- FINISHED- Full passive powerful workstation / gaming rig... who said it can't be done?

Stefan1024

what are the temps

CPU < 85°C

GPU < 80°C

Read part 3 and 4 for detailed information

I redone the test after the acousic mod and the are almost the same.

Or do you mean the one one the pannel?

most left: CPU heat sink (the big one on the rigth)

middle left: copper block on the CPU

middle reigth: GPU VRM heasink (smal one)

most right: GPU copper block

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

woaah 4. swiss guy i find

haha gruss aus dem toggenburg

CPU: 4790K (4.8 ghz) | COOLING: Custom Liquid Cooling (240 mm rad) | GPU: GTX 980 ti Superclocked+ (2x)  | MOBO: Gryphon Z97 Armor Edition | RAM: Kingston (4x4 gb 1600 mhz) | SSD: 850 Evo (250 gb) | HDD: Black (1.5 tb) | CASE: Enthoo Evolv | PSU: G2 850 (850 w) | DISPLAYS: Acer XB270HU bprz / Philips 246V5LHAB/27 (3x) | KEYBOARD: Vengeance K60 | MOUSE: Naos 7000 | HEADSEAT: H Wireless / Cloud 2 | For the exact parts visit my PCPartpicker it even includes my Desk and some other stuff.

Damn thats some beast mode shit right there. I am impressed.

About 30 kg. LOL. Do you even lift

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

Part 6: The bill please!

I got some request for the cost and supplier of the cooling parts. So here you have the answer. All costs include shipping.

Case & cooling

- The four big heat sinks: second hand and on http://www.ebay.ch/ for 174 Euro

- GPU VRM heat sink: k0k04 on http://thermalforce.de/de/product/heatsink for 25 Euro

- GPU coil heat sink: VRM R2 from Thermalrigth, bought at http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B002VA742O/ref=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_0 for 27 Euro

- Copper bars and stainless steel sheets: 8 parts, 9.5 kg, bought at http://www.prokilo.de/ for 280 Euro

- Two Illuminated buttons: https://www.caseking.de/shop/catalog/DimasTech-Vandalismusschalter-taster-16mm-Silverline-blau::19435.html for 16 Euro

- CPU heat pipe: 6x300 mm, 8 pieces from Impactics, bought at https://www.caseking.de/shop/catalog/Impactics-Heatpipe-2er-Set-6x300-mm::16958.html for 60 Euro

- GPU heat pipe: 8x450 mm, 5 custom bend pieces from Situs Technicals, ordered directly from the manufacturer http://www.situs-tec.de/ for 160 Euro

- Prolimatech Megahalems: 60 CHF

- Screws, drills, 30g of Prolimatech PK-3 Nano Aluminium, 5g Arctic Silver thermal adhesive, aluminium profile, nuts, antistatic mat and wristband, thermal pads 1mm & 3mm, sound dampening and all I forgot: 350 Euro

Total ca. 1250 CHF (Swiss franc) = ~1600 CAD

Quite a big number, but it is roughly as expensive as Linus SubZero case.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

What's the noise levels on this?

Under heavy laod it's just around my hearing threshold level (30 cm distance from the PC). I haven't got a sound meter sorry.

I'm 23 and my hearing still works fine, so it is very quiet.

Part 7: Conclusion

Passive cooling is possible, but it is expensive, bulky and time consuming. So what are the alternatives? For media PCs (<50W) I would recommend a standard passive case. Something like an Impactics C3LH-B. But getting some big, badass heat sinks it the rugged, manly way!

post-216771-0-63795100-1428791133.jpg

Peltier elements are extremely inefficient and will double the thermal output. I the beginning I was thinking about it, but some calculations have shown it isn’t worth the extra heat.

SubZero? No way, unless you put the compressor in another room!

But custom loop water cooling with a big passive radiator and an acoustic isolated pump might work. And since Linus made the hard pipe build log, it looks like they are getting popular. But I can’t help I don’t like the thought of having water in a PC. And I haven’t built a PC before and a custom loop is not recommended for beginners. I also don’t want to bother about corrosion and maintenance.

Anyone of you “water modding guys/girls” willing to compete? ;)

This is the last part of my build log! I’m ready for your suggestions, comments, opinions and head-shaking, voting…

Project: Silent but it totally works I promise.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

Damn this is really cool, probably one of the most impressive builds I have seen around here ;)

Those temps are really nice as well, good job!

Mah Build:  CPU: Intel i7-7700K COOLING: NZXT Kraken X52 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 MOBO: Asus Strix Z270F RAM: 16GB GSKILL TridentZ RGB 3000 

CASE: In Win 303 STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate 1TB  SSHD PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W

• 3 weeks later...

Imagine the dust... all that dust...

Imagine the dust... all that dust...

What, I don't get it? Of course a little bit of dust can penetrate the case because I can't close all ventilation holes. But I expect it to be less dusty than a "normal" build with several intakes....

What, I don't get it? Of course a little bit of dust can penetrate the case because I can't close all ventilation holes. But I expect it to be less dusty than a "normal" build with several intakes....

In fact it would be less dusty as you dont have fans actively pulling dust into the case.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

This reminds me of the Zalman TNN-500A case from quite a long time ago lol.

Well done!

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

• 2 weeks later...

waiting up to 20 minutes to synthesizes a FGPA based design. 

Let me guess, you are using Vivado. 

Do you know how well it scales when you let it use more cores? Would an 8 core be worth it?

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Let me guess, you are using Vivado. 

Do you know how well it scales when you let it use more cores? Would an 8 core be worth it?

I'm useing Quartus II from Altera and Lattice Diamond.

Since the school don't give a 3k$ licence I'm locked down to single core usage. So an 8 core migth be worth it, but definitly not for me.

-.-

Hey we live very close!

Gruss aus St. Gallen^^

there arent many swiss people on here xD

CPU: 4790K (4.8 ghz) | COOLING: Custom Liquid Cooling (240 mm rad) | GPU: GTX 980 ti Superclocked+ (2x)  | MOBO: Gryphon Z97 Armor Edition | RAM: Kingston (4x4 gb 1600 mhz) | SSD: 850 Evo (250 gb) | HDD: Black (1.5 tb) | CASE: Enthoo Evolv | PSU: G2 850 (850 w) | DISPLAYS: Acer XB270HU bprz / Philips 246V5LHAB/27 (3x) | KEYBOARD: Vengeance K60 | MOUSE: Naos 7000 | HEADSEAT: H Wireless / Cloud 2 | For the exact parts visit my PCPartpicker it even includes my Desk and some other stuff.

I'm useing Quartus II from Altera and Lattice Diamond.

Since the school don't give a 3k$ licence I'm locked down to single core usage. So an 8 core migth be worth it, but definitly not for me.

-.-

And I thought only Vivado was total crap :D

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

And I thought only Vivado was total crap :D

In fact the software is good. It's simply a VERY cumpute intensive task to synthesize a nearly full FPGA with 115k logic cells and 4 Mbit memory. Especially then the timing constrains are very close to the devices capability and a lot of optimisation is required...

In fact the software is good. It's simply a VERY cumpute intensive task to synthesize a nearly full FPGA with 115k logic cells and 4 Mbit memory. Especially then the timing constrains are very close to the devices capability and a lot of optimisation is required...

Yeah I understand, but when the most basic of projects takes about 50 MB of hard drive space and a few minutes to compile, it gives you some food for thought :/

Of course the software is powerful, but it comes at quite a cost. 

Spoiler

• 3 weeks later...