Is the r9 290 still high end?

CalumGiff

As above

CPU-i5 4690k 4.4ghz @ 1.190V, MOBO-MSI z97 gaming 3, Cooler-hyper 212 evo, GPU- r9 290x asus directcuII (-37Mv), Storage-120gb v300(switching soon), 1tb caviar blue, CASE-Red/black h440, PSU-Antec TPC 650.

As above

Yes sir, for 1080p and even a bit for 1440p

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

until the 3xx series is here, yeah.

i still consider the GTX7xx series high end even though the 9xx series is here.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

Was just wondering cause im buying a msi OC edition within the next month for my new build. If u had said no i would still have bought the card but i was just wondering :)

CPU-i5 4690k 4.4ghz @ 1.190V, MOBO-MSI z97 gaming 3, Cooler-hyper 212 evo, GPU- r9 290x asus directcuII (-37Mv), Storage-120gb v300(switching soon), 1tb caviar blue, CASE-Red/black h440, PSU-Antec TPC 650.

For 1080p yes, and little bit of 1440p aswell................. I would buy a 970 though which runs cooler quiter and uses alot less power! I feel like the 290 was washed aside after just a few months and it is a killer GPU when watercooled and aftermarket cooled and in crossfire!

'FrostNova' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Samsterstorm/saved/WtBWGX :

CPU: Intel 4790k | MB: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (+200, +250) | CASE: NZXT H440 (Black & Blue) | COOLER: Full EK 240mm CPU Loop | RAM: 16GB Hyper-X Fury (4x4GB @2133mhz) | STORAGE: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & Hyperx 120gb SSD | PSU: Corsair RM650 | SCREEN: Benq G2750 | LIGHTING: Deepcool RGB LED Kit | KEYBOARD: CM Devastator | MOUSE: Logitech G502 | HEADSET: Hyperx Clouds White 

until the 3xx series is here, yeah.

i still consider the GTX7xx series high end even though the 9xx series is here.

Just sitting here, looking at all those topics about 9xx series, then looking at my gtx 760, which I bought last autumn and can handle all nextgen over 60fps in 1080p... Lost.

Yes but nowadays, the 290x it's starting to make more sense: It has come down in price so much that you might as well get one. You can normally overclock a 290 to those levels anyway but if it already comes like that out of the box why not?

-------

Current Rig

-------

It's high end, for AMD lol. But in the grand scheme of things it's a mid tier card.

CPU - Intel Core i7 4770K @ 4.80GHz / GPU - MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming / RAM - 16 GB G.Skill TridentX 2400 MHz / Motherboard - Maximus VI Formula / CPU Cooler - Kraken x60 / Power Supply - Rosewill Lightning 1300w / Case - Enthoo Luxe Monitor - Asus ROG Swift PG278Q / Sound - Razer Kraken 7.1 / Keyboard - Razer Blackwidow Chroma / Mouse - Razer Naga Hex + Razer Deathadder Chroma | Picture - [http://i.imgur.com/SSKZKWu.jpg]

It's high end, for AMD lol. But in the grand scheme of things it's a mid tier card.

Not really, it's not that much worse than a 290X (which is about GTX 970 for 1080p). If we consider 960/280 mid-tier then 290 is 100% high end.

pfft I consider it high end hell I even still consider my GTX 680 High End LOL! 

CPU: I5 7400 | Motherboard: MSI H110M  | RAM: 16GB G-Skill 2400mhz  | GPU:  NVIDIA  MSI Gaming 4G GTX 970 | Case: Tecware Quad | Cooling: Stock| Storage: Kingston 120gb SSD, 1TB Drive ,  | PSU: Seasonic 620 Watt 80+ Bronze Full Modular | Display: Devant 50 Inch Smart TV   | 

Not really, it's not that much worse than a 290X (which is about GTX 970 for 1080p). If we consider 960/280 mid-tier then 290 is 100% high end.

