gaming needing more than i5 and 8gb of ram?

hey guys i had a look at dying lights requirements and it seem to be getting harder for i5s is it not long for i7 to be the better option for aaa games and ram is at 8gb would it be wise to upgrade beyond that looking forward to hearing what you think as im new to the scence

specs for games are overrated.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

hey guys i had a look at dying lights requirements and it seem to be getting harder for i5s is it not long for i7 to be the better option for aaa games and ram is at 8gb would it be wise to upgrade beyond that looking forward to hearing what you think as im new to the scence

The current i5's handle games just fine. Going to an i7 is not adviseable unless you're rendering or steaming, too.

AS far as ram, 8GB is the least I'd get for gaming and 16GB is not necessary yet but will be a bit down the road.

TL;DR You'll be more than fine with an i5 and 8GB of ram.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

In a few years, i7s, 16 GB of RAM, and a high end card might become the recommended or required specs for games...

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

No an i7 is not necessary for gaming as they don't utilize the hyperthreading.

The recommended is a Haswell i5, but there isn't a point in getting an i7. A 4690k is completely capable to play on high setting.

System: Thinkpad T460

I personally think that an i5 and 8 gbs of ram is plenty. If anything I might get 16 gbs of ram (at least for myself) since I'm a tab and program hog, and can quite easily eat through 8 gbs even without having a game running.

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post

Ignore recommended specs.  Games have been telling us for 4 years that an i7 is recommended, when an i5 performs just as well when they are at the same frequency.  As far as RAM goes, 8GB is more than enough, 16GB for gaming is ridiculous.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

thanks for your time everyone im gonna stick with the i5 them specs kinda scared me im gonna stick with 16gb ram though to be safe for the future would anyone recommend going for the asus geforce gtx 980 instead of the 970 witch is 200 euro cheaper than the 980 

another thing is i can get the i7 for 300 and i5 is 230 also is it true the higher freq ram is starting to make a difference in gaming

Dude lowest i5 and a ~$200 will be fine in most situations.

Don't forget DEVs are lazy and don't bother to optimize anymore.

[ Cruel Angel ]:     Exterior  -   BENQ XL2420T   |   SteelSeries MLG Sensei   |   Corsair K70 RED   |   Corsair 900D  |                                                                                                    CPU:    -   4.7Ghz @ 1.425v             |

Interior    -   i7 4770k   |    Maximus VI Formula    |   Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB    |   ASUS GTX 980 Strix SLIx2  |  840 Pro 512Gb    |    WD Black 2TB  |           RAM:   -   2400Mhz OC @ 1.650v    |

Cooling   -   XSPC 120mm x7 Total Radiator Space   |   XSPC RayStorm    |    PrimoChill Tubing/Res  |                                                                                             GPU:   -   1000Mhz @ 1.158            |

I have never seen a game recommended hardware specs be an I7............

Dying Light

Minimum System Requirements

• OS: Windows 7 64-bit / Windows 8 64-bit / Windows 8.1 64-bit
  • Processor: Intel Core i5-2500 @3.3 GHz / AMD FX-8320 @3.5 GHz
  • Memory: 4 GB RAM DDR3
  • Hard Drive: 40 GB free space
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 / AMD Radeon HD 6870 (1GB VRAM)
  • DirectX: Version 11
  • Sound: DirectX compatible

Recommended System Requirements

• OS: Windows 7 64-bit / Windows 8 64-bit / Windows 8.1 64-bit
  • Processor: Intel Core i5-4670K @3.4 GHz / AMD FX-8350 @4.0 GHz
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM DDR3
  • Hard Drive: 40 GB free space
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 / AMD Radeon R9 290 (2GB VRAM)
  • DirectX: Version 11
  • Sound: DirectX compatible
You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

Dude lowest i5 and a ~$200 will be fine in most situations.

Don't forget DEVs are lazy and don't bother to optimize anymore.

whats devs ye im sticking with 4690k its just the specs kinda scared me ha just thought 70 euro extra for 4790k isnt bad do you think it would improve streaming films and sports

That's the same monitor I have,I really like it.

ye wont be upgrading till it die,s love benq 

i5 and 8gb ram is plenty for gaming, its more than enough for most games even then newest games. Dont get i7, save $100. spend more on GPU and you will have better gaming experience or spend the $100 for extra monitor. (you can upgrade into 16gb like me in future) and i5 should be able to handle streaming easily, just down scale to 720p. i7 is only needed if you plan to stream at 1080p with no downscale.

I have my i5 2500k with 8gb ram for a few years, and I then upgraded to 16gb, which gives 0 performance increase. (i upgraded just because I had enough money finally.)

Ryzen 9 5900x | x570 TUF Gaming Pro Wifi | 32gb GSkill 4x8gb @3000mhz CL15 | ASUS Strix RX480 8gb | XFX 750W psu | Cosair H100i GTX | Fractal Design R5

Drop ENTR Halo True | Logitech G900 Choas Spectrum | Blue-Yeti | AKG k553 Pro

My i5 with 8GB of RAM-works just fine with anything. My i5 with 16GB-why the hell not get RAM while its cheap.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I have never seen a game recommended hardware specs be an I7............

Believe me: Lots of them exist.

Evolve's recommended spec is an i7-920 (though current i5s beat it).

Grid 2 requires an unspecified i7

AC:Unity wants i7-3770 or better

The Evil Within says "i7 with four plus cores" (I'm serious I quoted that)

Watch Dogs wants i7-3770 at 3.5GHz

There's also been a few others that I recall seeing on websites like PCgamer, but I can't remember their names anymore.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Believe me: Lots of them exist.

Evolve's recommended spec is an i7-920 (though current i5s beat it).

Grid 2 requires an unspecified i7

AC:Unity wants i7-3770 or better

The Evil Within says "i7 with four plus cores" (I'm serious I quoted that)

Watch Dogs wants i7-3770 at 3.5GHz

There's also been a few others that I recall seeing on websites like PCgamer, but I can't remember their names anymore.

Hehehe, overclock a core i5 and tell them to go screw their high specs.

PMSL

Hehehe, overclock a core i5 and tell them to go screw their high specs.

I'm on a laptop bro. i5s are all dual cores here. But I keep my i7 overclocked 24/7, does that count? xD

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

I'm on a laptop bro. i5s are all dual cores here. But I keep my i7 overclocked 24/7, does that count? xD

Dunno, how old is your i7?

PMSL

Dunno, how old is your i7?

About a year and a half. It's a 1st-gen i7. I keep it about 3.8GHz. No sense going to 3.9; it's a lot more heat for no reason and I already lost the silicon lottery with this chip. At least until I replace the heatsinks for it.

About a year and a half. It's a 1st-gen i7. I keep it about 3.8GHz. No sense going to 3.9; it's a lot more heat for no reason and I already lost the silicon lottery with this chip. At least until I replace the heatsinks for it.

Well your good for a long time then.

PMSL