Philips BDM4065UC 40" 2160p60 VA Monitor Review

Zerreth

Had one for about 5 months now.

Only way it could be significantly improved is with GSync support.

AMD guys have the korean version of these screens with freesync support already.

The stand is slighty annoying being fixed, but a small riser pad at the rear does the trick.

Brilliant for games, brilliant for drafting work (CAD)., great for movies too.

• 3 weeks later...

I LOVE this monitor !   :)

its beautiful which ever way you decide to use it.. 40' is not only not too big, but personally.. i think i would upgrade again if money was not a thing :P

i wanted a monitor that would alleviate the need for more monitors.. this does that trick no problem, and also it will also let you do a 4 monitor setup with NO BEZELS.. yep its got picture beside picture (and PiP) that will let you do up to 4 inputs :)  one for each corner of the screen.. basically this thing has only small flaws like no remote for OSD and its not an IPS which neither of which sould be a deal breaker for you unless you have VERY SPECIFIC NEEDS for IPS

the built in speakers are plenty loud if you need them for whatever reason.. but obviously you will want better ones for best sound

post-270122-0-69283800-1447705551_thumb.

post-270122-0-83217700-1447705582_thumb.

If there is one thing I want you to take away from this review then it is that UHD on anything smaller than 40" doesn't make sense. The Philips BDM4065UC is just big enough to allow for a comfortable 110 PPI. If it were any smaller then you'd have to deal with windows scaling. Don't settle for anything smaller, or just wait it out for more displays to come out at this size.

I personally like  Higher PPI i tried this moinitor out at a store and i was able to see the Pixels from a distance i would use it at  2-3' Which is a reason i personally like 4k/UHD  benefits in Clarity. when i use my 28"4k moinitor im hard pressed to see pixels at 2' at my desk at home.

but for productivity and work i could see this being better or being able to game at 1440p/1080p windowed and it not be tiny like it would be on my 28" if you didnt have a crazy graphics card  but i honestly don't have any Problems with scaling in windows 10 yeah the Origin login is a bit small and steam popups are small but 99% of the time i use it i have no troubles and dont feel like im settling at all. I feel like both options are very good and have different positives and i wish they had more options in the 30"s as a middle ground between this and a 28" most seem crazy priced and few of them. 

All in all this does seem to be a great choice for its price size and quality though and anyone looking for 4k should at least put this on their radar before purchasing one Display options are getting crazy right now between 144hz, ultra wides, curved displays, 4k, IPS, Gsync Freesync Ect choosing now is not easy 

Great review, man. I'm considering buying one.

"Daddy's going on a dangerous mission to shoot his employees." -Linus Sebastian 2014 (src)

"I believe in French Fries. I believe in America. I believe in the Union." -Luke Lafreniere 2015 (src)

"I have pockets in all my shorts." -Luke Lafreniere 2015 (src)

• 2 weeks later...

Some updates:

I now also own a 11" windows 10 tablet, scaling is a must on such a device ( 150% ) and I've already bumped against lots of apps that simply break with scaling. This solidifies my position even more that having any 4K monitor for windows smaller than 40" would be a very bad idea. At least for now.

I forgot to mention in the review that there doesn't seem to be settings per input separately ( booh!) and that the HDMI black level is not configurable. For a monitor, this usually isn't an issue with the HDMI signal being configured from the GPU end to the full range ( 0-255 ), but for consoles that don't have these options, it means that you're stuck with a limited colour range. ( usually 16-235 ) This crucial information has been added to the review.

That's no moon, that's a death ball !
K'Nex Server -- R9 290 Alpenföhn Peter Review -- Philips BDM4065UC Review
CPU Intel i5-4760K @ 4.3Ghz MEM 4x 4GB Cucial Ballistix 1600 LP MOBO Asus Maximus VI Gene GPU 980Ti G1 @ 1.47Ghz SSD 3x Samsung 840 EVO 240GB Raid0 CASE Silverstone SG10 DISPLAY Philips BDM4065UC 40" UHD

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, great review, and awesome feedback.

Do i understand correctly that there is no alternative to this monitor - 40", 4k with split screen ?

Upon further investigation i found the AMH A409U

Regards

Well, shit.

Hey guys, great review, and awesome feedback.

Do i understand correctly that there is no alternative to this monitor - 40", 4k with split screen ?

Upon further investigation i found the AMH A409U

Regards

IMO this is a pretty decent reason for @LinusTech or @Slick to get us queued up with some kind of 40" 4k pc monitor reviews.. but i dont expect to see them until higher than 60hz refresh becomes more commonly available.

Also, i did watch a review on the AMH A409u but ultimately went with the Philips after my investigative process, and i do not know of any other monitors in this class that has the pip/pbp options available

How bad is the black levels on this?

Mid-range Emulation Gaming and Video Rendering PC

[CPU] i7 4790k 4.7GHz & 1.233v Delidded w/ CLU & vice method [Cooling] Corsair H100i [Mobo] Asus Z97-A [GPU] MSI GTX 1070 SeaHawk X[RAM] G.Skill TridentX 2400 9-11-11-30 CR1 [PSU] Corsair 750M 

I am happy with the black levels.. i only notice ugly black colors on the almighty youtube .. blu-ray or television broadcast looks amazing and clear

• 1 month later...

Black Levels are simply awesome. The only better black levels I've seen is on OLED.

The PIP/PBP options are cool, but I've really come to hate the OSD. It's slow, I hate the weird joystick navigation (right is confirm, press is on/off button when held) This screen just needs a remote. I have a USB serial cable and I could buy a raspberry pi or something to control it that way, I would have to learn & write the software myself. It's the only thing I actively hate about this display. The SmartControl Software is garbage.

I've also tested overclocking.
You can run 2560x1440, 1920x1080 & even 3840x1600 @ 78Hz ( it will fail above 80Hz ), BUT frameskipping will occur with anything above 60Hz, making overclocking completely useless.

That's no moon, that's a death ball !
K'Nex Server -- R9 290 Alpenföhn Peter Review -- Philips BDM4065UC Review
CPU Intel i5-4760K @ 4.3Ghz MEM 4x 4GB Cucial Ballistix 1600 LP MOBO Asus Maximus VI Gene GPU 980Ti G1 @ 1.47Ghz SSD 3x Samsung 840 EVO 240GB Raid0 CASE Silverstone SG10 DISPLAY Philips BDM4065UC 40" UHD

• 5 months later...
On 9/19/2015 at 10:46 AM, Zerreth said:

Some extra findings: 3840x2160 will NOT carry over 5m, I couldn't even get 2560x1440. So I'm stuck with my 2m cables then...

I am using 5M DP cable (HDMI did not worked, neither miniDP). Mine is from amazon.co.uk "Ugreen"
Note it was using MSI GTX760 and it seemed it used higher voltage.

I am happy with this monitor except that I use all 4 sources (TV box, chromecast, laptop, PC), and it is pain to switch, as detection seem to be broken. E.g. I expected that turning on PC would automatically switch to "new" source - which is not the case...

I managed to program serial->usb cable to switch it on PC turn on - but it was more hassle than help.