NYT: Apple Watch includes ‘Power Reserve’ mode, shows only the time but conserves battery life

Victorious Secret

applewatchbattery.jpg?w=1044&h=556

I had to find some original content to post about so I went back to my good old potential disaster/potential success in the Apple Watch, the thing that even for a Apple product that has been shown to consumers is remarkably unknown for what exactly it'll come to party with. 

What interests me in this piece is the battery life targets that Apple set. 19 hours of use in standby and interaction along with 2.5 hours of heavy use. This would put it in line with the current crop of smart watches, I believe. The lack of features will only benefit the Apple Watch for this go around. Given that they dropped HR (understandable, since HR tech is weak if it isn't a pulse ox and small versions of those aren't quite all there) but they also didn't include GPS, which is LAME for people who go running using this. 

Power Reserve mode sounds like the mode I personally might use the most, there are times of the day I turn off my notifications so a mode that does the same on the watch (but to a more drastic level to save power) isn't exactly something I'm against. Sometimes all I need for it to do is tell me the time and don't need notifications showing up at all. 

According to the report, users will be to enable a special low-power state that conserves battery life. In this mode, users will be able to see the time but cannot interact with the ‘smarter’ watch features like other apps. It is likely that other power-sapping features, like the constant connection to an iPhone for notifications, will also be disabled in this mode…

Apple has said the watch battery is estimated to last a full day, requiring a user to charge it at night, similar to a smartphone. The company also developed a yet-to-be-announced feature called Power Reserve, a mode that will run the watch on low energy but display only the time, according to one employee.

9to5Mac has previously reported that Apple was targeting to achieve approximately 19 hours of average usage time per day, combining in-app functions with standby time, as well as 2.5 hours of straight heavy app usage. According to many reports, improving battery life has been a key goal of development since the Watch’s initial debut in September. It is unclear exactly what battery life was finally attained, but Tim Cook has repeatedly said that the device will need to be charged every night, implying approximately one day of battery life.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/03/01/nyt-apple-watch-includes-power-reserve-mode-shows-only-the-time-but-conserves-battery-life/

Wow, it's almost does the same thing as a regular watch does.. :mellow:

I think that's the idea... 

Wow, it's almost does the same thing as a regular watch does.. :mellow:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

why is this news?

why are you posting?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

19 hours of functioning like a normal watch lol.

I really don't understand the iWatch. It seems to be a phone on your arm with even worse battery life and less functionality, and can't even really function as a watch.

It's a product no one needs and will sell on the back of being an Apple Product.

Give it a 3-4 (standby) or even 1-2 day battery life (with full functionality) and it'll be fine.

At least with my Pebble I could forget to charge it for a long weekend away and it'd last as a watch if I disconnected it from Bluetooth.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

19 hours of functioning like a normal watch lol.

I really don't understand the iWatch. It seems to be a phone on your arm with even worse battery life and less functionality, and can't even really function as a watch.

It's a product no one needs and will sell on the back of being an Apple Product.

Give it a 3-4 (standby) or even 1-2 day battery life (with full functionality) and it'll be fine.

At least with my Pebble I could forget to charge it for a long weekend away and it'd last as a watch if I disconnected it from Bluetooth.

It's rated at 19 hours of use and standby and Apple's battery life figures are usually spot on or slightly underestimated. So although it only gets you about half of what you want, it's still quite impressive considering that it's much "smarter" than any other smartwatch in terms of feature set.

So in this mode the Apple Watch will have the same functionality and looks as a 10 dollar watch which gets like 2 years worth of battery life? Great idea Apple... If you are willing to sacrifice functionality to get though a single day of watch use then why not just get a regular watch to begin with?

So although it only gets you about half of what you want, it's still quite impressive considering that it's much "smarter" than any other smartwatch in terms of feature set.

How is it smarter than other smartwatches out there?

Just like every new technology, smartwatches now suck ass. Only thing it needs is time...

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

I guess they made the battery like the Apple logo. That would explain the battery-life.
This thing is a waste of money in my eyes.

9 of 10 voices in my mind say I'm crazy. The tenth hums the melody of Tetris.

it seems like apple seriously overshot with this watch- I mean a hr sensor, good battery life, and advanced "smart" functionality? How'd they plan to make that without any compromises?

4790k @ 4.6 (1.25 adaptive) // 2x GTX 970 stock clocks/voltage // Dominator Platnium 4x4 16G //Maximus Formula VII // WD Black1TB + 128GB 850 PRO // RM1000 // NZXT H440 // Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 (MX Blue) // Corsair M95 + Steelseries QCK // Razer Adaro DJ // AOC I2757FH

it seems like apple seriously overshot with this watch- I mean a hr sensor, good battery life, and advanced "smart" functionality? How'd they plan to make that without any compromises?

They already dropped HR support. At first I was pissed cause even my FitBit Surge offers that, then I realized they aren't entirely out to lunch. The current tech behind the HR sensors on these bands is unreliable at best, if I'm being blunt. 

Read here for more: http://www.cnet.com/news/how-accurate-are-wristband-heart-rate-monitors/

Apple wants it, it sucks that it doesn't, but their probably working with a medical company on something that combines pulse ox and EKG elements to actually get a proper HR reading and not something that can vary so wildly. Given that this doesn't even have GPS for running, the "health" aspects of this Gen 1 device are not that serious. 

Compromises indeed. 

it does the same thing as my watch but it cant last 30 years between battery changes

I still think the Apple watch is just a ugly watch that nobody should use. I also think that the watch should be able to do a full day in battery life at least, What is the point of a 12 hour watch-face if it can't reach 12hrs, I'm really hoping that this is the first time in a long time that Apple fails miserably. 

But I have been wrong before.....

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

2.5hours of heavy use is so low :(

suppose I have no idea how I'll be using it (if I get one) so I don't know how much use I, personally, would give the watch.

knowing myself, I'd say for the first week it would be drained. constantly.. the first week is "what can this do for me?" week. so I pokes it a lot :P