Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GTX 980 reference vs GTX 970 non-reference

Hi everyone,

I'm looking into upgrading my rig, and I'm torn between these two cards: Galax GTX 980 V2 (reference) and Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming

They both fit my budget and the price difference isn't much, I game in 1080p at the moment, but I'm looking into changing my monitor for a 1440p one. I would like to point out that I'm not looking into doing any OC or SLI in the future. Also, my current psu is a generic 550W, would you advise to replace that too?

Your opinion would be of great help. Thanks.

PSU is enough and for 1080p/1440p the 970 is more than enogugh :)

If you arent looking to sli the 980 would be better obviously. Especially at 1440p. Although i would reccomend saving up a bit more to get a non-ref version. The MSI Palit and zotac ones are usually pretty cheap and pretty good.

I forgot to mention those prices are in Australian dollars, so the 980 would be 504 USD and the 970 would be 411 USD.

I forgot to mention those prices are in Australian dollars, so the 980 would be 504 USD and the 970 would be 411 USD.

Funny how the difference is only 90USD...here a 970 costs 380€ and a 980 almost double - 736€

1440p - get a 980

staying at 1080p - get the 970

CPU i5-4690K(OC to 4.4Ghz) CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken x41 Motherboard MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Memory G.Skillz Ripjaws X 16gb 2133 Video Card MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X           Case NZXT H440 Power Supply XFX XTR 750W Modular Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250gb/Seagate Barracuda 2TB Monitor Acer XB270HU G-Sync http://pcpartpicker.com/b/3CkTwP

Funny how the difference is only 90USD...here a 970 costs 380€ and a 980 almost double - 736€

GTX 970-$565 in my area, almost $1000 for a GTX 980.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Man, I love the lightning fast responses on this forum! I think I'll go for the 980 now and switch to 1440p sometimes later.
Thanks everyone!

Man, I love the lightning fast responses on this forum! I think I'll go for the 980 now and switch to 1440p sometimes later.

Thanks everyone!

Surely, if the price difference is that small, go for the 980. As I said, here it is almost double the price, that is a lot and I am far better of with my two 970s in SLI :)