Experiences with non-techies

Just now, N1ghtshade said:

Are you leeching off someone else's?

no

stop reading my profile..

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

no

stop reading my profile..

wat

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

3 hours ago, themctipers said:

Step 3: Get used to the idea that this is something you're going to have to keep investing time and money in as long as you want to stay at the cutting edge or recommended specifications range for new PC games.

stay at the cutting edge.. when is that cheap? when was that ever cheap?

also recommended specs are laughable.. wow, you need a very expensive cpu from 2011 to pass the recommended hardware config, not even the minimal.. that would be a quad core from 2007 (q6600).. even at that, I'm pretty sure the GTX 480 is supported in almost every modern game.. yes, a gpu from 2010.

That's not to mention you don't have to stay on the cutting edge. It's fine to be using an older computer today. Also not even to mention that staying with an Xbox and not upgrading it isn't "staying on the cutting edge" either.

People complain that pcs are way more expensive than consoles, and that you need to keep investing in them, but fail to realize that a) you're paying for a machine that's multiple times more powerful and multiple times more capable not only in games but other tasks as well, sicne you can use a pc for more than gaming and b) that you don't have to keep upgrading. Comparing getting a pc and upgrading it every few years to getting an Xbox and keeping it for 6 years isn't comparable! You should be comparing it to switching an Xbox every 2 years.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

I was raised by very non tech savvy parents, me as some one who had a hobby of playing computer games wanted to be a programmer (a high level one) as it fascinated me on how these game devs could create worlds inside a game (yeah childish dream, but still a dream). Upon growing up I noticed that most of the jobs are either being replaced by computers or is becoming reliant to computers. Seeing this, I concluded that taking an BSIT course would be more profitable for me in the future.

My parents wanted me to become a seaman, I said no as I wanted take an IT course. They treathened to not support me financially or atleast I would need to find a job just to take the course, where I live however there's next to 0 chance on finding a job as a 15 yr old. So I tried to make a compromise, if I pass an entrance with very high marks, they'd support me.

I had four choices, one of which is my mom's alma matter, another one is a public college which is cheap but no IT courses, and the last 2 are some of the best colleges for an iT course around. I passed all four, got an 80% tuition fee discount on one of the 2 good college schools and half tuition fee on the other. Seeing that I also passed my exam at my mom's alma matter, and that it also offered IT courses, annnd that it was cheaper than the 2 good college schools, they forced me to study there and instead of an IT course I was forced to take a Computer tech course with a choice to continue as an IT for an additional year after graduating.

When I entered, the school only recently hosted these courses, like they started just 2 years ago from the time I entered. Their curriculum was bad, most of the teachers dont really know much of what they're doing (only when I reached 3rd year was the time they hired competent instructors), most of the time they'll just give you an assignment/project and leave you be, heck they were teaching us woodworking during my second year. I even got into a confrontation with a professor who tought I wasn't listening to him discussing the parts of a voltmeter, he made me stand up, ask me questions for about 15 minutes, I answered them all, apparently this hurt his pride, I made a mistake on the last question, he saved himself of the embarrasment and made me stand up for 3 and a half hours til lunch. We forced that guy to leave later that year when we found out that he was soliciting one of the students for good grades in exchange of secretly being in a relationship with him

Fast forward to today, I'm now a programmer with 7 years of exp. I'm not as good as those ones who graduated on schools that specialized on IT however, but I'm still trying to learn on my own. I was forced to not take the extra year to finish my IT course since Dad died. If I did I'd be risking losing my job. I'm not an IT graduate, I'm a Computer techinician who knows programming. I'm forced to be a breadwinner, now my mom is seeing how much money people who graduated on IT courses make, and asks me from time to time, "Why don't you earn x amount of money like, x person, didn't you graduated on the same course?" apparently she could not discern the difference between IT and Computer techinician.

Remembering this make me rage a little. Sorry for the wall of text.

4 minutes ago, JuNex03 said:

-snip-

I came here to laugh at dumb people doing non-techie things, not read about someone's life story/hobby and get some feels :( 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

I came here to laugh at dumb people doing non-techie things, not read about someone's life story/hobby and get some feels :( 

well it was his non-techy parents which pushed him down that path.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

Just now, mcraftax said:

well it was his non-techy parents which pushed him down that path.

