How do I change what monitor search is on in windows 8?

The thing where you put your mouse into the corner and drag it down to open search. How do I change what monitor it's on? It used to work on my main monitor but now it only works on my secondary monitor. My main monitor is set to my main display, so I don't know why it's not working. The only thing I can think of is that my second monitor is "1" when I click identify, but I don't know how to change that. Please help.

I was just messing around in the display settings to see if changing the main display does anything for the search. You're right, changing the main display doesn't alter where the search comes up.

It seems that it just comes up on whatever monitor that you're currently focused on. (i.e. if you've clicked on a window on that monitor) 

Try opening up file explorer or some program and clicking on it. Then press Windows Key + S to bring up the search. Then drag the file explorer to another monitor and bring up search again. For me it switches to the monitor wherever the program I'm focused on is located.

CPU: i7-4790K --- HEATSINK: NZXT Kraken X61 --- MOBO: Asus Z97-A --- GPU: GTX 970 Strix --- RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG --- SSD: 512GB MX100 | 256GB BX200 HDD: 1TB WD Black --- PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 --- CASE: NZXT H440 --- DISPLAY3 x Dell U2414H --- KEYBOARD: Pok3r (Clears) --- MOUSE: Logitech G Pro --- OS: Windows 10

If I'm picturing it right the shortcut works on all monitors. It's sometimes a big buggy and I'll notice chrome blocks it from working sometimes. Try doing it when you're on the desktop.

Side note, you know you can get to the search by pressing the Windows key and S?

You can summon the entire charms bar with Windows + C

I was just messing around in the display settings to see if changing the main display does anything for the search. You're right, changing the main display doesn't alter where the search comes up.

It seems that it just comes up on whatever monitor that you're currently focused on. (i.e. if you've clicked on a window on that monitor) 

Try opening up file explorer or some program and clicking on it. Then press Windows Key + S to bring up the search. Then drag the file explorer to another monitor and bring up search again. For me it switches to the monitor wherever the program I'm focused on is located.

Hmm. You are right with the windows key + S, but it still doesn't work with the mouse movement. I guess I will start using windows+S though!

If I'm picturing it right the shortcut works on all monitors. It's sometimes a big buggy and I'll notice chrome blocks it from working sometimes. Try doing it when you're on the desktop.

Side note, you know you can get to the search by pressing the Windows key and S?

You can summon the entire charms bar with Windows + C

The shortcut does work on all monitors. The mouse movement doesn't work on desktop.

Thanks for the shortcuts!

The shortcut does work on all monitors. The mouse movement doesn't work on desktop.

Thanks for the shortcuts!

Weird... Maybe you fiddled with the settings somewhere. I just did it successfully on all 3 of mine.

Hmm. You are right with the windows key + S, but it still doesn't work with the mouse movement. I guess I will start using windows+S though!

Glad it worked for you. I think you can also just press the Windows key and start typing; it does the same search but also brings up the whole start menu. Which is why I use Windows+S.

CPU: i7-4790K --- HEATSINK: NZXT Kraken X61 --- MOBO: Asus Z97-A --- GPU: GTX 970 Strix --- RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG --- SSD: 512GB MX100 | 256GB BX200 HDD: 1TB WD Black --- PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 --- CASE: NZXT H440 --- DISPLAY3 x Dell U2414H --- KEYBOARD: Pok3r (Clears) --- MOUSE: Logitech G Pro --- OS: Windows 10

Weird... Maybe you fiddled with the settings somewhere. I just did it successfully on all 3 of mine.

Damn.

Why, past me? Why you do this?  :(

Damn.

Why, past me? Why you do this?  :(

Could just be Windows being buggy too.

I personally find Win + S to be the quicker option when it comes to the search though. Or you could just press Win and start typing the search.

Could just be Windows being buggy too.

I personally find Win + S to be the quicker option when it comes to the search though. Or you could just press Win and start typing the search.

Yeah it probably is quicker. I just need to get used to it