ultra wide or dual monitors?

lukky211111
Go to solution Solved by SeanBond,

what monitor do you use? and do you recomend it?

Lg25um64-s is what I currently have. I had the lg29um65 which has the same panel. Both amazing ips color and latency is quite low. I came from a 1ms grey to grey asus gaming monitor and the latency is very very low, only noticeable if I push my eyes up to the monitor and do rapid latency test movements. I don't believe it effects my gaming in any way negative, in fact I would say it benifits me to see so much more than everyone on 16:9 displays. I can see people off on the sides much easier giving me better ability in online games. It's not as hard to run as 2560x1440 but slightly more than it sounds because you actually see more than 21:9 because more objects are being rendered. And I recommend both of those monitors, the reason I downsized was mainly because of desk space and I didn't think $150 justified the 4 inches on the bigger brother for the 29" version. 

so im losing my mind over this. What would be better as far as gaming and such goes? does anyone own the lg ultrawide displays? have you come from dual displays or single displays if so why? have you gone from the ultra wde to dual monitors if so why?

askdjfasdf

so im losing my mind over this. What would be better as far as gaming and such goes? does anyone own the lg ultrawide displays? have you come from dual displays or single displays if so why? have you gone from the ultra wde to dual monitors if so why?

U U U U U U U U U U U U U U U U U U U ULTRAAAAAAA WIDE. There has never been a better experience for me personally since I got my ultra wide monitor. I never was someone interested in multiple monitors. Those bezels completely break immersion for me but a 21:9 envelops my personal human fov which is fantastic.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

U U U U U U U U U U U U U U U U U U U ULTRAAAAAAA WIDE. There has never been a better experience for me personally since I got my ultra wide monitor. I never was someone interested in multiple monitors. Those bezels completely break immersion for me but a 21:9 envelops my personal human fov which is fantastic.

askdjfasdf

Went from dual 16:10 to 21:9 ultrawide (dell u3415w). The ultrawide is great for many things but I still prefer using the 16:10s for many applications. For entertainment only though, ultrawide is awesome.

I use all three monitors now. Ultrawide requires too many compormises for my use case to be my only display.

Went from dual 16:10 to 21:9 ultrawide (dell u3415w). The ultrawide is great for many things but I still prefer using the 16:10s for many applications. For entertainment only though, ultrawide is awesome.

I use all three monitors now. Ultrawide requires too many compormises for my use case to be my only display.

ever had any issues with stutters or the like?

askdjfasdf

Lg25um64-s is what I currently have. I had the lg29um65 which has the same panel. Both amazing ips color and latency is quite low. I came from a 1ms grey to grey asus gaming monitor and the latency is very very low, only noticeable if I push my eyes up to the monitor and do rapid latency test movements. I don't believe it effects my gaming in any way negative, in fact I would say it benifits me to see so much more than everyone on 16:9 displays. I can see people off on the sides much easier giving me better ability in online games. It's not as hard to run as 2560x1440 but slightly more than it sounds because you actually see more than 21:9 because more objects are being rendered. And I recommend both of those monitors, the reason I downsized was mainly because of desk space and I didn't think $150 justified the 4 inches on the bigger brother for the 29" version. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

time for me to start saving up then! lg here i come!

askdjfasdf

Speaking of comprismises there are none on the gaming side, many will say games don't support the resolution natively, which can be true but there is this little app called flawless widescreen that just a few MB that will fix and give 21:9 support to 99% of games that don't automatically have it. Not to mention the current monitor I run has the pixel density of that of a 2560x1440 27" which is 109 ppi and my 25" 2560x1080 is 111ppi so it's very sharp and very often on sale for 200, opposed to 350 for most 1440p displays.  Or even more for triple 1080p. Not to mention the screen stretching on triple monitor gaming. In reality you get about 2 full images that are stretched over 3 screen, all the streching being done at the last 50% of the screens on both sides.

I haven't, but please clarify-- stuttering on the ultrawide itself during casual/work/gaming? Or spanning images/games across all three (which I haven't tried)?

I haven't, but please clarify-- stuttering on the ultrawide itself during casual/work/gaming? Or spanning images/games across all three (which I haven't tried)?

gaming

askdjfasdf

Speaking of comprismises there are none on the gaming side, many will say games don't support the resolution natively, which can be true but there is this little app called flawless widescreen that just a few MB that will fix and give 21:9 support to 99% of games that don't automatically have it. Not to mention the current monitor I run has the pixel density of that of a 2560x1440 27" which is 109 ppi and my 25" 2560x1080 is 111ppi so it's very sharp and very often on sale for 200, opposed to 350 for most 1440p displays.  Or even more for triple 1080p. Not to mention the screen stretching on triple monitor gaming. In reality you get about 2 full images that are stretched over 3 screen, all the streching being done at the last 50% of the screens on both sides.

