Temps seem to high on a 4790k with H100i

Hello, first time posting so be gentle, but anyway I just bought a new motherboard, cpu, memory upgrade. The CPU is a 4790k and the motherboard is a ASUS Maxumus VII Formula and I am using my H100i cooler on it. However, the temps seem to hover around 35-40 degrees at idle...just seems to high for me especially since I had the exact same cooler on my older AMD 6300 and it ran at about 18 degrees at idle. I'm also using arctic silver 5 applied in the "uncooked grain of rice" method. So I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with my set up and what can be done to make the temps seem a bit more normal. Thanks in advance!

Hello, first time posting so be gentle, but anyway I just bought a new motherboard, cpu, memory upgrade. The CPU is a 4790k and the motherboard is a ASUS Maxumus VII Formula and I am using my H100i cooler on it. However, the temps seem to hover around 35-40 degrees at idle...just seems to high for me especially since I had the exact same cooler on my older AMD 6300 and it ran at about 18 degrees at idle. I'm also using arctic silver 5 applied in the "uncooked grain of rice" method. So I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with my set up and what can be done to make the temps seem a bit more normal. Thanks in advance!

That's pretty normal but not temps you would get on a dual-radiator AiO cooler. Stock with the Arctic MX-4 on my 4690k was around 30-35 also. 

Main Rig

Case: NZXT H440 White | CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @5.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition | RAM: HyperX Fury White & Black Series 16GB (4x4GB) OC to 2133MHz | Graphics Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti ArcticStorm | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB & Samsung 840 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA 750W Supernova G2 80+ Gold | Display: BenQ XL2420G & Samsung S20D300 | Headset: Corsair 1500 | Mouse: Logitech G700S | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Silver RED LED

XENON Build:  

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @3.3GHz | Intel DZ68BC | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x4GB 1866MHz | Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB | MSI GeForce GTX 680 | Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey | Seasonic 520W 80+ Platinum Fanless

Office Build:

Case: Fractal Focus G White | CPU: i5-8600K | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB-2666 | GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA BT 450W+ Bronze

Phone

iPhone XS Max 512GB Gold

What is your overclock?

What are your temps under load?

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

I currently have no overclock at the moment I wanted to sort this out before I did any of that. And under load they can reach as high as 70-80.

I currently have no overclock at the moment I wanted to sort this out before I did any of that. And under load they can reach as high as 70-80.

I have an H55 (pretty meh) and when I had a 1.36V overclock it had those temperatures... so not good lol

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Lol ya I thought it was pretty high for being AIO cooled and no overclock at all....I guess I should mention is I never tried to stock intel cooler because as you said "meh" lol but I know the cooler works good because I had it on my old CPU.

The H100i is not enough at all for a 4790k, I returned that crap the day I bought it and got a H320 from NCIX. Now that's a cooler worthy enough to put on the 4790k. 

35-40 degrees C at idle is ridiculously high IF your AMD 6300 idled at 18C, which is impossible if your room temp is not 18C or lower. So if your room/ambient temp is <18C and your 4790k idles at 35-40, there is problem somewhere...

Find out what your actual room temperature is, because I wouldn't be surprised if the 6300 had a faulty sensor, then we can see if your temps are good or bad. To see if something is wrong, it is not just the CPU temps we look at, its about the delta T, the difference from from temperature.

Anyways, if your room temp is under 20C, I would rip off the H100i, clean it and the CPU and then re apply.

4670k @ 4.3GHz w/ Deepcool Lucifer | ASRock z97e-itx/ac | 2x4GB G Skill Ares | MSI TFiii HD 7870 @ 1150/1450| OCZ Vertex 4 128GB + 1TB | Bitfenix Prodigy Black | Antec TP-650C

Use a pea sized thermal compound on LGA-1150, rice grain is for larger CPU's like the LGA-2011-3

I have a H110 with noctua industrial fans on my 4790k.

Doing a AIDA stress test (with FPU on) I max out at 68c, gaming it never hits 60c and idle is around 33/35c.

