£50-100 headphones

Thorium19

So recently the cable for my California headphones Silverados managed to get broken, and as I can't be trusted with a solder (long story) and the company no longer exists to get a replacement, My mother has offered to buy a new pair of 'phones for the region of £50-100.

So far, I've found three choices, which are:

Audio technica ATH M50X http://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50X-Monitor-Professional-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR86/ref=sr_1_2?m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&s=electronics-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1424186196&sr=1-2

Sennheiser HD 518 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-Circumaural-Headphones-E-A-R-Technology/dp/B0042A68R8/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1408306348&sr=1-1&keywords=hd+518

and Pioneer SE-A1000 http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001381SLI/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

Now yes, I know that the sennheisers and pioneers are open backed, which would be my preference, but the audio technicas seem to get raving reviews largely. These will be used largely for music and watching videos, with a very small amount of gaming, so I'm not interested in hyperX clouds. However I am open to other suggestions, just nothing more than £100, and even that's pushing the budget.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

The pioneer looks very sexy. If you want to go safe, take the m50x

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

Personally i'd go for the sennhisers, also nice member title. Love me some latin. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

The pioneer looks very sexy. If you want to go safe, take the m50x

Personally i'd go for the sennhisers, also nice member title. Love me some latin. 

Either of you two know how the M50Xs and sennheisers fit with glasses? It's one of the issues I have with certain over ears. For example, my silverados were very comfortable when I didn't have glasses on, but with them on they were very uncomfortable. However my bose triports are incredibly comfortable with my glasses on.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Either of you two know how the M50Xs and sennheisers fit with glasses? It's one of the issues I have with certain over ears. For example, my silverados were very comfortable when I didn't have glasses on, but with them on they were very uncomfortable. However my bose triports are incredibly comfortable with my glasses on.

Nope, I don't have experience with that. :/

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

I haven't tried the 518's but from reading around they're pretty good with glasses. Can't say anything about the M50xs. 

Bose do tend to be very nice alright :)

I happen to have a pair of unopened new 518s I'd sell for £70 if your interested.

My Rig : Zotac 780 3GB, i5 4670k, H105, M1211 650W, 8GB 2133mhz vengence pro, Mini R2, 144Hz AOC Gsync Monitor

Accessories : K65, Naos 3200, Superlux 681, Chord CCU1

I haven't tried the 518's but from reading around they're pretty good with glasses. Can't say anything about the M50xs. 

Bose do tend to be very nice alright :)

I love the fit of my triports and would still have bought them if I had the opportunity again, but the headband hurts like mad after 30 minutes, the pads themselves are disintegrating :( and the audio quality isn't as good as similar headphones. I'd love to get a hold of some QC25s though, they really are the ultimate noise cancelling cans.

I happen to have a pair of unopened new 518s I'd sell for £70 if your interested.

That's good to know, but I'm going to wait for a few days before I buy any - My dad has decided to try and repair the cable, but I doubt he'll fix 'em, the wiring for the silverados is scewed up.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

I love the fit of my triports and would still have bought them if I had the opportunity again, but the headband hurts like mad after 30 minutes, the pads themselves are disintegrating :( and the audio quality isn't as good as similar headphones. I'd love to get a hold of some QC25s though, they really are the ultimate noise cancelling cans.

That's good to know, but I'm going to wait for a few days before I buy any - My dad has decided to try and repair the cable, but I doubt he'll fix 'em, the wiring for the silverados is scewed up.

Ouch, how long have you had them? 

Noise cancelling is awesome alright. I had a friend who had AE2s, they were great fun. haven't tried those yet :P 

Ouch, how long have you had them? 

Noise cancelling is awesome alright. I had a friend who had AE2s, they were great fun. haven't tried those yet :P

I've had the triports for at least 6 years, I saved up all my Christmas and birthday money for a year to buy them. They were my first quality headphones, so I still appreciate them and use them, but I really need some long term replacements. The QC25 demo in one of the bose stores near me is awesome. You put the headphones on, have a person talking about them to you, whilst a speaker above you blares the sound of a jet engine at full volume at you, then turns a fan on blowing air at high speed over you. They really do work. At least until the batteries die on them.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

HD 518, because the removable cable is a huge plus. If your head is on the larger side, SE-A1000 might be more comfortable but also runs the chance of needing some simple mods for proper fit. Both are great headphones, while the M50X is overhyped - M40X is more similar than different if someone convinces you to go with them.

Also, whatchya gonna do with the Silverados?

HD 518, because the removable cable is a huge plus. If your head is on the larger side, SE-A1000 might be more comfortable but also runs the chance of needing some simple mods for proper fit. Both are great headphones, while the M50X is overhyped - M40X is more similar than different if someone convinces you to go with them.

Also, whatchya gonna do with the Silverados?

I'll try to repair the cable, and if it doesn't work then I'll get hold of the HM5 cable and try to rewire that, which should be easier.

Also, thanks for the heads up on the pioneers, I'd like to avoid modding so I think I'll forget those, but it seems like the 518s are what I'll go for.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

I've had the triports for at least 6 years, I saved up all my Christmas and birthday money for a year to buy them. They were my first quality headphones, so I still appreciate them and use them, but I really need some long term replacements. The QC25 demo in one of the bose stores near me is awesome. You put the headphones on, have a person talking about them to you, whilst a speaker above you blares the sound of a jet engine at full volume at you, then turns a fan on blowing air at high speed over you. They really do work. At least until the batteries die on them.

Damn, well six years isn't too bad at all! Especially if they were daily drivers. Good fun going to their stores alright.  Great for plane trips i'd imagine :) 

Damn, well six years isn't too bad at all! Especially if they were daily drivers. Good fun going to their stores alright.  Great for plane trips i'd imagine :)

Yep, they would be. No more listening to screaming kids and new grandparents who only want to show you pictures of their grandchildren for the entire flight...  :mellow:

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

Yep, they would be. No more listening to screaming kids and new grandparents who only want to show you pictures of their grandchildren for the entire flight...  :mellow:

haha sounds liek you have some good stories to tell :P But yes, tis a gift, not having to put up with all that. 

It would probably be cheaper to just make your own cable out of a splitter to aux cords and some zip ties...unless your looking two move on, which is cool.

It would probably be cheaper to just make your own cable out of a splitter to aux cords and some zip ties...unless your looking two move on, which is cool.

I would make a new cable, but the silverado wiring is strange and isn't the same as any others out there. I'm looking to move on, but I will find a way to get the silverados working again as well.

On topic, I've found some Audio technica ATH-AD700s on ebay going cheap, are they work it over the Senn HD518s or not?

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

I would make a new cable, but the silverado wiring is strange and isn't the same as any others out there. I'm looking to move on, but I will find a way to get the silverados working again as well.

On topic, I've found some Audio technica ATH-AD700s on ebay going cheap, are they work it over the Senn HD518s or not?

The cable I made work, w/e tho. I personally prefer the 518, because it has a low end to mention.

The cable I made work, w/e tho. I personally prefer the 518, because it has a low end to mention.

I'm not the best with delicate wiring and such, so I'd rather avoid trying stuff now.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

I'm not the best with delicate wiring and such, so I'd rather avoid trying stuff now.

Im talking zip ties and splitters, shit worked on mine, was neat.

Also, thanks for the heads up on the pioneers, I'd like to avoid modding so I think I'll forget those

I can understand, but I will still point out that it's so easy it's hard to call a mod out of anything but technicality. Detailed info in the review linked in my signature for future readers.

Im talking zip ties and splitters, shit worked on mine, was neat.

Just your everyday 3.5mm splitter? Sweet, now I don't have to worry about mine breaking.