. Of course studies show that there is no noticeable difference between the two files but on paper flacs do seem to have better quality and therefore I will use them whenever possible. Same with watching a higher resolution video. I know that the bitrate increases so therefore on paper it will provide a better experience and since I don't have to worry about data caps I personally would play a video at higher resolution even if I was just listening to it. If I could afford better quality headphones I would absolutely consider myself a complete audiophile instead of just someone that is interested in having access to good audio even if my headphones can't do it justice.

It's all in the placebo effect. I tell myself that flacs have better quality than regular mp3s and as a result my music folder is about 20GB when it could probably be around 10GB-15GB. Of course studies show that there is no noticeable difference between the two files but on paper flacs do seem to have better quality and therefore I will use them whenever possible. Same with watching a higher resolution video. I know that the bitrate increases so therefore on paper it will provide a better experience and since I don't have to worry about data caps I personally would play a video at higher resolution even if I was just listening to it. If I could afford better quality headphones I would absolutely consider myself a complete audiophile instead of just someone that is interested in having access to good audio even if my headphones can't do it justice.

When I was watching Naruto on Crunchyroll and the quality dropped. The audio sounded like it was garbled and it was noticeably worse. Although we have Netflix now and there doesn't seem to be a sound quality drop when the video quality drops.

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

Well...

Good points but he does not know that this in fact is true. I just asked him why he thinks this and he said :I dont know it just does." So he is unaware of bitrates

It was big to me at first as well.

But I dont understand why people ask why do I have that case? Why because of what am I gaining?

*my dad* "damn, that H440 is MASSIVE." I want an SMA8 (or the future equivalent; something similar) with custom watercooling when I am bit older just to see his face xD. My mom said watercooling was stupid because it has a pump and pumps can fail. To be fair, it seems like shitty ones always break on people, with everything else working fine, but that's still kind of like saying don't use a graphics card, because that might break eventually, stick with integrated graphics.

There have been times when I'm in a different tab than the YouTube vid, the quality drops, and the sound quality is noticeably worse, and kind of garbled, especially if it's a song that I have listened to a lot at a far better quality (so I know what it should sound like). But then again, could be placebo.

Look at my shiny. The logo lights up

My friend kept bothering me to put up my minecraft server but I never play the game and the server uses too much of my laptops resources (really shitty laptop, can't wait to upgrade) so I decided to help him port forward one on his own (big mistake). But he is not very techy, I mean like not at all considering he was going to by a windows phone before I convinced him not to. So one day I -painfully- walked him through the process and it sadly didn't work. Of course I wasn't familiar with his routers setting because my router is very different so we tried again. But this time in the middle of trying to fix the port he says, "Oh wait, I have to update my flash". I shouted in the mic it was probably a virus since it popped up in his browser. After some more talking I figure out he has a ton of viruses and ad-ware. So I try to get him to install a free version of one but ads keep popping uple  and I was afraid he would get more viruses and malware, so I told him to run a scan using windows defender, I know its not the best but it's something. But of course it was disabled and whenever we tried to re-enable it it brought up file manager, so now im going to his house to try and fix his dang computer. 

Broke 14 Year old + No job + Love for Technology = Bad combo :(

My friend kept bothering me to put up my minecraft server but I never play the game and the server uses too much of my laptops resources (really shitty laptop, can't wait to upgrade) so I decided to help him port forward one on his own (big mistake). But he is not very techy, I mean like not at all considering he was going to by a windows phone before I convinced him not to. So one day I -painfully- walked him through the process and it sadly didn't work. Of course I wasn't familiar with his routers setting because my router is very different so we tried again. But this time in the middle of trying to fix the port he says, "Oh wait, I have to update my flash". I shouted in the mic it was probably a virus since it popped up in his browser. After some more talking I figure out he has a ton of viruses and ad-ware. So I try to get him to install a free version of one but ads keep popping uple  and I was afraid he would get more viruses and malware, so I told him to run a scan using windows defender, I know its not the best but it's something. But of course it was disabled and whenever we tried to re-enable it it brought up file manager, so now im going to his house to try and fix his dang computer. 

Best of luck... Bring a Linux Live USB and a DBAN disk just in case...

Someone in my 'computers class' had the nerve to yell "MY ALIENWARE WOULD RUN CIRCLES AROUND THIS INTERNETS" when the internet was down in our school.  The. Internet. Was. Down.  Not slow, down.  Also all the computers were using ethernet, his alienware probably wouldn't even reach the speeds we got in the computer lab.

My life is consumed by CS:GO, even though I'm not exceptionally good at it.

CPU: AMD A10-5800K | GPU: Gigabyte R9 270 2GB | RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz HyperX Blu | Storage: 120GB Samsung 850 EVO + 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Chassis: NZXT H230 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-HD3 | PSU: Corsair CX500 500W | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 EVO | OS: Windows 10
In order of priority: GTX 970 Strix, 2 good 1080p monitors, i5 4690k, MSI Z97 Gaming 5 LGA 1150, a job

My brother got my mom her FIRST pair of headphones, they are apple ear buds so I facepalmed so hard but at least it made her happy.

Main PC:

ASUS F1A55-M LX, AMD A6-3500, (2x2)gb Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600mhz, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm, 
 Corsair CX430M, Cooler Master Elite 343, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Netbook:

Lenovo Ideapad S10-2, Intel Atom N280, (1x1)gb DDR2 667mhz, WD Scorpio Blue 250gb 5400rpm, Zorin OS 9 Lite

Just came here to share a sad story. I'm studying information engineering, and not a single of my group mates are techies, hell, some of them can't even re-install windows on their own. And I though I'll meet people with similar interests here Q_Q

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

I was in computer class yesterday, and my teacher was trying to get people to have just a very basic understanding of HTML. He resized a few windows as he was walking the class through it and this one kid yells "there's no arrow on the bottom of my window! How do you resize it?!" My computer teacher has to deal with shit like that everyday. I feel sorry for him. There was a lot more endless bitching that happened that day, but I don't really want to try to remember that...

Look at my shiny. The logo lights up