suggest me a good psu for the following config:

Amd phenom 2 x4 965 BE 

corsair h50

amd radeon hd 5770 crossfireX 2 way 

12 (2x2 + 8)GB gskill ripjaws ram with a gskill turbulence 2 cooler

fox 2 pci cooler  

msi 990fxa gd80 

• 3 weeks later...

i have a gaming rig, i7 3770k, msi r9 270x, 500gb and 160gb hdd's,4gigs of kingstone memory, msi z77a-g43 mobo and im just using thermaltake tr2-500w psu. i found 2 that is just in my budget but if there is any more addition to what i should get ur welcome to add thanks in advance

Thermaltake Smart SP-650M 80 Plus Bronze Power Supply 650watts Modular

or

Corsair Vs650 Power Supply 650watts

Guys a little help here 

suggest me a good psu for the following config:

Amd phenom 2 x4 965 BE 

corsair h50

amd radeon hd 5770 crossfireX 2 way 

12 (2x2 + 8)GB gskill ripjaws ram with a gskill turbulence 2 cooler

fox 2 pci cooler  

msi 990fxa gd80 

be quiet! System Power 7 300W or Seasonic G-Serie 360Watt

Depends on your budget.

i have a gaming rig, i7 3770k, msi r9 270x, 500gb and 160gb hdd's,4gigs of kingstone memory, msi z77a-g43 mobo and im just using thermaltake tr2-500w psu. i found 2 that is just in my budget but if there is any more addition to what i should get ur welcome to add thanks in advance

Thermaltake Smart SP-650M 80 Plus Bronze Power Supply 650watts Modular

or

Corsair Vs650 Power Supply 650watts

Why don't you keep using your thermaltake PSU? is more than sufficient.

System:
4670k@4,7Ghz <fully stable ( and 5Ghz, incredible unstable)| Asus Maximus VI Hero | G.Skill TridentX 16GB 2400Mhz C10 | AMD XFX R9 290 OC'ed (locked, Elpida) Cooled by a Kraken G10&X40 w/ NF-A14 | NZXT Phantom 530 | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Samsung EVO 250GB | Cooler Master V850 | QNIX QX2710 @110Hz | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 | Ducky Shine 3 ^^ | Madcatz R.A.T. 5 | Brainwavz Delta's |

when im playing games with the tt tr2-500w it makes a screeching noise so im assuming its not coping with the power requirements that i need so i already bought a antec earthwatt 650 plat psu and now my new issue is that that psu makes noise even not powered on. just plugging it to the power socket it makes a noise so what do you think should i do? rma?

I personally have a hugely overkill PSU, but I don't mind. It really is comforting that you have enough power. My system wouldn't pull more than 650W I reckon, but oh well :P

I believe in spending an amount of money on a PSU, never cheap out on it. It doesn't have to be 300W overkill like mine, but at least get a good quality one. I can back Seasonic. The quality of their units are incredible.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

Can somebody explain 80+ standards to me? If we have a 1000W 80+ Platinum 230V PSU at 100% load (according to the chart it's 91% efficient) the total output of it would be 910W? Or would it maintain a stable output of 1000W, but would draw around 1098W (1000W/0.91) from the power source?

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

Can somebody explain 80+ standards to me? If we have a 1000W 80+ Platinum 230V PSU at 100% load (according to the chart it's 91% efficient) the total output of it would be 910W? Or would it maintain a stable output of 1000W, but would draw around 1098W (1000W/0.91) from the power source?

The PSU would output 1000W and draw 1098W.

• 3 weeks later...

How much difference should the estimated wattage and actual PSU be? My estimated wattage is 793W and i was wondering if 850W would be no problem?

Either you're master race or you're not.

For people who are wondering about the actual makers of their PSU (brands such as corsair, nzxt, cooler master etc... don't make their own PSUs), here is a great resource:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supply-oem-manufacturer,2913.html

Here's an example below... This might give you an idea of what models from the brand you might want based on OEM reputation etc... Generally seasonic, super flower, and fsp are best regarded. 

YED9DXc.png

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Not to be a company shill, but you guys would be missing out if I didn't tell you about our V700. It's an 80plus gold and hits platinum rating..

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/category.php?category_by=1&category_id=1757&category_name=V

If you guys have any questions about it, feel free to ask away

Just to add, the V series are seasonics and theyre using a quieter fan than the san ace you usually see on seasonic units.

Noise comparison between san ace and that proteknik fan:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Corsair/AX860/6.html

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/CoolerMaster/V850/6.html

For people who are wondering about the actual makers of their PSU (brands such as corsair, nzxt, cooler master etc... don't make their own PSUs), here is a great resource:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supply-oem-manufacturer,2913.html

Here's an example below... This might give you an idea of what models from the brand you might want based on OEM reputation etc... Generally seasonic, super flower, and fsp are best regarded. 

Not to sound rude but that database is useless. Use this one instead -> http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page541.htm

Not to sound rude but that database is useless. Use this one instead -> http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page541.htm

Thanks. I didn't know about that website. It's definitely more well organized and informative than the tom's hardware one (now I have absolutely no reason to go to the crappy website that is Tom's hardware!)

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Thanks. I didn't know about that website. It's definitely more well organized and informative than the tom's hardware one (now I have absolutely no reason to go to the crappy website that is Tom's hardware!)

Agree Toms hardware is so garbage.. :P If the OP doesnt mind to add this in the OP it would be great.

Hi everyone , I just need to know should I need to buy a separate PSU from a reputable brand like corsair or seasonic (which costs more !) or just use the bundled PSU which has no name on it (it says that it's 500Watts) .My currunt build is an entry level gaming machine. I'm currently using the bundled PSU which came with my case (not a high quality one,a mid range case) . It's still working fine :) What is the difference between a bundled PSU and a separate PSU like Corsair or Seasonic that linus is using in his every build !

Hello,

I m thinking of upgrading my pc graphics preformance. Currently I own a Zotac GTX 770 4GB and I m thinking of expanding it in SLI with another Zotac GTX 770. My current PSU is 750W from corsair. My question is How powerful psu, or which psu do you recommend using in this particular setup?

p.s. My specs:

• CPU
    Intel Core i7-4771
  • Motherboard
    MSI Z87-GD65
  • RAM
    16GB Kingston HyperX Predator 2133Mhz
  • GPU
    Zotac GTX 770 4GB
  • Case
    NZXT Phantom 410
  • Storage
    System: SanDisk Ultra Plus 256GB ; Storage: WD Green 2TB
  • PSU
    Corsair CX750
  • Display(s)
    LG 24EA53 IPS
  • Cooling
    Case: 3 NZXT preinstalled fans ; CPU: Noctua NH-U12s+one more NF-F12 fan
p.p.s. I m from Slovenia so I may not have the access to all the psu-s that you guys have, so I d really love it if you would just tell me the recommended wattage, efficiency, etc.. 
For every if any responce I thank you all in advance :)

Specs: 

Spoiler

PC:CASE: FD Define r6 | CPU:Intel Core i7-8700k | MB: MSI z370 PC Pro RAM: 32GB Corsair vengance LPX 3000 GPU: Asus rx 6900xt Tuf STORAGE: nand 500GB Samsung 970Evo plus ; Game Storage: 2TB Samsung 860QVO Storage: 2 x WD Green 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | CPUCooler: Noctua NH-D15   DISPLAY: LG 27GL850

Hi everyone , I just need to know should I need to buy a separate PSU from a reputable brand like corsair or seasonic (which costs more !) or just use the bundled PSU which has no name on it (it says that it's 500Watts) .My currunt build is an entry level gaming machine. I'm currently using the bundled PSU which came with my case (not a high quality one,a mid range case) . It's still working fine :) What is the difference between a bundled PSU and a separate PSU like Corsair or Seasonic that linus is using in his every build !

There are a lot of way where you can save money easily when doing a build. The absolutely only place where I would never ever want anybody to try to save money would be the PSU. It is without a doubt the thing that breaks the most often alongside the motherboard. 

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

• 2 weeks later...

How much power will the specs below require, first time building I don't want to mess up. I'm not really going to be doing any hibernating, sleep mode & so on. Also is it worth paying the premium for a Corsair? I've also been looking at fully modular psu's are they worth the extra money, since I don't want ugly red/yellow/green cables in my computer. So would buying sleeved cables be worth it or not?

i7 4770k

CM Hyper 212 Evo

Asus Maximus Hero VI

ADATA XPG V1.0 2x8gb 1600mhz

EVGA GTX 780 Ti SuperClocked

Samsung 840 Pro 128gb

WD Black Series 1TB

W8.1 Pro 64Bit

How much power will the specs below require, first time building I don't want to mess up. I'm not really going to be doing any hibernating, sleep mode & so on. Also is it worth paying the premium for a Corsair? I've also been looking at fully modular psu's are they worth the extra money, since I don't want ugly red/yellow/green cables in my computer. So would buying sleeved cables be worth it or not?

I'd say you'll need 650-750W if you are going to overclock the CPU and not planning to add another GPU. If you have the money - go for Corsair AX760, it already comes with individually sleeved cables and it's fully modular. 

edited: I was wrong about the cables.

I'd say you'll need 650-750W if you are going to overclock the CPU and not planning to add another GPU. If you have the money - go for Corsair AX760, it already comes with individually sleeved cables and it's fully modular. 

The AX760 does not have individually sleeved cables. It comes with flat black cables, and you need to buy the the sleeved cables separately if you want them.

i7 4770k

CM Hyper 212 Evo

Asus Maximus Hero VI

ADATA XPG V1.0 2x8gb 1600mhz

EVGA GTX 780 Ti SuperClocked

Samsung 840 Pro 128gb

WD Black Series 1TB

W8.1 Pro 64Bit

A quality 550w PSU can power your system. Have any plans to SLI though? What's your budget? Where are you able to buy from?

They are certainly other options you can look at other than Corsair. Whether or not it will be worth it to go for a Corsair will be determine by the cost in comparison to it other competitors.

As for whether or not sleeved cables are worth it, that's subjective. Is worth spending up to $100 USD for aesthetics?

The AX760 does not have individually sleeved cables. 

My bad, it really doesn't. Still, you can either purchase cable set from Corsair or get any PSU you want and go with sleeved cable extenders from BitFenix or NZXT.

I totally forget about my post, well I asked someone a day or two ago they reccomended me the corsair RM650Watt. I'll be getting that, i'm also not going to be doing sli anytime soon. And my budget is 120 dollars but I've already found a psu.. so yeah. Sorry for wasting your time :(

Hi there everyone !

I am building a new pc and i wonder if my 3 year old PSU (That i bought thinking about future builds) is enough ! i believe it is, but i want to be sure.

PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro M700 - 700 watts 80 Plus.

New System:

Mobo - MSI Z87 G45 Gaming;

CPU - Intel Core I5 4670K;

CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Seidon 120XL;

GPU - MSI R9 280X Gaming (I know about the price fluctuations caused by the bitecoin and litecoin market, but where i live the prices instead of going up are actually droping);

RAM - 2 x 4 Gb DDR3 1600 Mhz G.Skill ripjaws CL9;

HDD - Western Digital Blue Caviar 1 TB SATA III

SSD - Samsung 840 Evo Ultraslim 250 Gb 2.5'' SATA III 

Case - Cooler Master K350; 

Thank you all for the replies !

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X with Nox Hummer H240 Aura AIO Liquid Cooler; MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F; GPU: XFX RX 6800 RAM: Viper Steel 16 Gb (2X8) 4400Mhz DDR4; Storage: Adata XPG 512 Gb M.2 NVME SSD + 1 Tb WD Blue HDD + 1 Lexar Tb SSD; Case: Phanteks P350X; PSU: Corsair RM750i 80+ Gold; Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q 1440p @170hz; Headset: Hyper X Cloud Stinger; K&M: CM Storm Quickfire TK & Logitech G502.

Hello guys want to know if this is a good PSU, I'm planning to build a rig thats not too expensive because the prices were too high in my country ?

Aerocool Templarius Imperator 750watts 80Plus Silver Modular

I'm planning to build a rig with the following specs:

• CPU: i7-4770k
  • Mobo: Maximus VI hero
  • Mem: 16gigs 2133Mhz ripjaws
  • CPU Cooling: Corsair h100i
  • GPU: two sapphire radeon r9 290 tri-x in crossfire (!two of them important!)
  • aproximately 8 fans (including the ones on the h100i)
  • An 480gig crucial m500 (because its cheap, only 200USD in my country)

I'm planning to overclock the crap out of this system. And I was looking into buying a Cooler master V series V850 (850watts gold). But is it enough or should I go with an V1000 (1000Watts Gold) because the 290's are quite power hungry. Or are there any other suggestions for a good psu? I don't care about the brand, but it HAS to be fully modulair (I want to singlesleve it without opening the psu itself). 

Thanks in advance!

Build log "Whiplash" : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/158477-the-hero/

Whiplash: 4790k@4,4Ghz|Maximus VII Hero|4x4Gb Red/Black HyperX fury 1866Mhz|R9 290 Tri-X|Modded 450D|Sleeved cables on a M12II evo 850W|M500 480Gb| BenQ XL2411T@144Hz

Laptop: 4700MQ|16Gb@1600Mhz|Quadro 1100M|1080P|128Gb SSD|500Gb 7200RPM hdd

the calculator recommends a 850w psu (844 to be exact). FX-8350(OC'd), R9 290x and a custom water cooling loop. sounds about right? just curious, because the power consumption on many products is exaggerated for safety and in real world it never reaches that? is this the case? or will a fully custom loop and OC'd high end products do this amount?

~its just for a future rig, my goal basically. i just have a RM550w as of now, no loop, air cooled, non oc 8350. but will soon be making money and want to make sure im not buying a psu for no reason... thanks guys:)

Thanks this helped so much. Tried asking over on overclock and only got yelled at. This tread is a really good representation of how awesome the LTT community is!!!

Intel 3930K @ 4,4ghz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | Corsair Dominator GT 16gb | EVGA GTX 680 Classified | Asus Xonar Xense | Corsair HX 1050 | Corsair H100i | Corsair Force 3 120gb | Western Digital 2tb Black |