GTX 970 problem fixed?

edmund306

its literally a problem they can't fix.

deal with it.

CPU - Intel Core i7 4770K @ 4.80GHz / GPU - MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming / RAM - 16 GB G.Skill TridentX 2400 MHz / Motherboard - Maximus VI Formula / CPU Cooler - Kraken x60 / Power Supply - Rosewill Lightning 1300w / Case - Enthoo Luxe Monitor - Asus ROG Swift PG278Q / Sound - Razer Kraken 7.1 / Keyboard - Razer Blackwidow Chroma / Mouse - Razer Naga Hex + Razer Deathadder Chroma | Picture - [http://i.imgur.com/SSKZKWu.jpg]

Is the gtx 970 problem fixed yet? Safe to buy?

That issue won't really be fixed to my understanding. It is how the card is designed, either make it how it is or make it essentially a 980. 

It was always good. People freaked out too much, and nvidia pretty much lied. But it, as a card, is very good. It always has been, even when people were freaking the fuck out. The benchmarks of it weren't faked or anything. The benchmarks are still just as high as when people fanboyed over the card at launch, even better due to driver optimizations. However is has only 3.5gb of vram. The last .5gb can pretty much be ignored.

It's not a problem. It's fine for 4k, save for a very small amount of games. 1440P? It's a no brainer.

The benchmarks have not changed since launch.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Is the gtx 970 problem fixed yet? Safe to buy?

Nvidia cannot fix it, but the card is perfectly fine.

Go look at some benchmarks for it, they don't lie.

I have the GTX 970 G1 Gaming from Gigabyte, and at 1080p I see absolutely no problem with the last .5GB of VRAM being slow, and at the resolutions where you would be hitting that 3.5GB+ mark, its most likely because AA was left on cranked up all the way.

I feel that AA is fine being set to this:

1080p - 8x

1440p - 4x

4K - off-2x

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Nvidia cannot fix it, but the card is perfectly fine.

Go look at some benchmarks for it, they don't lie.

I have the GTX 970 G1 Gaming from Gigabyte, and at 1080p I see absolutely no problem with the last .5GB of VRAM being slow, and at the resolutions where you would be hitting that 3.5GB+ mark, its most likely because AA was left on cranked up all the way.

I feel that AA is fine being set to this:

1080p - 8x

1440p - 4x

4K - off-2x

the only game i can think of that i get 30fps in at 1080p is skyrim, all aaa games i played were a dream.

That issue won't really be fixed to my understanding. It is how the card is designed, either make it how it is or make it essentially a 980. 

It was always good. People freaked out too much, and nvidia pretty much lied. But it, as a card, is very good. It always has been, even when people were freaking the fuck out. The benchmarks of it weren't faked or anything. The benchmarks are still just as high as when people fanboyed over the card at launch, even better due to driver optimizations. However is has only 3.5gb of vram. The last .5gb can pretty much be ignored.

I disagree. Completely false advertising so I think people were entitled to be freaked out.

I disagree. Completely false advertising so I think people were entitled to be freaked out.

Oh of course. But not about the capabilities of the card. It can still run games just as well/better than the benchmarks said when people were recommending them left and right. And 3.5gb is more than enough for most games at 1080p and many at 1440p.

I was referring to freaking out and not recommending the 970 even though it is still just as good of a card.

nvidia needed to be freaked out at though so this shit doesn't happen again. But people actually said that the 970 is a trash card because of it... Nope.

Oh of course. But not about the capabilities of the card. It can still run games just as well/better than the benchmarks said when people were recommending them left and right. And 3.5gb is more than enough for most games at 1080p and many at 1440p.

I was referring to freaking out and not recommending the 970 even though it is still just as good of a card.

nvidia needed to be freaked out at though so this shit doesn't happen again.

Ah right okay I get ya. I concur with your points here but I can also understand people being pissed off because clearly if it was the advertised specs it'd be that much better and at the same time, it's the advertised specs that they cared about when making the decision to buy the card. Especially the future proofing aspect.

nvidia needed to be freaked out at though so this shit doesn't happen again. But people actually said that the 970 is a trash card because of it... Nope.

it is a trash card if it goes over 3.5gb then u experience stutter... and that shits unacceptable.

CPU - Intel Core i7 4770K @ 4.80GHz / GPU - MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming / RAM - 16 GB G.Skill TridentX 2400 MHz / Motherboard - Maximus VI Formula / CPU Cooler - Kraken x60 / Power Supply - Rosewill Lightning 1300w / Case - Enthoo Luxe Monitor - Asus ROG Swift PG278Q / Sound - Razer Kraken 7.1 / Keyboard - Razer Blackwidow Chroma / Mouse - Razer Naga Hex + Razer Deathadder Chroma | Picture - [http://i.imgur.com/SSKZKWu.jpg]

There is no fix, it's the way the card was made to function, the best they can do is make the drivers use it more efficiently.

Mine runs 5720x1080 fairly well. A lot better than I was expecting. Go for it.

(I can play battlefield on high, without any problems that I can notice with just my eyes. And I'm talking hardline, not bf4, bf4 runs but it has some kind of crashing problem lately, that happens on one monitor or three.)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

it is a trash card if it goes over 3.5gb then u experience stutter... and that shits unacceptable

And how many games go over 3.5GB at anything but 4K? One.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

the only game i can think of that i get 30fps in at 1080p is skyrim, all aaa games i played were a dream.

With my 970 I easily run skyrim maxed out at 1080p with 60FPS, same for World of Tanks, Starcraft II, Hitman Absolution, And a bunch of other games.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

And how many games go over 3.5GB at anything but 4K? One.

And how many games in the future will do it as well..   more then one.

And how many games in the future will do it as well..   more then one.

At that point in time the 970 will be probably obsolete.

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

At that point in time the 970 will be probably obsolete.

I bet you witcher 3, on ultra with HD Textures will hit it.

That's gonna murder more than just 970. :D

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

I hope not :( I ran the witcher 2 on ultra (no ubersampling) with an increase fov mod as well as 2k textures...on my old 7870 I was getting 55-60fps. Lets hope my 970 can max it yet again, and use under 3.5Gb of vram xD

CPU: Intel I7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz 1.255v | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti | Display: Acer XB270HU bprz | RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Gskill Ripjaws X 1866MHz | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | SSD: Mushkin 120GB + Sandisk 480GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB | Case: Enthoo Pro |PSU: Seaconic M12II EVO 850w | OS: Windows 10 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech RGB G502 | Keyboard: Thermaltake Poseidon Z (Brown Switches) | 

With my 970 I easily run skyrim maxed out at 1080p with 60FPS, same for World of Tanks, Starcraft II, Hitman Absolution, And a bunch of other games.

i have a crazy amount of mods,16x aa

nVidia uses chips that fail to become 980's to make their 970's. This is done by disabling certain modules, though this time around, Maxwell allowed them to disable a small portion of a module instead of a full module.

This gave nVidia the possibility to give the GTX 970 4GB of VRAM so that they could have 3.5GB of usable VRAM. Because of the partially disabled module, the speed of the last .5GB of the VRAM would be significantly reduced. If they did not do this, the GTX 970 would be a 3GB VRAM card.

They failed to communicate the consumers and tech experts that the last .5GB of the VRAM would be practically useless. Users of GTX 970 started noticing issues with GTX 970 when using the last .5GB of VRAM, and someone wrote a test which proved that the last .5GB of VRAM had significantly reduced bandwidth. nVidia only started to pay attention to the issue and make it clear to the public when the noise was too loud to ignore. This is the biggest issue for a lot of the consumers, not the lack of VRAM on the card itself but how nVidia was quiet about it all along.

The "card has 3.5GB of VRAM" is a hardware issue, and you can't patch it out.

TLDR; All nVidia GTX 970's work as designed, but not as initially advertised. Still a great card.

The last .5gb can pretty much be ignored.

If they would ignore it in the drivers then the problems would actually be fixed. But it's there and it is the source of the card's issues. It would literally do better WITHOUT that last thing. So no, don't ignore it. Understand that it is there and understand that it will cause problems for some people in some games using certain setups.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

If they would ignore it in the drivers then the problems would actually be fixed. But it's there and it is the source of the card's issues. It would literally do better WITHOUT that last thing. So no, don't ignore it. Understand that it is there and understand that it will cause problems for some people in some games using certain setups.

No it wouldn't be... It is still faster than putting it to system memory. 

i have a crazy amount of mods,16x aa

I have roughly 90 mods (~80 or so are graphical), AA - 8x (max), AF - 16x (max) and get 60FPS in pretty much all locations. (Except whiterun because of a mod that I've got that adds a shitton of plants, trees, etc... to it)