Data point: Flawless widescreen doesn't work with mass effect 1, at least not on my computer. Bioshock infinite and tomb raider are incredible in 21:9 though.

gaming

A question for you, what kind of games do you play?

And don't get me wrong about the compatability thing. Some of the older games, like 6 years plus don't even have flawless widescreen support but can still be played in 1920x1080p with black bars. Just keep that in mind.

And don't get me wrong about the compatability thing. Some of the older games, like 6 years plus don't even have flawless widescreen support but can still be played in 1920x1080p with black bars. Just keep that in mind.

i wanna do like borderlands 2 borderlands dark souls skyrim stuff like that.

askdjfasdf

gaming

Nope. No stuttering with the HD 5870 I had, nor with the R9 290 I now have. Gaming though isn't my primary use of the computer, so I'm likely less sensitive to it than others here. Games ran well enough, or I could turn details down enough, to play with smooth framerates.

Data point: Flawless widescreen doesn't work with mass effect 1, at least not on my computer. Bioshock infinite and tomb raider are incredible in 21:9 though.

Hell yeah they are. There are a lot of games that are, for the most part though game before 2008 do tend to struggle with that kind of support, but beyond that the only games that I have personally played that don't have it are metal gear ground zeroes (21:9 support confirmed for mgs5) and I can't even remember the other game.

Yup, most 21:9 monitors will have an option to run the 16:9 ratio with black bars for older titles.

I just play them on the 16:10 monitor instead.

i wanna do like borderlands 2 borderlands dark souls skyrim stuff like that.

Dark souls 2 has flawless widescreen support but Modding might vac ban you. Skyrim also works fine, as well as the fallout games. Even got fallout 2 to work with it lol. I have a few youtube videos, most of them in normal 1080p because I try to keep the format but I refuse to do that for online gaming xD

Dark souls 2 has flawless widescreen support but Modding might vac ban you. Skyrim also works fine, as well as the fallout games. Even got fallout 2 to work with it lol. I have a few youtube videos, most of them in normal 1080p because I try to keep the format but I refuse to do that for online gaming xD

i think i misunderstood this in the video linus did about the 29 inch monitor and that you can use two devices on it at the same time?

askdjfasdf

i think i misunderstood this in the video linus did about the 29 inch monitor and that you can use two devices on it at the same time?

I don't really remember that part but I think there is a feature where you can have picture by picture? So two seperate screens basically but in one image. I haven't tried this and I only vaguely remember what it was about. I am not an expert on that. I actually just have my chrome open on half my screen at once, when I want to do something else I have so much room with files and folders I can just do it on the side without minimizing.

I don't really remember that part but I think there is a feature where you can have picture by picture? So two seperate screens basically but in one image. I haven't tried this and I only vaguely remember what it was about. I am not an expert on that. I actually just have my chrome open on half my screen at once, when I want to do something else I have so much room with files and folders I can just do it on the side without minimizing.

reason i ask is cuz i wanna have my ps4 on my desk as well and be able to use that at the same time.

askdjfasdf

reason i ask is cuz i wanna have my ps4 on my desk as well and be able to use that at the same time.

I only have my pc hooked up to it, unfortunately I don't have a console so even if I wanted I couldn't attempt a feature like that xD

Okay I just tinkered with it, you can do that even on the little brother panel I have. PiP is what it is and when you activate it in the menu you get to choose which sources make up each side and which audio channel is chosen and you can swap them side by side and choose aspect ratio? Anyway I can't actually use it but by turning it on it made my full screen get mushed into a small space lol.

Okay I just tinkered with it, you can do that even on the little brother panel I have. PiP is what it is and when you activate it in the menu you get to choose which sources make up each side and which audio channel is chosen and you can swap them side by side and choose aspect ratio? Anyway I can't actually use it but by turning it on it made my full screen get mushed into a small space lol.

hmmm thats interesting i may just get a regular ips panel for now then get an ultrawide for my pc and then use the ips for my ps4.(granted both are ips panels)

askdjfasdf

I bet the ps4 will either be forced into a wonky aspect ratio (5:4 ish) or run with huge black bars.

I could try to PiP my laptop with desktop, but my x360 is pre-hdmi so I can't check.

I bet the ps4 will either be forced into a wonky aspect ratio (5:4 ish) or run with huge black bars.

I could try to PiP my laptop with desktop, but my x360 is pre-hdmi so I can't check.

nah the idea is im gonna have to buy an asus 23 inch ips panel and when i upgrade ill use that for my ps4 monitor.

askdjfasdf