960 is entry level tier though not mid, 970 is mid, 980 is high and Titan X is enthusiast

CPU - Intel Core i7 4770K @ 4.80GHz / GPU - MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming / RAM - 16 GB G.Skill TridentX 2400 MHz / Motherboard - Maximus VI Formula / CPU Cooler - Kraken x60 / Power Supply - Rosewill Lightning 1300w / Case - Enthoo Luxe Monitor - Asus ROG Swift PG278Q / Sound - Razer Kraken 7.1 / Keyboard - Razer Blackwidow Chroma / Mouse - Razer Naga Hex + Razer Deathadder Chroma | Picture - [http://i.imgur.com/SSKZKWu.jpg]

960 is entry level tier though not mid, 970 is mid, 980 is high and Titan X is enthusiast

That doesn't make sense, 970 is twice as fast as a 960 whereas 980 is slightly better than a 970.. Price wise I agree but the performance gap isn't large enough to say 970 is mid and 980 is high.

You're entitled to your opinion, but given it's price and performance the 960 it's definitively a midrange card for the vast majority of people and you're the very tiny minority that would consider it entry level.

-------

Current Rig

-------

That doesn't make sense, 970 is twice as fast as a 960 whereas 980 is slightly better than a 970.. Price wise I agree but the performance gap isn't large enough to say 970 is mid and 980 is high.

Have you seen a 980 OC vs a 970 OC, and 15-20% better performance is quite a bit my friend

I don't know, I'd call entry level cards like GTX 750 Ti, R7 260x, and R7 265. I guess I'd define entry level as the minimum level to build a decent gaming system for running 900p and 1080p, depending on the game. 

He's obviously defending his own purchase. Tom's and other reviewers have a different scale which they use to categorize the GPUs.

Regardless, rose by any other name... if you have any consideration for value, you'd be buying the GTX 970, and if you don't, you still wouldn't be buying the 980, because Titan X exists :P

As above

very much. and will be a competitive card for years. if you can get the vapor-x cooler for it then your gona be in a good spot.

CPU: I7 8700k @ 5ghz | Motherboard: Asus Z370-Prime | RAM: White Crucial balistix DDR4 2133mhz | GPU: GTX 1080TI | Storage: ssd HyperX 240gig, 2x2tb seagate Firecuda 1tb, BPX 480 gig nvme, 1tb sandisk ssd  | Cooling: Custom loop | PSU: Evga supernova 850w G2 | Case: Phanteks enthoo evolv atx black White modded | system theme: White/RGB/Weiss

He's obviously defending his own purchase. Tom's and other reviewers have a different scale which they use to categorize the GPUs.

Regardless, rose by any other name... if you have any consideration for value, you'd be buying the GTX 970, and if you don't, you still wouldn't be buying the 980, because Titan X exists :P

Sorry I don't want a card that causes my game to microstutter every time it uses past 3.5GB

Yes but nowadays, the 290x it's starting to make more sense: It has come down in price so much that you might as well get one. You can normally overclock a 290 to those levels anyway but if it already comes like that out of the box why not?

its around 50 pounds more expensive and i cant actually afford to buy one right now,

Sorry I don't want a card that causes my game to microstutter every time it uses past 3.5GB

Dayum.

☑ Not REKT ☐ REKT ☐ REKTangle ☐ SHREKT ☐ REKT-it Ralph ☐ Total REKTall ☐ The Lord of the REKT ☐ The Usual SusREKTs ☐ North by NorthREKT ☐ REKT to the Future ☐ Once Upon a Time in the REKT ☐ The Good, the Bad, and the REKT ☐ LawREKT of Arabia ☐ Tyrannosaurus REKT ☐ eREKTile dysfunction

Whatever, you're the 980 masturd race, the rest of us are bogging your progress down with our "midrange" cards :(

its around 50 pounds more expensive and i cant actually afford to buy one right now,

Then depending on which specific model of 290 you could overclock to near 290x levels anyway. So still a good buy for the 290

-------

Current Rig

-------

Yes it is, if you look at AMD's current line up you would put the 280 and 285 as there mid level, with the 280x being either the highest 'mid-range' card or the lowest 'high-end' card.

The 270 would be there main entry level card.

The R9 290 is for sure high end, it also is really good value for money especially second hand and is great for maxed out 1080p and maxed out 1440p (on older titles).

The 970 is still a great high end card for 1080p, at 1440p in certain games you can be using over 3.5gb of vram so that can cause issues.