Forbes: "Microsoft Is The New Google, Google Is The Old Microsoft"

Joe4evr

So this is mostly an opinion piece, but I thought it was an interesting read nonetheless. Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/02/18/microsoft-google-swap/

A year is a long time in technology, but the past 12 months has seen one of the most surprising and exciting shake-ups in recent history: Microsoft and Google have swapped places.

Google’s pillars of ads and search have become its Windows and Office. Both are being chipped away by more targeted advertising within social media and the compartmentalisation of an apps-based world. Your details and desires are on Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat and Instagram more than in your Google search requests and we increasingly go to specific apps (eg weather) rather than web searching for it.

The knock-on effect: Adsense is declining and Google’s search market share is currently at its lowest point in seven years. Like Microsoft had done with Windows and Office, Google understandably still tightly holds onto the duo as its primary revenue pillars but the future implies only further slow decline with no obvious escape route.

So what was the old Google? In short: a trojan horse. It waltzed into any sector it liked proclaiming open standards and offering great services for free and these moves were subsidised by its earnings from ads.

Chrome, Gmail, Google Docs, Google Maps, YouTube and Google Search formed a holy core which burrowed into Windows, Mac OS X, iOS and Windows Mobile converting users to the Google ecosystem. Google then pulls or reduces support when they are no longer seen as a threat (BlackBerry OS, Windows Phone and even Chrome’s battery killing and dismal scrolling performance on Windows).

Previously Microsoft, rich from Windows and Office revenue, got complacent and felt it could ignore and even control technological trends from its dominant market position. Web services and mobile slipped by and Google, more than any other, put Microsoft to the sword.

Now Google is rich from web services and mobile. It has got complacent and seemingly believes it can ignore and even control technological trends from its dominant market position. Google dreams up sci-fi breakthroughs while Apple and now Microsoft pull the rug from under its feet in the present.

My take:

I don't think this is to say that MS isn't without fault and Google isn't doing any good, but it's pretty funny to see that these two tech giants are now on opposite sides of where they were a year ago.

i think he overestimating the amount Google's rug has been pulled by others.

I wouldn't say Microsoft and Google have switched positions.

Microsoft just has a better Body to drive it's goals and is moving back to what they do best. 

Google however is still trying new things because thats how we see things. They aren't really set in where they are but in the position they're in they can do things like this.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I would simply point out that there are only so many ways a company stays viable and grows.  Google in many ways has simply succumb to one of them.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

hqdefault.jpg

Google really started digging with they youtube ad shizzle.  :P

who cares...

Google doesn't understand people, I've got a recorded TV documentary somewhere that shows just how out of touch Google is with reality.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Google really started digging with they youtube ad shizzle.  :P

I agree.

Google doesn't understand people, I've got a recorded TV documentary somewhere that shows just how out of touch Google is with reality.

They do understand but they just ignore the reality.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I agree.

They do understand but they just ignore the reality.

Trust me, there are some things that Google wants people to forget.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Well companies that dont listen to customers and innovate properly will end the Sony route,its always the same it doesnt matter how great a company is/was once if it doesnt keep innovating and being there for the customers needs not for their greed needs will eventually go down.Google's too big to have Sony's fate but if they keep closing their ecosystem's  and being unfriendly over youtube/G+/ads/android etc they will become small eventually.

And I assume Apple is doomed too?

I really don't like how this community is ignoring the fact that Google owns Youtube and needs a way to make money off it because they're mad about their gaming youtubers loosing the ability to sneak in ads without paying Google.

Those Youtubers are already making 55% of the ad revenue from preroll and banner ads. (Read: they make more money than Google off ads) If Youtubers need money, either slim down their operation (no offense to anyone, but does LMG really need 7 members?) or make do with what you have.

I fully support Google and their desicion, and I would do the same in their position.

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

This all started with Apple. The biggest question in this industry is: How do we beat Google?

And the simple answer is: Make them irrelevant.

That's the only reason why Siri exists, it's the only reason why it was created. Make something more convenient than going to Google and typing it in for search. The App store is just another branch in their efforts. Now everyone is doing it. Just look at MS and see them push and push Cortana on everything (trust me, you'll see it on everything). Google is not stupid. They see it too, that's why they have this whole "ecosystem" for you to get trapped in.

Google.com (the actual website) is becoming more and more irrelevant. The only Ace up Google's sleeve is YouTube. And that's a juggernaut. That's the main reason why they've been pushing to use our actual names on that site. So they can get more for each unique hit from adverts. I'm glad we are not forced to use our real names on that site, and I hope we never will.

And I assume Apple is doomed too?

I really don't like how this community is ignoring the fact that Google owns Youtube and needs a way to make money off it because they're mad about their gaming youtubers loosing the ability to sneak in ads without paying Google.

Those Youtubers are already making 55% of the ad revenue from preroll and banner ads. (Read: they make more money than Google off ads) If Youtubers need money, either slim down their operation (no offense to anyone, but does LMG really need 7 members?) or make do with what you have.

I fully support Google and their desicion, and I would do the same in their position.

I don't think you understand how much money Google makes just off of YouTube alone.

Ubisoft is the New EA , EA is the old Ubisoft

This!

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Google has been a bit of a dick lately, but we have to remember, Google is still a company whose main purpose is to make money.

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken