Nokia Lumia 830 (Windows Phone 8.1)

Hi guys,

I did one review on Lumia 830 recently. Would love some comments from people on how can I improve (e.g the way I present the review, editing, shooting). Hopefully I can get something constructive.

I know Windows Phone is not something popular here and I'm not reviewing the OS itself per say but more on the hardware and how it performs. I think if we want to talk about Windows Phone itself, Linus has covered pretty much all the bases already and while I'm fan on WP (else, Microsoft Devices Malaysia won't give me this review unit  :lol: ) but whatever cons mentioned by Linus in his video is pretty much spot on.

Gadgets: Lenovo Y580 (Nostromo, Naga Epic, Hydra, TrackIr5), Surface Pro 3 (i3), Lumia 930, PSVita

Rig: i7-4770K, 8GB Kingston HyperX, Asus Strix GTX970, MSI Z87-GD65, Asus Xonar DGX, CMStorm Scout II, CM Seidon 240M, BlackWidow Ultimate, Naga Epic, Goliathus Extended Control, TrackIr5, Sennheiser HD205, Audio-Technica ATR2500, Edifier speaker, Logitech G940, Logitech G27, Logitech F710, Dell S2340L, Philips 200VL, Samsung 830 128GB SSD, DXRacer FA01N

- Nice camera work for a starting up channel- seriously. nice Broll

- You could speak with more "punch" per say and a bit louder too

- Good scripting, sounds well structured and thought out, nice conclusion

- Make sure the background music doesn't overpower your voice and distract the viewer

- Solid layout

Overall, a very well done video for a start-up channel, keep it up and your subscriber base will definitely grow

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

- Make sure the background music doesn't overpower your voice and distract the viewer

- Solid layout

Overall, a very well done video for a start-up channel, keep it up and your subscriber base will definitely grow

I agree with the background music thing. As a non native english speaker I had to focus on your accent in order to understand you well enough and the too loud background music was distracting.

Overall nice video.

- Solid layout

I agree with the background music thing. As a non native english speaker I had to focus on your accent in order to understand you well enough and the too loud background music was distracting.

Overall nice video.

Thanks for the comment! Will take note on the background music volume in the future.  :)

Gadgets: Lenovo Y580 (Nostromo, Naga Epic, Hydra, TrackIr5), Surface Pro 3 (i3), Lumia 930, PSVita

Rig: i7-4770K, 8GB Kingston HyperX, Asus Strix GTX970, MSI Z87-GD65, Asus Xonar DGX, CMStorm Scout II, CM Seidon 240M, BlackWidow Ultimate, Naga Epic, Goliathus Extended Control, TrackIr5, Sennheiser HD205, Audio-Technica ATR2500, Edifier speaker, Logitech G940, Logitech G27, Logitech F710, Dell S2340L, Philips 200VL, Samsung 830 128GB SSD, DXRacer FA01N

Apa khabar my fellow msian.. :D 

what tripod did you use for the panning?need some oiling up imo..and maybe throw in more personal experiences with the phone for example battery life, call quality, camera quality and etc2 coz just this feels more like an overview.

But other than that,I think it's a nice video of an interesting phone. I still love my 925 to bits tho..waiting for the next flagship W10 phone to arrive before upgrading.

Put more 'Merica in it.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Great production values, but I think you need to try and slow down and speak a little clearer. There were times I could not understand what you were saying.

Apa khabar my fellow msian.. :D

what tripod did you use for the panning?need some oiling up imo..and maybe throw in more personal experiences with the phone for example battery life, call quality, camera quality and etc2 coz just this feels more like an overview.

But other than that,I think it's a nice video of an interesting phone. I still love my 925 to bits tho..waiting for the next flagship W10 phone to arrive before upgrading.

baik saja...  :D meeting another m'sian fellow in here sure is a pleasure...

I use Arkon's mobile phone tripod (yup, I shoot all the b-rolls with a mobile phone, Lumia 930), not the best I admit but that's what I have with me at the moment.

xdatasoft-international_arkon-mobile-gri

As for additional relevant content, I admit I missed that when I was writing the script. Most probably because I didn't do many calls and use the camera that much

But for those who are curious, I'll just mention it here. Call quality is good. On par with many smartphone I've used for the past few years. On my end, the sound is clear and I have no problem listening to the guy on the other end. As for the guy on the other end, I didn't received any complains so I assume it's good.

As for camera quality, I think it is good. Even in low light condition the noise isn't that obvious. I would dare to say that the camera is actually better than my own Nikon D3000 entry-level DSLR. Sample picture is in the spoiler.

WP_20150109_07_55_37_Pro_zpsc6956753.jpg

WP_20150109_14_36_30_Pro_zps9724ff75.jpg

WP_20150207_14_37_17_Pro_zps6ecacaa3.jpg

WP_20150113_20_45_33_Pro_zps42e18bd9.jpg

Put more 'Merica in it.

I'll try my best to put as much 'merica in it...

Great production values, but I think you need to try and slow down and speak a little clearer. There were times I could not understand what you were saying.

noted with thanks! will remember that in the future.  ^_^

As for camera quality, I think it is good. Even in low light condition the noise isn't that obvious. I would dare to say that the camera is actually better than my own Nikon D3000 entry-level DSLR. Sample picture is in the spoiler.

While subjective. This statement kinda worries me. :/ Its a too good to be true thing. Esp since you pointed out on noise perf. 

Just kinda feel if you;re gonna make such a bold claim, you should have a direct comparison to prove your point. Esp when such a statement/result is as contradictory as this.

While subjective. This statement kinda worries me. :/ Its a too good to be true thing. Esp since you pointed out on noise perf. 

Just kinda feel if you;re gonna make such a bold claim, you should have a direct comparison to prove your point. Esp when such a statement/result is as contradictory as this.

I am by no mean a photography expert, but what I meant with that claim is I always prefer pictures from Lumia 830 @ISO800 better compared to my Nikon D3000 @ISO800 that making Lumia830 is a better solution for low-light, high-sensitivity quick shot.

Obviously focal length is superior to digital zoom but comparing dark scene from sample below (I agree with you that I should have more direct comparison, but I think this should do) , Nikon D3000 has a lot more obvious grains.

830vsd3000_zpsq5ejhxrj.png

*zoom in the picture means 100% crop, derp me

while, arguably Lumia 830 does achieve this with post processing I still like the finish product. Anything below ISO400 is better with Nikon D3000, but anything above that has the potential to produce useless product if I'm not careful...