But it's not like dumb short term non-techie parents.

It's semi non-techie parents semi non-forward-looking parents that potentially changed his life, in a bad way, forever :/ 

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Correlation does indeed equal causation /s

17800176_700570423456023_1730314735677112789_n.jpg.d11e069ee09bafd14cc0b7c47078368b.jpg

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

5 hours ago, matrix07012 said:

Correlation does indeed equal causation /s

17800176_700570423456023_1730314735677112789_n.jpg.d11e069ee09bafd14cc0b7c47078368b.jpg

See? This just proves my point!

Spoiler

We need to lower murder rates so less people use I.E.!!!

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

I'm a junior sys admin. Today at work we got a call because one of our end users had been talking to another end user and they had become convinced that the cell service was down in a part of the building, and asked us if we needed to reset the cell tower.

I facepalmed very hard.

CPU: i7-4790 GPU: R9 Nitro Fury Tri-X RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz | SSD: 480GB PNY PSU: EVGA 850BQ

Jr. Systems Administrator

A SysAdmin's Haiku:

It's not DNS

There's no way it's DNS

It was DNS

13 minutes ago, Saurfang said:

I'm a junior sys admin. Today at work we got a call because one of our end users had been talking to another end user and they had become convinced that the cell service was down in a part of the building, and asked us if we needed to reset the cell tower.

I facepalmed very hard.

Make sure turn it off and on again fam.

someone on apple discord just dismissed devastator 2 for being 'gamer'

and the apple keyboards as good value. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

if all goes well

im getting a 7th gen laptop 

trading it with some idiot in my class for a i3 530 system lmfao

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

5 minutes ago, themctipers said:

if all goes well

im getting a 7th gen laptop 

trading it with some idiot in my class for a i3 530 system lmfao

how?

14 minutes ago, bear-in-the-air said:

how?

i d i o t 

idiot

jk his system is borked and he wants a new faster computer, he just happens to be an idiot so..

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

On 4/7/2017 at 3:35 AM, Saurfang said:

I facepalmed very hard.

IMG_2069.jpg.d160e53e712a56973aa31da431dbd6a0.jpg

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

18 hours ago, themctipers said:

i d i o t 

idiot

jk his system is borked and he wants a new faster computer, he just happens to be an idiot so..

i have a friend who wants a new computer and is looking at an hp pavilion and i tried to show him what he could get if i made him one. he is probably getting touch screen the computer probably either has a trash gpu or none at all.

4 hours ago, matrix07012 said:

IMG_2069.jpg.d160e53e712a56973aa31da431dbd6a0.jpg

fmimg854996157793448001.jpg

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

On 1/17/2013 at 5:47 AM, rainbrodash666 said:

so this one time I was hanging out with my friend who is the manager at a tech shop by where I live and a girl comes in and buys a 2tb hard drive. we let her know that we install hard drives for $1 (the cost of the sata cable we use) and she says "just because I am a woman does not mean I cant work on computers" and leaves in a huff. two days later she comes back in saying that the HDD is not working so we take the computer in to look at it, we open it and the HDD is nowhere to be seen, so we ask her where it is. and it turns out that she scanned it and put the scanned image on her desktop to install the drive. and to top that off she threw away the drive she paid almost $200 for and she wanted us to give her a new one.

EDIT: feel free to quote this comment, I like seeing peoples reactions even though the comment is 2+ years old.

This is so retarded.

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

fmimg854996157793448001.jpg

ios 6  a e s t h e t i c s

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

17 minutes ago, themctipers said:

ios 6  a e s t h e t i c s

Assthetics?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, NunoLava1998 said:

Found this on http://www.rinkworks.com/stupid/cs_stupsales.shtml:

• Salesman: "Relax. The BIOS on the sound card was conflicting with the AOL drivers. This caused a problem with your memory, making the machine reboot."

AOL drivers?

AOL DRIVERS?!?

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, DocSwag said:

AOL drivers?

AOL DRIVERS?!?

We gotta get to the children's section to get computer memory before fixing the important AOL drivers! (reference from story earlier in the link)

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux