Drawbacks OEM windows?

Hey,

When I'm building a new pc, I need windows... I can buy it here (netherlands) for 120 euro's or buy it for 27 euro's on kinguin.net, however this is an OEM version. Are there any drawbacks of this version of windows, except for the fact that there are no useless instructions?

can't use more than 16GB of ram, no media tools, it's like windows basic-N

i'd get a pro or ultimate version.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

Yes it locks to your motherboard so you can't use it on any other PC or use it with a new motherboard.

i don't think this is true, but i know how win8 works with laptops now and it makes me suspicious....

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

OEM can only be activated on 1 pc. 

CPU I7 - 4720HQ RAM 2 x 8GB • GPU Nvidia GTX 850M Storage 250GB 850 EVO - 1TB Seagate Hybrid
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire Rapid-I (MX brown) & Pok3r (MX clear) • Mouse Logitech G502 • Sound Audio-Technica ATH-M50X • OS Windows 10 Pro - Linux Arch 
Storage Asustor AS7004T

Hey,

When I'm building a new pc, I need windows... I can buy it here (netherlands) for 120 euro's or buy it for 27 euro's on kinguin.net, however this is an OEM version. Are there any drawbacks of this version of windows, except for the fact that there are no useless instructions?

follow your topic...

also, please don't go OEM. read above.

srysly?

i don't think this is true, but i know how win8 works with laptops now and it makes me suspicious....

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/how-exactly-does-windows-7-retail-vs-oem/fae7b2ab-c530-45e6-aeb3-cc55cf7b9231

Edit: also the ram limit is 4gb on x86 and 128gb on x64 non pro with pro being 4gb on x84 and 512gb on x64

follow your topic...

also, please don't go OEM. read above.

I'd rather save the money myself and go for the OEM, even when it's just $20 difference, but especially here when it's 93 euro difference. How often do you change a motherboard? More often than a new Windows is released? I guess you could say you're boned if your board dies, but in 20 years I have had that happen once, and that was a month after UPS damaged my system shipping it.

A OEM version is the same as a normal and i can not tell if the key is locked to my motherboard, but the real question is how often do you change your motherboard? 

Hey,

OEM license is designed for system builders. The idea is that you save money in order to increase profit or reduce price of the system that you are building to the consumer. In this case, yourself. Therefor, OEM version as per license agreement is tied to your motherboard. There is however a special clause that states that if your motherboard breaks, and you can't find or get a replacement for it, and you have to change motherboard (which in turn you need to change the CPU, and possibly other components), only under this condition you can activate it (phone activation required), when you'll change it. But it still has to be for the same system.

OEM license of Windows is also non-transferable. You can't resale it or give it away by itself. It needs to be with the system.

You also have no technical support from Microsoft, if you need it (which I doubt many here uses it, but it is still a difference).

Retail license you are free. You have support, you can transfer it/resale it, and you can transfer it from system to system. As long as it is installed on one system, it is all good.

Many here picks OEM, as by the time they upgrade, they'll be a new version of Windows.

I've installed my copy of OEM Windows 7 and 8.1 on multiple builds (not simultaneously, I mean when I swap out hardware or transfer to another build entirely). Most that's happened is you have to go through the automated Microsoft phone activation, which is no big deal at all.

It's worked every time. 

Also, no tech support from Microsoft, but if you're building a machine for yourself, chances are you can figure out what is going wrong if anything does go wrong.

CPU  5820k - 4.0GHz @ 1.27V  |  MOBO X99-Pro  |  RAM 16GB Ballistic @ 2133MHz  |  PSU HX750i 

COOLING  Kraken X61 - 6x NF-A14 iPPC  |  DRIVES  256GB 950 Pro - 2x 1TB Travelstar - 1x 1TB WD Black

GPU  EVGA GTX980 SC |  CASE  R5  |  OS  Win 8.1 Pro  |  MISC   Cablemod C-Series White Set

can't use more than 16GB of ram, no media tools, it's like windows basic-N

i'd get a pro or ultimate version.

Wait, what? No, those are not OEM restrictions! Where did you get this info from?

