Where to put my radiator in Fractal Design Define R5

Heba1963
Go to solution Solved by Heba1963,

Yeah, hopefully they installed the H100i correctly. Here's a guide to how it should be done: http://www.corsair.com/en/blog/2013/february/how-to-install-the-hydro-series-h100i-cpu-cooler

In this video, at around 2:00 you can see how the roof is. It will still be covered off with the H100i installed in the top.

Hi Shaqo_Wyn

I just returned today from the shop with my Be Quiet Silent 800 case after they moved the hardware over to it.

I cant say it sounds amazing, because there are no sound "extreme bad joke".

There is only a low whisper when I dont have headphones on and with headphones and gaming I cant here the computer.

So many thx for giving me the advice with this case.

Best wishes

Henrik/Denmark

Hi guys

In November 2014 I bought a new computer.
Overall im very happy with the performance of it.

All the pro and cons im writing below is only my opinion and im not very clever in building or designing how to arrange the hardware inside a case.

So if someone has some surgestions, Ill be very happy.

The problem starts here:

It stands less than 50 cm from me at my computer table and its not possible to place it anywhere else

The cabinet is a Cooler Master CM Storm Enforcer and imo it makes too much noise.

Im wearing half open headphones when gaming and it still goes through.

The placement of my watercooler Corsair Hydro Series H100i is at the top. (btw: its always spinning at 2300 rpm (info from bios) and I cant change it, is that ok?)

To remove my noise problem Im considering buying the Fractal Design Define R5.

In the rewievs there are several place I can put it.

1; Top

pro: Blows air out of machine

con: Dust will fall into machine because of radiator doesnt cover the hole opening.

Noise by removing top insolated cover.

2: Front

Pro: Best airflow if all internal casing is removed (so Ive heard)(only got 1 hdd, 1 optical drive and 1 SSD.

Con: Noise because of radiator is close to me.

3: Buttom

Pro: "far away from my ears"

Dustfilter in fron of fans, so less dust in machine.

Con: May not have good airflow.

Im not prepared to buy new fans unless is absolutely important.

Hope you guys and girls can help me.

Best wishes

Henrik/Denmark

You are able to change the rpm of the fans on the H100i, note that you get rpm info from the pump and fans on the H100i so make sure you set it up correctly.

If it is indeed the fans that are constantly running at 2300 rpm, you should check your temps for indication of any problem that are causing temps that are too high like poor seating of the waterblock etc.

Option 1 is no go for the reasons you stated, option 2 has the much bigger downside of having the heat from the rad being blown over your GPU, option 3 might not work with PSU and AIO cable length but it's the best option if you keep the H100i.

To make full use of the R5's sound dampening capabilities you want a non-windowed version with a cooling setup allowing you to keep all the modu-vents closed.

Personally I'd get rid of the H100i and put a nice air cooler on there Dark Rock Pro 3, NH-D15 etc.

@Heba1963

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Thx Shaqo_Wyn for the quick reply.

I have a prg named Open Hardware Monitor and it tells me that the cpu has a max temp of 56 - 59 C.

When im in the bios I cant change the rpms on the cpu fan ... I can though change it on the other fan I have.

Im "sad" to read that none of the solutions is any good because im using watercooling.

The shop said that watercooling would be my best option because in the early summer to late autumn my computer room wil be very warm.

I have no possibilities to get "airflow" into room ... because of my angry dog will "eat" my wifes cats if they enter the room and "takes" the dogs toys.

So the door is closed and I can only open 1 set of windows, so I cant get any cirkulation.

So with no option on changing to aircooling, what option would be recommendable?

Best wishes

Henrik/Denmark

Hi fringie

I dont know.

I shop build it for me.

If my solution will be to get the Fractal R5 I will ask them to look into the rpm question at the same time.

Best wishes

Henrik/Denmark

Thx Shaqo_Wyn for the quick reply.

I have a prg named Open Hardware Monitor and it tells me that the cpu has a max temp of 56 - 59 C.

When im in the bios I cant change the rpms on the cpu fan ... I can though change it on the other fan I have.

Im "sad" to read that none of the solutions is any good because im using watercooling.

The shop said that watercooling would be my best option because in the early summer to late autumn my computer room wil be very warm.

I have no possibilities to get "airflow" into room ... because of my angry dog will "eat" my wifes cats if they enter the room and "takes" the dogs toys.

So the door is closed and I can only open 1 set of windows, so I cant get any cirkulation.

So with no option on changing to aircooling, what option would be recommendable?

Best wishes

Henrik/Denmark

How is the H100i installed? With the pump cable in the CPU_FAN header and the fan Y-splitter cable on CPU_OPT? The pump if connect in CPU_FAN, will do it's own thing based on the CPU temp. Your temps are acceptable, what CPU do you have?

The H100i isn't bad but since your main concern is noise, it limits your options. The store should have properly informed you that AIO's tend to have loud pumps and crappy stock fans that generate a lot of noise.

From what I can find the H100i won't make the bottom of the R5 due to cable mount.

My recommendation, if you can't go the route of non-widowed R5 + beefy air cooler is to check out the Be Quiet Silent Base 800. 

It has a high roof with vents at the back which should make noise when top mounting the H100i more acceptable as it will be directed away from you. 

The Silent Base 800 is the directcompetitor of the R5, it comes with full sound dampening like the R5 and very good stock fans included. In terms of build quality, features etc. they're very much the same.

I would go for the top and ramp your fans down, if your worried about dust get a demci filter they can even custom make one if need be

http://www.demcifilter.com/

max temp has head room so i would turn the fans down on the fan profile thus reducing the dust issue while also addressing the noise one.

Its all about those volumetric clouds

Hi Shaqo_Wyn

How the H100i is installed, i cant see.

I will though write your "question" down and asking the shop when bying the new case, to solve the problem:  

With the pump cable in the CPU_FAN header and the fan Y-splitter cable on CPU_OPT? 

I glad that my temps was ok, the cpu I got is a Intel Core i5 4690.

I will look hard into the Be Quiet Silent Base 800 because its not that more expensive (R5: 116,67 to Be Quiet 151,35 in dutch dollars) and if its like you are saying possible for back-mouting it will be perfect imo.

Best wishes

Henrik/Denmark

Hi ofr057

I will right away take a lok at that link, thx mate.

Best wishes

Henrik/Denmark

I would go for the top and ramp your fans down, if your worried about dust get a demci filter they can even custom make one if need be

http://www.demcifilter.com/

max temp has head room so i would turn the fans down on the fan profile thus reducing the dust issue while also addressing the noise one.

There are plenty of ways to get around the dust problem but fan filters won't help with the noise.

Hi Shaqo_Wyn

How the H100i is installed, i cant see.

I will though write your "question" down and asking the shop when bying the new case, to solve the problem:  

With the pump cable in the CPU_FAN header and the fan Y-splitter cable on CPU_OPT? 

I glad that my temps was ok, the cpu I got is a Intel Core i5 4690.

I will look hard into the Be Quiet Silent Base 800 because its not that more expensive (R5: 116,67 to Be Quiet 151,35 in dutch dollars) and if its like you are saying possible for back-mouting it will be perfect imo.

Best wishes

Henrik/Denmark

Yeah, hopefully they installed the H100i correctly. Here's a guide to how it should be done: http://www.corsair.com/en/blog/2013/february/how-to-install-the-hydro-series-h100i-cpu-cooler

In this video, at around 2:00 you can see how the roof is. It will still be covered off with the H100i installed in the top.

Hi Shaqo_Wyn

I misunderstood you about the back-mounting, but that video and the case seems like the right solution.

Thx for your quick and great replies.

Best wishes

Henrik/Denmark

Hi Shaqo_Wyn

I misunderstood you about the back-mounting, but that video and the case seems like the right solution.

Thx for your quick and great replies.

Best wishes

Henrik/Denmark

You're welcome. :)

Welcome to LTT btw. Don't forget to qoute when you reply and follow your topics to get notifications.

I don't know if anybody did mentioned this, but I don't think 2300RPM for fans is really good for any kind of watercooling. I would double check the wiring for the H100i, where the fan connector go and where the pump go. I have 100% confidence that your source of noise is 2300RPM. I would try to find a way to lower that down first before spending money on a new case, but if you already has the money set aside for a new case, I'd say why not...

I don't own H100i myself, I own CM Seidon 240M. Granted that CMStorm cases are actually loud (I guess that's why the name is CMStorm, loud as a storm) but I set my fans to run within 20% to 50% of speed based on temperature, which resulting nothing more than ~1000RPM. It's a lot more silent than my own GPU at times. and any speed higher than that actually has diminishing returns considering noise level is my investment and CPU temperature is my returns..

and isn't H100i has Corsair Link? have you tried that?

Gadgets: Lenovo Y580 (Nostromo, Naga Epic, Hydra, TrackIr5), Surface Pro 3 (i3), Lumia 930, PSVita

Rig: i7-4770K, 8GB Kingston HyperX, Asus Strix GTX970, MSI Z87-GD65, Asus Xonar DGX, CMStorm Scout II, CM Seidon 240M, BlackWidow Ultimate, Naga Epic, Goliathus Extended Control, TrackIr5, Sennheiser HD205, Audio-Technica ATR2500, Edifier speaker, Logitech G940, Logitech G27, Logitech F710, Dell S2340L, Philips 200VL, Samsung 830 128GB SSD, DXRacer FA01N

With that column of warm air rising out of the top I wouldn't worry too much about dust falling through any gaps between the radiator and the chassis.

Unless your computer space is inside a flour mill...

I don't own H100i myself, I own CM Seidon 240M. Granted that CMStorm cases are actually loud (I guess that's why the name is CMStorm, loud as a storm) but I set my fans to run within 20% to 50% of speed based on temperature, which resulting nothing more than ~1000RPM. It's a lot more silent than my own GPU at times. and any speed higher than that actually has diminishing returns considering noise level is my investment and CPU temperature is my returns..

Hi MRL

It sounds to me that the CM are a bit loud, but that said it is also placed under 50 cm from my ears.

If I could place it under the table it would be alot less noisy.

But when I bought it I didnt know it should be placed so close, because we redecorated the room and moved furnitures then also.

So know I need a silent case and first I thought that Fractal R5 could do it, but then Shaqo_Wyn introduced me to the Be Quiet 800.

That case seems to meet all my requirements and I also get 1 more fan.

Best wishes

Henrik/Denmark

Hi fringie

I dont know.

I shop build it for me.

If my solution will be to get the Fractal R5 I will ask them to look into the rpm question at the same time.

Best wishes

Henrik/Denmark

Well it'd be a good idea to find out. Worst case scenario they're pwm fans which means u don't need to use step down voltage adapters. Stepdown voltage adapters will reduce the speed regardless so you shouldn't have a problem if you do that. Re-mounting the fans will yield little results.

There are plenty of ways to get around the dust problem but fan filters won't help with the noise.

i know that and I didnt imply they would

Its all about those volumetric clouds

Hi MRL

It sounds to me that the CM are a bit loud, but that said it is also placed under 50 cm from my ears.

If I could place it under the table it would be alot less noisy.

But when I bought it I didnt know it should be placed so close, because we redecorated the room and moved furnitures then also.

So know I need a silent case and first I thought that Fractal R5 could do it, but then Shaqo_Wyn introduced me to the Be Quiet 800.

That case seems to meet all my requirements and I also get 1 more fan.

Best wishes

Henrik/Denmark

I have a pretty small room and my tower is sitting right beside me as well (it is well within arms reach). CMStorm cases are indeed loud, even with rubber shroud the fan vibrates and causing a lot of noise when running even with 60% speed. since there's diminishing returns when going over 50%, I set it to run max 50%.

Silent case surely helps, but I am skeptical it will help much if your fan is still running 2300RPM. Probably you will want to look into that first.

Gadgets: Lenovo Y580 (Nostromo, Naga Epic, Hydra, TrackIr5), Surface Pro 3 (i3), Lumia 930, PSVita

Rig: i7-4770K, 8GB Kingston HyperX, Asus Strix GTX970, MSI Z87-GD65, Asus Xonar DGX, CMStorm Scout II, CM Seidon 240M, BlackWidow Ultimate, Naga Epic, Goliathus Extended Control, TrackIr5, Sennheiser HD205, Audio-Technica ATR2500, Edifier speaker, Logitech G940, Logitech G27, Logitech F710, Dell S2340L, Philips 200VL, Samsung 830 128GB SSD, DXRacer FA01N

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Shaqo_Wyn

I just returned today from the shop with my Be Quiet Silent 800 case after they moved the hardware over to it.

There is only a low whisper when I dont have headphones on and with headphones and gaming I cant here the computer.

Best wishes

Henrik/Denmark

Hi Shaqo_Wyn

Best wishes

Henrik/Denmark

You're welcome! I'm glad you're happy with it. :D 

The joke was pretty funny btw :P

Enjoy your case and happy computing.