What happened to my PPD?

Hello Everyone, 

About 2 years ago I got in to folding at home and was really into it for a while (got into the top 10 folders on the LTT team), but I moved out and had to start paying for my own power bills, so had to give it up. 

But now I'm back (don't have to pay for power any more and its coming up to winter and folding turns my rig into a great room heater), and have noticed something weird. 

When I first started folding (2 years ago) my main rig with a 2600K and 2 GTX680's was getting around 220,000 PPD, now the same rig is only getting an average of around 65,000 PPD. 

I have gone in and set the client types as advanced but it has not increased my PPD.

Has folding at home gotten harder in the past few years or am I missing something? 

Thanks 

-ces160

If the WU is less than 3% completed, the ETA is set to the maximum amount of time you have to complete it, and so the PPD estimate is off because of that. You can check the actual completion in the log :)

Edit:Just realised that this isn't the issue you're having :/

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

If the WU is less than 3% completed, the ETA is set to the maximum amount of time you have to complete it, and so the PPD estimate is off because of that. You can check the actual completion in the log :)

Edit:Just realised that this isn't the issue you're having :/

Hey thanks for the info.

Yeah, I'm not sure what's going on. 

Perhaps folding at home get harder as more and more people fold, kinda like bit coin. 

Hey thanks for the info.

Yeah, I'm not sure what's going on. 

Perhaps folding at home get harder as more and more people fold, kinda like bit coin. 

Drivers are made for newer cards so the older cards with the newer drivers will be less optimized for folding on older gpu's. Just make sure you have that driver since you had that 220K points.

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

Are you running core 15's on those gpu's?

Alternativly it could be a driver issue. 

What drivers are you on? 347.88 has a major performance hit due to a place forcing them to make a "power saving" driver, try 347.52 or 347.09.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Drivers are made for newer cards so the older cards with the newer drivers will be less optimized for folding on older gpu's. Just make sure you have that driver since you had that 220K points.

Thanks I will look into an older driver and see how it goes.

Are you running core 15's on those gpu's?

Alternativly it could be a driver issue. 

I'm not sure what you mean by core 15's, looked it up and there was some talk of GPU3 and OpenMM but I don't really understand.

Any suggestions for optimal settings I should try to maximise PPD?

What drivers are you on? 347.88 has a major performance hit due to a place forcing them to make a "power saving" driver, try 347.52 or 347.09.

Thanks, I will gives these ones a go first.

-

You need to go into advanced control by right clicking on the F@H icon under the arrow thingy bottom right in windows.

There you need to select one of the gpu slots and  on the right you'll see a list of stats and stuff.

Look for FahCore and it'll say 0x15 for core 15 and 0x17 for 17 and so on. 

You need to go into advanced control by right clicking on the F@H icon under the arrow thingy bottom right in windows.

There you need to select one of the gpu slots and  on the right you'll see a list of stats and stuff.

Look for FahCore and it'll say 0x15 for core 15 and 0x17 for 17 and so on. 

Oh OK Yeah, I just had a look and the one that is currently folding is a 0x17 with an estimated PPD of 40K.

Oh OK Yeah, I just had a look and the one that is currently folding is a 0x17 with an estimated PPD of 40K.

Have you entered a passkey that qualifies for QRB though? 

It might just be that you are just getting the base credit for the

wu and no bonus points. Also remember, different core potentially

different point scheme and different ppd. There is a big difference

between a core 15 with no QRB and a core 17 with QRB for 

example. 

install these drivers https://app.box.com/s/s6vd9ppuwrcwhd1t61yoy8hispukg1b6tell me later you're ppd it is to low for a 690.

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular