Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

People get any kind of basic certification and think they're Wendell. Just witnessed one of these so called "people" arguing that Wifi is just as good as any wired connection in everything. Latency, stability, speed, etc. They have "Tech Professional" in their bio and use the 馃挴 emoji every time they make a point. He was 100% serious too,

Welp, gonna rip out all the cat5e I ran earlier this year and switch to Wifi. All the time I wasted!

Current Rig

i7 2600k @ 4.7ghz 1.4v - EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 @ 1500mhz - 16GB Hyper x Fury 1866 - Asus p8z77-v lk (1$) - 250GB SSD - 2x1TB HDD storage - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

FX 8320 Rig

FX 8320 @ 4.5ghz - EVGA GTX 770 SC 2GB - 16GB RAM - 250GB SSD - CM 212 EVO - Asus M5A97 R2.0 - EVGA 500w Bronze - CM Elite 430 Black

Xeon Rig

Xeon e3 1240 @3.3ghz - EVGA GTX 670 - 16GB RAM - 250GB SSD - CM Hyper T2 - Seasonic 500w Bronze- Rosewill Micro ATX

Nahelem Rig

i7 860 @ 3.7ghz - 8GB DDR3 - GTX 670 - 250GB SSD

And of course, my q6600 rig

q6600 @ 3.4ghz 1.45v - Zalman copper cooler - 8GB DDR2 - GTX 560ti - 250GB SSD

Server 1: FX 6100 @ 3.8ghz - 12GB DDR3

Server 2 - q6700 @ 3.2ghz - 8GB DDR3

PFSense router: Core 2 Duo @3.16ghz - 4GB DDR3 - 64GB SSD - 16 port tplink gigabit switch

Openmediavault: 4TB - 4GB DDR2 - q6600

The 5$ Laptop (Asus r510c) (+60$ worth of upgrades)

Core i5 i5-3337U 1.8ghz (2.5ghz) - 240gb SSD - 320gb WD Black - 8GB DDR3 - Intel HD Graphics 4000

HTPC - Wolf In Sheep's Clothing (Crappy HP OEM SFF case and PSU from 2009)

AMD A8 6800k @4.2ghz - GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 - 8GB DDR3 - 250GB SP SSD - Some Asus FM2+ motherboard

Bedroom HTPC - The 939 Monster

AMD Athlon 64 x2 @ 2.8ghz - HD 3850 256mb - 4GB DDR400 - 80GB WD Blue IDE - SOCKET 939 BITCHES

5 minutes ago, 2Buck said:

People get any kind of basic certification and think they're Wendell. Just witnessed one of these so called "people" arguing that Wifi is just as good as any wired connection in everything. Latency, stability, speed, etc. They have "Tech Professional" in their bio and use the 馃挴 emoji every time they make a point. He was 100% serious too,

Welp, gonna rip out all the cat5e I ran earlier this year and switch to Wifi. All the time I wasted!

Yikes.

2 hours ago, Results45 said:

Screenshot_20201112_111242_com.chrome_beta.thumb.jpg.6947d4ceeea5fff5923407dc640d1589.jpg

Average Viewer: It's a piece of alien time-travel tech!

Me: Um......isn't that an off-the-shelf CPU cooler?

Saw the exact same thing and was like NAAWWWWW and grabbed almost the same thing from the room over like LOOOK I HAVE ALIEN TIME BOMBS TOO! GF was not impressed.

2 hours ago, Results45 said:

It's a piece of alien time-travel tech!

5 minutes ago, Bitter said:

LOOOK I HAVE ALIEN TIME BOMBS TOO

rent it for 1000鈧 per hour to a film production

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Hi

• 2 weeks later...

I hate you, eBay people.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Desktop-PowerMac-G4-CPU-ONLY/323299969758?hash=item4b462e0ade:g:QFAAAOSw7m9bIUJC

Looking at Power Macs for fun.

Find "Power Mac G4 CPU ONLY"

Turns out they mean the whole tower.

Surely, if you have a PowerPC Mac, you aren't that dumb...聽

Cool tech tip inside:

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

elephants

On 11/12/2020 at 11:29 AM, Results45 said:

Screenshot_20201112_111242_com.chrome_beta.thumb.jpg.6947d4ceeea5fff5923407dc640d1589.jpg

maybe marvel was running out of budget and prop department grabbed a cpu cooler

but hey thats a pretty good idea for a prop alot of props are made with random things

Cameras main canon xti Secondary Panasonic GX85 spare Samsung ST68 and nikion s4000

main HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 14GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5聽2400 - lenovo聽CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - 160GB HDD - MSI GT 710 - dual DVD roms聽

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽聽

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽

storage server - AMD X2 250 - ASUS m4a785-m - 4GB ram - 500GB HDD - 320GB HDD - 80GB HDD聽 聽 聽 聽 聽聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽

myanimelist

#Muricaparrotgang聽

#animepfpgang聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽

"There鈥檚 a fine line between perseverance and failure to accept reality'- Tim leatherman

They should have glued a dead AMD (PGA, not LGA) CPU to the bottom and made someone fall into it, hear a "crunch" and go, "oh crap, did I break it?"