I don't have the CPU overclocked per say, I've get it set to boost to 4.4Ghz@1.181v on ALL CORE's (Generally it will only boost on one with stock settings), this warms up the CPU a little more, like overclocking does.

But just leaving the cpu at default clocks the H110 never lets the CPU go over 60c with a silent fan profile.

From what I read the H100i isn't as effect as some of the air coolers out there, like the Noctua NH-D15, this will actually cool the CPU better than a H100i.

35-40 degrees C at idle is ridiculously high IF your AMD 6300 idled at 18C, which is impossible if your room temp is not 18C or lower. So if your room/ambient temp is <18C and your 4790k idles at 35-40, there is problem somewhere...

Find out what your actual room temperature is, because I wouldn't be surprised if the 6300 had a faulty sensor, then we can see if your temps are good or bad. To see if something is wrong, it is not just the CPU temps we look at, its about the delta T, the difference from from temperature.

Anyways, if your room temp is under 20C, I would rip off the H100i, clean it and the CPU and then re apply.

I should say that the low idle temps were during the winter and I usually keep it very cold in my place just because I'm weird lol. But I have reapplied thermal paste a few times but next time I do I will use the "pea" method as mentioned in another post. 

Your 6300 did not idle at 18, your Intel CPU is simply reading your temperature more accurately.

What are your load temperatures? Idle temperatures are affected by things like what noise level you are willing to put up with, whereas if your load temperatures are high then you have a problem.

Your 6300 did not idle at 18, your Intel CPU is simply reading your temperature more accurately.

What are your load temperatures? Idle temperatures are affected by things like what noise level you are willing to put up with, whereas if your load temperatures are high then you have a problem.

This,unless your room temp is <18 c.

Your temps are average and you should be more concerned with your load temps than idle.

The H100i backplate doesn't work properly for some motherboards. Make sure to see if the pump isn't wobbly by moving it around on the CPU, if it does wobble around then you need to install spacers.

I had a similar issue with my Asus Z97-A. Right now my temps are below 73c under load with a 4.7GHz OC.

Mid-range Emulation Gaming and Video Rendering PC

[CPU] i7 4790k 4.7GHz & 1.233v Delidded w/ CLU & vice method [Cooling] Corsair H100i [Mobo] Asus Z97-A [GPU] MSI GTX 1070 SeaHawk X[RAM] G.Skill TridentX 2400 9-11-11-30 CR1 [PSU] Corsair 750M 

This,unless your room temp is <18 c.

Your temps are average and you should be more concerned with your load temps than idle.

Then it would be a coincidence that the 6300 measured the right temperature :P

The H100i backplate doesn't work properly for some motherboards. Make sure to see if the pump isn't wobbly by moving it around on the CPU, if it does wobble around then you need to install spacers.

I had a similar issue with my Asus Z97-A. Right now my temps are below 73c under load with a 4.7GHz OC

Where did you get said spacers? I'm guessing they have to be plastic.

Where did you get said spacers? I'm guessing they have to be plastic.

I used the spacers that come with motherboard screws, haven't seen them come with any of the new boards, but they are little red hard washers.

You usually put them in between the motherboard and the mounting screw.

Gives you that little bit of extra pressure, but not where you'll damage anything.

post-59432-0-86848100-1428314942.jpg

post-59432-0-15678100-1428315057.jpg

Keep in mind that AMD processors and Intel processors return different things for temperature, one gives Tcase (AMD) and the other gives TJmax (Intel), TJmax will always be higher than Tcase. AMD processors are also notorious for having inaccurate thermometers.

Besides that, I would suggest reseating your cooler, you're temperature aren't high enough to be that concerned about TBH. What's your voltage at?

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Thank you guys so much! I just finished doing the spacer thing and it dropped the temps by about 5-10 degrees depending on the load. When I first installed it I was kind of concerned with how loose the backplate felt but now I guess that makes sense. Thanks again!