@LEGOSTEEN11 read the post by @GoodBytes.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Actually I've used my Vista OEM key on 3 different motherboards, one of which even was a laptop. 

My current Win7 key is on its 3rd motherboard too (early Gigabyte P67 RMA-ed due to the Sandybridge SATA bug, then later swapped out the replacement Gigabyte P67 B3 with my current MSI Z77A).

When I do too many changes (motherboard swap, but also changes to the HDD configuration), the activation will fail.  A call to the automated phone system has sorted it out time and time again though.

All in all the retail version is more convenient and you get tech support. 

Actually I've used my Vista OEM key on 3 different motherboards, one of which even was a laptop. 

My current Win7 key is on its 3rd motherboard too (early Gigabyte P67 RMA-ed due to the Sandybridge SATA bug, then later swapped out the replacement Gigabyte P67 B3 with my current MSI Z77A).

When I do too many changes (motherboard swap, but also changes to the HDD configuration), the activation will fail.  A call to the automated phone system has sorted it out time and time again though.

Doesn't mean you CAN and not caught that it is legal. You just turned all your licenses of Windows to non legit, unless the motherboard was previously broken.

Doesn't mean you CAN and not caught that it is legal. You just turned all your licenses of Windows to non legit, unless the motherboard was previously broken.

Indeed.  On my Win7 it's a grey area.  The first swap was due to a faulty motherboard (the C:\ drive kept disconnecting from Windows Explorer), the second one was a motherboard upgrade due to a pair of broken USB ports.  Both boards were technically still working, although they had problems (quite major ones in the first case).

The Vista swap to a laptop on the other hand ... :ph34r:

but that was a loooong time ago and I only used that number because I couldn't read the one on the laptop itself anymore.  Wasn't going to sell it with Linux on it.

Yes it locks to your motherboard so you can't use it on any other PC or use it with a new motherboard.

Not truw, ive used OEM windows on multiple mobos

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Indeed.  On my Win7 it's a grey area.  The first swap was due to a faulty motherboard (the C:\ drive kept disconnecting from Windows Explorer), the second one was a motherboard upgrade due to a pair of broken USB ports.  Both boards were technically still working, although they had problems (quite major ones in the first case).

Those are considered broken motherboards.

Not truw, ive used OEM windows on multiple mobos

No you can't. This goes against the Windows OEM license agreement which you agreed upon. Doesn't mean it works for you, that you should mention it and get people licenses voided. What you have done (assuming your previous mobos were not broken), turned your license no longer legit

No you can't. This goes against the Windows OEM license agreement which you agreed upon. Doesn't mean it works for you, that you should mention it and get people licenses voided. What you have done (assuming your previous mobos were not broken), turned your license no longer legit

Well against the license or not it still worked without having to do anything other then activating it. Simple fact of the matter.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Well against the license or not it still worked without having to do anything other then activating it. Simple fact of the matter.

That's nice. But what is your point of your post? Is it to promote illegal activity, 'cause if that is the case, that is against the forum CoC.

Show me once where i promoted/encouraged it. i was stating a fact and nothing more. I see a thousand and one people say they've torrented this that and the other thing and told others to do the same, id say thats a hell of alot worse then me correcting an incorrent statement.

:rolleyes:

System Specs

According to MS, you wouldn't be able to transfer the license to another computer.  In reality, I've transferred OEM licenses with little more trouble than calling the activation hotline.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

Show me once where i promoted/encouraged it. i was stating a fact and nothing more. I see a thousand and one people say they've torrented this that and the other thing and told others to do the same, id say thats a hell of alot worse then me correcting an incorrent statement.

Imagine I'm contemplating using single OEM license on multiple motherboards, but I have my doubts because I've never done it. Suddenly I came across some forum and "Hey.. that Nexxus guy says he did it before!". Regardless of whether the person is right or wrong, that statement is very encouraging to me.

While I would say it's not like you're openly suggesting people to break the law, you're encouraging it.

I personally like to twist the license agreement around to convince myself something is legal, but there are stuff that can't be changed.