Cool tech tip inside:

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

elephants

I said I didn't have any stories from my family.

I was lying.

Everyone else in my house is decently tech literate, and at least knows how to move things to and from a flash drive.

Not so with my brother.

He wanted to play some music, so I told him to download the music files and put them on an empty flash drive I gave him. Note that he is using a Chromebook.

The following dialogue may cause cringe (B is younger brother, M is me):

B: "What do you mean?"
M: "The music files. Download the music files."
B: "What do you mean by the music files?"
M: <gives up and does it for him>
B: "Now what?"
M: <tosses him 1GB flash drive> "Put those files on here."
B: <proceeds to try and jam flash drive into an HDMI port>

M: "Stop! You'll break it!" <grabs flash drive and puts it in correct port>

M: <sighs inwardly> "Put the music files on the flash drive."

B: "Ok."

M: <goes to use bathroom>

B: <during this, he comes up>聽"Can you help?"

M: Wait until I'm done.

B: <waits> "Ok, now what?"
M: <sighs quietly but still audible> "Take those files you just downloaded and put them on that. It's called DD."

B: "How?"
M: "Open Files, go to Recent, take the .mp3 files, and put them on DD."

B: "Ok." <proceeds to open Chrome, type 'Recent', then be confused"
M: <gives up> "Like this." <does it in 20 seconds>

M: Take the flash drive and plug it into the sound bar (we have a sound bar with a USB port that you can play .wav and .mp3 music from). Then set it to the USB source; there's a chart on the side of the Wii."

B: "The Rii?"
M: "The WII. (granted, I have braces)" <repeat x5>

B: "Oh, the Wii."
M: "Yes, that's what I said."

B: <gets the flash drive in the port, but doesn't understand how to set it to the USB source>

M: "I'm done. Go ask Dad."

B: <goes downstairs. I hear this.> "Dad, how do you set the sound bar to be a USB?"

Cool tech tip inside:

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

elephants

12 hours ago, ragnarok0273 said:

I said I didn't have any stories from my family.

I was lying.

Everyone else in my house is decently tech literate, and at least knows how to move things to and from a flash drive.

Not so with my brother.

He wanted to play some music, so I told him to download the music files and put them on an empty flash drive I gave him. Note that he is using a Chromebook.

The following dialogue may cause cringe (B is younger brother, M is me):

B: "What do you mean?"
M: "The music files. Download the music files."
B: "What do you mean by the music files?"
M: <gives up and does it for him>
M: <tosses him 1GB flash drive> "Put those files on here."
B: <proceeds to try and jam flash drive into an HDMI port>

M: "Stop! You'll break it!" <grabs flash drive and puts it in correct port>

M: <sighs inwardly> "Put the music files on the flash drive."

B: "Ok."

M: <goes to use bathroom>

B: <during this, he comes up>聽"Can you help?"

M: Wait until I'm done.

B: <waits> "Ok, now what?"
M: <sighs quietly but still audible> "Take those files you just downloaded and put them on that. It's called DD."

B: "How?"
M: "Open Files, go to Recent, take the .mp3 files, and put them on DD."

B: "Ok." <proceeds to open Chrome, type 'Recent', then be confused"
M: <gives up> "Like this." <does it in 20 seconds>

M: Take the flash drive and plug it into the sound bar (we have a sound bar with a USB port that you can play .wav and .mp3 music from). Then set it to the USB source; there's a chart on the side of the Wii."

B: "The Rii?"
M: "The WII. (granted, I have braces)" <repeat x5>

B: "Oh, the Wii."
M: "Yes, that's what I said."

B: <gets the flash drive in the port, but doesn't understand how to set it to the USB source>

M: "I'm done. Go ask Dad."

B: <goes downstairs. I hear this.> "Dad, how do you set the sound bar to be a USB?"

What in the world did I just read, how old is he?

1606105693694.png

Cool tech tip inside:

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

elephants

On 11/12/2020 at 11:29 AM, Results45 said:

I just finished watching Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. over the weekend (Seasons 1-7 since September 2020) and I saw that after seeing this on the forum back then and man, had a good laugh out of that! Or look at the circuit box and its just a motherboard without a CPU in its socket in聽the show on Zephyr 1 when they were stuck in the time loop.聽

PSU Tier List || Graphics Card Tier List

Resonance Cascade Specifications:聽

CPU: Intel i9-10980XE 18C/36T聽 ||聽聽CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler聽||聽RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB(8x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18聽 ||聽Mobo: MSI X299聽Gaming Pro Carbon AC聽 ||聽聽SSD: Samsung 970聽EVO聽聽1TB聽M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games) 聽||聽HDD:2X Western Digital聽Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)聽 || GPU: MSI RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO聽 || 聽PSU: EVGA P2 1600W聽 ||聽Case: Corsair 900D聽 ||聽聽Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE聽RGB聽 ||聽Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky聽Switches聽 ||Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL聽||聽Monitor:聽MSI MAG271CQR 144HZ 27"聽

On 11/11/2020 at 11:27 PM, 2Buck said:

Reminds me of my golden rule during my tech support days: someone's tendency to cite their certifications is inversely proportionate to how much they know about the problem at hand. "I have an A+/CISSP/Microsoft cert!" pretty much guarantees they haven't even rebooted their modem yet.

I'd say WiFi is good enough for many situations, especially with WiFi 6 in the mix, but... no, there's no substitute for Ethernet in some situations. Certainly not places where 10Gbps Ethernet is virtually mandatory for sharing large files.

1 hour ago, Commodus said:

Reminds me of my golden rule during my tech support days: someone's tendency to cite their certifications is inversely proportionate to how much they know about the problem at hand. "I have an A+/CISSP/Microsoft cert!" pretty much guarantees they haven't even rebooted their modem yet.

I'd say WiFi is good enough for many situations, especially with WiFi 6 in the mix, but... no, there's no substitute for Ethernet in some situations. Certainly not places where 10Gbps Ethernet is virtually mandatory for sharing large files.

I remember doing the A+ the other year (220-901, 220-902) and them having questions about the Starter and Home editions of Windows Vista in an office setting, in November 2018. A while ago聽they changed the cert to only last 3 years claiming it was about making sure people's knowledge is always relevant but the questions seem to be updated a lot less frequently which doesn't seem to support that claim.

I think it did have some questions about power cycling though... Maybe those people skipped those questions.

On the whole it felt like a waste of time and money, and it's never been relevant in any work or personal situation I've been in. I don't even talk about it around people who are knowledgeable about tech because it's honestly just an embarrassment. Seems to exist solely so that CompTIA can generate profit and to satisfy tech illiterate HR people and hiring managers who think you can't do anything unless you have this and you're also qualified to use Microsoft Word and Excel, a common question I got asked in interviews.

I'm not the only one who has this sentiment and CompTIA lobby against right to repair constantly - here's just one example -聽so I never want to do one of the certifications again.

My middle school had聽a school news program where segments would be made by multiple groups of people, then edited together to make the broadcast. We used Canon T5i and T6i cameras to film (with SD card slots). So two of the most important rules to follow were to 1. eject the SD card from the computer before removing it and 2. never edit off the SD card

There were multiple instances where people just completely ignored both of those rules, and yes, Jared (not real name), pulling out the SD card when Premiere Pro is exporting your completed project after you finished editing on the SD card will result in data corruption and the complete loss of your project. No, I can't do anything about it.

Oh and did I tell you about the time I accidentally stuck an SD card in an iMac DVD drive?

The Schnoz

1 minute ago, Schnoz said:

Oh and did I tell you about the time I accidentally stuck an SD card in an iMac DVD drive?

Professional editor

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

17 minutes ago, Emily123 said:

I remember doing the A+ the other year (220-901, 220-902) and them having questions about the Starter and Home editions of Windows Vista in an office setting, in November 2018. A while ago聽they changed the cert to only last 3 years claiming it was about making sure people's knowledge is always relevant but the questions seem to be updated a lot less frequently which doesn't seem to support that claim.

I think it did have some questions about power cycling though... Maybe those people skipped those questions.

On the whole it felt like a waste of time and money, and it's never been relevant in any work or personal situation I've been in. I don't even talk about it around people who are knowledgeable about tech because it's honestly just an embarrassment. Seems to exist solely so that CompTIA can generate profit and to satisfy tech illiterate HR people and hiring managers who think you can't do anything unless you have this and you're also qualified to use Microsoft Word and Excel, a common question I got asked in interviews.

I'm not the only one who has this sentiment and CompTIA lobby against right to repair constantly - here's just one example -聽so I never want to do one of the certifications again.

Agreed. Certainly these days, when the tech is often easy enough to figure out and changes quickly enough as it is. It's also somewhat amusing when they insist on Microsoft Office suite skills when many people have moved on to G Suite... as if software requirements got stuck in 2005.

7 minutes ago, Commodus said:

they insist on Microsoft Office suite skills when many people have moved on to G Suite... as if software requirements got stuck in 2005.

You know there鈥檚 only Microsoft office and no other programs for text editing and writing and presentations exist

There鈥榮 still people who think Digitalization means stagnation聽

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Hi

16 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

There were multiple instances where people just completely ignored both of those rules, and yes, Jared (not real name), pulling out the SD card when Premiere Pro is exporting your completed project after you finished editing on the SD card will result in data corruption and the complete loss of your project. No, I can't do anything about it.

At least they learned their lessons now and not in University when writing something really really important聽

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Hi

1 hour ago, Schnoz said:

My middle school had聽a school news program where segments would be made by multiple groups of people, then edited together to make the broadcast. We used Canon T5i and T6i cameras to film (with SD card slots). So two of the most important rules to follow were to 1. eject the SD card from the computer before removing it and 2. never edit off the SD card

Assuming Windows was being used do SD cards have write caching enabled by default? I know with USB flash drives you have to manually change the removal policy for the drive to better performance. I think premiere pro would only be writing the output file and not any of the other source files when exporting and in that instance the project should have been somewhat salvageable unless they really messed up.

14 hours ago, Commodus said:

Yup, usually in my experience the minute someone brings up certifications, I worry for their intelligence. If they didn't have something to prove they wouldn't feel the need to bring it up.

And yeah, wifi is usually always fine in 99% of cases. Things like games that use delay based netcode however, yeah every last ms counts and ethernet is really the only option (especially in our pandemic world where competitive gaming is all online now.) But for casual gaming... as long as the signal is good, Wifi will do just fine. It's just the statement that "ethernet is equal to or even better" that got me so hard lmao.

Current Rig

i7 2600k @ 4.7ghz 1.4v - EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 @ 1500mhz - 16GB Hyper x Fury 1866 - Asus p8z77-v lk (1$) - 250GB SSD - 2x1TB HDD storage - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

FX 8320 Rig

FX 8320 @ 4.5ghz - EVGA GTX 770 SC 2GB - 16GB RAM - 250GB SSD - CM 212 EVO - Asus M5A97 R2.0 - EVGA 500w Bronze - CM Elite 430 Black

Xeon Rig

Xeon e3 1240 @3.3ghz - EVGA GTX 670 - 16GB RAM - 250GB SSD - CM Hyper T2 - Seasonic 500w Bronze- Rosewill Micro ATX

Nahelem Rig

i7 860 @ 3.7ghz - 8GB DDR3 - GTX 670 - 250GB SSD

And of course, my q6600 rig

q6600 @ 3.4ghz 1.45v - Zalman copper cooler - 8GB DDR2 - GTX 560ti - 250GB SSD

Server 1: FX 6100 @ 3.8ghz - 12GB DDR3

Server 2 - q6700 @ 3.2ghz - 8GB DDR3

PFSense router: Core 2 Duo @3.16ghz - 4GB DDR3 - 64GB SSD - 16 port tplink gigabit switch

Openmediavault: 4TB - 4GB DDR2 - q6600

The 5$ Laptop (Asus r510c) (+60$ worth of upgrades)

Core i5 i5-3337U 1.8ghz (2.5ghz) - 240gb SSD - 320gb WD Black - 8GB DDR3 - Intel HD Graphics 4000

HTPC - Wolf In Sheep's Clothing (Crappy HP OEM SFF case and PSU from 2009)

AMD A8 6800k @4.2ghz - GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 - 8GB DDR3 - 250GB SP SSD - Some Asus FM2+ motherboard

Bedroom HTPC - The 939 Monster

AMD Athlon 64 x2 @ 2.8ghz - HD 3850 256mb - 4GB DDR400 - 80GB WD Blue IDE - SOCKET 939 BITCHES

I just did 10th grade course selection and saw this:
Digital Electronics

It's mandatory because of the program I'm in...

Oh no...

Cool tech tip inside:

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

elephants

21 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

I just did 10th grade course selection and saw this:
Digital Electronics

It's mandatory because of the program I'm in...

Oh no...

I believe in you.

(try not to die of boredom)

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

1 minute ago, FakeNSA said:

I believe in you.

(try not to die of boredom)

At least it's next year.

But really, it's just "what is a graphics card, what is a CPU, what is a hard drive, how do you use "advanced program" (really just "Can you use CAD and use ping in a terminal?"

I hope that once my teacher figures out that I know more than what the course teaches he'll let me do other things.

Cool tech tip inside:

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler