Intel Launches 750 series NVMe SSDs 2.5" and HHL PCI-e

werto165

Unless you're doing something crazy like Uncompressed video editing or 4K video editing, I don't think it is worth it, especially due to the price. Currently using 2 x 1TB 840 Evo SSDs, that I picked up during Black Friday deals for around $700, and I run it in RAID 0. Couldn't be happier, and I don't need more. I used to do a lot of video editing and doing work with a lot of uncompressed HD videos, and I could get away with 4x 15k SAS drives that pushed roughly 400-500mb/s sequentially. Nowadays a single SSD can do 550Mb/s, so putting them in RAID puts you at an advantage. Though keep in mind that putting SSDs in a RAID 0 configuration also has it's disadvantages, as some controllers will disable their features in RAID. If you want all those features, and an all in one package through PCIe, and need the cutting edge performance, then I would consider the Intel 750 NVMe SSD.

I am surprised how many LTT folks think this is unnecessary or a waste of money.  One 750 series drive is faster than 4 regular SSDs in RAID 0.  think about that, its crazy. Even latency is dramatically better.  Yes, the drive is expensive, but it's cheaper than even a dual RAID 0 solution.  Especially when you factor in the flush-in-flight power loss protection (intel 730 series are the only other consumer SSDs that have this feature), and other reliability features, this really is a great deal.

I will definitely be buying one (if I can find one).

Plus with 3D nand slowly creeping into the market, 2015 is sure to be an exciting year for SSDs!

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

I am surprised how many LTT folks think this is unnecessary or a waste of money.  One 750 series drive is faster than 4 regular SSDs in RAID 0.  think about that, its crazy. Even latency is dramatically better.  Yes, the drive is expensive, but it's cheaper than even a dual RAID 0 solution.  Especially when you factor in the flush-in-flight power loss protection (intel 730 series are the only other consumer SSDs that have this feature), and other reliability features, this really is a great deal.

Plus with 3D nand slowly creeping into the market, 2015 is sure to be an exciting year for SSDs!

Really? Is it surprising to find out that so few of us are 4k video editors that must handle multiple feeds simultaneously without delay? Most of us come here to talk games, tech and make lame jokes.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Really? Is it surprising to find out that so few of us are 4k video editors that must handle multiple feeds simultaneously without delay? Most of us come here to talk games, tech and make lame jokes.

4k video editors will get the most benefit, but that's not to say everybody else won't also notice a benefit.  The price isn't that much more than say 850 Pro or 730 series.  I personally think it is well worth it for the average enthusiast.  

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

I want one so bad, but there's so little support...

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

I want one so bad, but there's so little support...

True and Asus kinda messed up on their Rampage V Extreme when it comes to NVME SSDs, the 4th slot is unusable so 16x,8x,8x, NA, They should have done it using quad 8x 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

True and Asus kinda messed up on their Rampage V Extreme when it comes to NVME SSDs, the 4th slot is unusable so 16x,8x,8x, NA, They should have done it using quad 8x 

wow that's dumb.  what is the point of the 4th slot?  is it pcie 2.0?

Also, has anyone looked at availability in your country?  I spoke to a Canadian retailer who said they won't have any for at least 4 to 6 weeks.

PC Build

Desk Build

This is more than 2x as expensive as the Samsung 850 pro per GB. I can in fact throw 2 1TB or almost 4 512GB drives into RAID 0 for the same cost and come out with more storage space and nearly equivalent speeds.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

wow that's dumb.  what is the point of the 4th slot?  is it pcie 2.0?

Also, has anyone looked at availability in your country?  I spoke to a Canadian retailer who said they won't have any for at least 4 to 6 weeks.

its not available here in the UK yet, and the 4th slot is a PCI 3.0 X8 slot from the CPU

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

This is more than 2x as expensive as the Samsung 850 pro per GB. I can in fact throw 2 1TB or almost 4 512GB drives into RAID 0 for the same cost and come out with more storage space and nearly equivalent speeds.

Alright, I agree that it is quite a bit more than a single 730 or 850 PRO.  BUT, pricing varies a great deal depending where you live.  In Canada, I'd be getting the 400GB version, so to compare:

Intel 730 480GB = $380 = $0.79/GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB = $420 = $0.82/GB

Intel 750 400GB = $500 = $1.25/GB

So yes, it's quite a bit more expensive, but still a lot cheaper than running 2 drives in RAID 0, while getting more performance than is probably even possible in RAID 0, no matter how many drives you connect.

PC Build

Desk Build

Alright, I agree that it is quite a bit more than a single 730 or 850 PRO.  BUT, pricing varies a great deal depending where you live.  In Canada, I'd be getting the 400GB version, so to compare:

Intel 730 480GB = $380 = $0.79/GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB = $420 = $0.82/GB

Intel 750 400GB = $500 = $1.25/GB

So yes, it's quite a bit more expensive, but still a lot cheaper than running 2 drives in RAID 0, while getting more performance than is probably even possible in RAID 0, no matter how many drives you connect.

And in the U.S. you can get double that storage space at nearly the same throughput (unless you're doing raw 4K video editing). I'm just saying this really doesn't deserve to be called "consumer." Drop the price about $150 in Canada and 40% in the U.S..

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Why would know one want a 3.5" SSD, if they could make them bigger and cheaper? From my current understanding, there seems to be no reason why they couldn't just make them bigger, as they are using 3D flash now anyway. So if they had more space to play with they could use flash manufactured at a bigger process tat would be more cost effective and fit more in. The only reason that I can think of to not use 3.5" form factor would be factories/machine would need to be changed to manufacture them at that size and that they didn't want to split there markets up into 2.5" and 3.5". But seen as they already produce HDD in both sizes I don't know if my second point would be relevant. But as I do not work in this industry I couldn't really quantify any of these.

Well it's not that nobody would want bigger SSDs, it's that there's no reason.

If you've ever seen the inside of an SSD it's all very tiny, just a few chips on an inch long PCB

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

And in the U.S. you can get double that storage space at nearly the same throughput (unless you're doing raw 4K video editing). I'm just saying this really doesn't deserve to be called "consumer." Drop the price about $150 in Canada and 40% in the U.S..

yeah, I mean its pretty high end for "consumer", perhaps in a category like the Titan X.  It's not really a workstation card, though it could possibly fill that role, and its too expensive for most consumers.  I think Intel knows they won't sell that many 750 series cards, just because of the price.  I still think its awesome, and am planning to pick one up, not because I need the performance, but because sometimes its just fun to have the latest computer tech.

PC Build

Desk Build

yeah, I mean its pretty high end for "consumer", perhaps in a category like the Titan X.  It's not really a workstation card, though it could possibly fill that role, and its too expensive for most consumers.  I think Intel knows they won't sell that many 750 series cards, just because of the price.  I still think its awesome, and am planning to pick one up, not because I need the performance, but because sometimes its just fun to have the latest computer tech.

Yeah, prosumer is far more an appropriate category, especially until NVMe comes to more than WS boards.

Well it's not that nobody would want bigger SSDs, it's that there's no reason.

If you've ever seen the inside of an SSD it's all very tiny, just a few chips on an inch long PCB

Really? Oh I assumed they would be bigger than that. So they are purely made with a case that sizes so they can fit universally then?

Really? Oh I assumed they would be bigger than that. So they are purely made with a case that sizes so they can fit universally then?

Yea pretty much

FplWO4Rcl85fOF-2b4DATM0w-3d-3d_BigProduc

That's a 1 TB SSD. They're a bit bigger in 2.5" ssds (that's Msata) but only because there's no reason to make it that small

Yea pretty much

FplWO4Rcl85fOF-2b4DATM0w-3d-3d_BigProduc

That's a 1 TB SSD. They're a bit bigger in 2.5" ssds (that's Msata) but only because there's no reason to make it that small

Well you learn something new everyday.

I was wondering, why is the 750 series SSD so much bigger?  the thing has tons of memory modules on it, while these other m.2 drives have only one or two?

PC Build

Desk Build

Why would know one want a 3.5" SSD, if they could make them bigger and cheaper? From my current understanding, there seems to be no reason why they couldn't just make them bigger, as they are using 3D flash now anyway. So if they had more space to play with they could use flash manufactured at a bigger process tat would be more cost effective and fit more in. The only reason that I can think of to not use 3.5" form factor would be factories/machine would need to be changed to manufacture them at that size and that they didn't want to split there markets up into 2.5" and 3.5". But seen as they already produce HDD in both sizes I don't know if my second point would be relevant. But as I do not work in this industry I couldn't really quantify any of these.

Because it would be utterly pointless. F

The current 2.5inch SSDs are half empty anyway. It's just a hollow metal casing. Or plastic.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit