Speaker setup problem

Dantemoulin

Hey guys!

I am planning to trade my secondary monitor for 2 old speakers with a stereo with my friend.

What I am concerned about is that I want to buy a receiver soon and I want to make sure that I will be able to hook up those old speakers to that receiver without any problems.

My setup would be a little bit weird but here it goes.

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V773

Front Speakers: Friends old speakers

Rear Speakers: My current PC Speakers (Logitech Z-2300)

Surround Speakers: Old stereo speakers I currently use as rear speakers

I will hook up the receiver to both my computer and PS3 with optical cables and all my speakers except the PC speakers will be connected with regular wires (don't know the actual name for them), the PC speakers is a bit of a problem because I am not sure if you could convert the 3.5mm cable to RCA and connect that way or if I will have to ignore those.

Is this setup even possible or should I consider upgrading speakers too?

(In the near future I will upgrade my speakers to a pair of Cerwin Vega XLS-15's as front, XLS-6 as rear and surround and XLS-6C as center).

PC Specs: Case: Corsair 650D     MOBO: Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z     CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k     CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i     RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600MHz CL8    SSD: Corsair FGT120

HDD: Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB     GPU: Asus GTX580 Matrix Platinum     PSU: Corsair AX850

yes you can convert 3.5 mm into rca and the other way but i would not sugest that, i would just get other speakers and a sparate sub from the pre out :)
You must have misunderstood my question, I meant if you could convert the 3.5mm to RCA and connect to the receiver (then the question is where do you connect it?) or maybe convert to regular speaker wires if that is possible.

Maybe I should have formed my question a little bit better ^^

Thank you for the answer anyways! :D

PC Specs: Case: Corsair 650D     MOBO: Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z     CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k     CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i     RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600MHz CL8    SSD: Corsair FGT120

HDD: Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB     GPU: Asus GTX580 Matrix Platinum     PSU: Corsair AX850

No - plain and simple.

The receiver is putting out something like 160w per channel whereas the Logitech speakers want a line in which is purely signal based and then it has its own amplifier. If you feed an amplifier an amplified signal then you're most likely going to have a fireworks show when you turn it on.

However, if you were to modify the setup, remove the amplifier from the Logitechs and do a little rewiring with a couple of x-overs - then it would work.

It is possible to convert your 3.5mm to RCA, in fact there are many cables and adapters that do such a thing. (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=3.5mm%20to%20rca&sprefix=3.5mm%2Bt%2Caps&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3A3.5mm%20to%20rca) I use one of these wires to hook into my receiver, and I just plug it into AUX.

It is also possible to convert 3.5mm to regular speaker wire, but the sound will be almost inaudible because it is not amplified (If you are going to run straight from your computer to your speakers). I have to make a note here that my computer's output was not amplified, some computers might have amps built in, so it really depends on your hardware.

You should be able to use your Logitech speakers, you just have to connect them to the surround or surround-back preouts instead of the speaker-terminals. And yes, you can use a 3.5mm to RCA adapter.

to know the face of Dodge is to know madness

Take a look at what I’ve been watching…

You should be able to use your Logitech speakers, you just have to connect them to the surround or surround-back preouts instead of the speaker-terminals. And yes, you can use a 3.5mm to RCA adapter.
My mistake - I completely forgot the aditional outputs for non-powered.

@OP - Assuming the Logitechs have 3.5mm/ 1/8" MALE input (so they've got a cable that looks like normal headphones) - you'll need this

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-To-Go-03182-Y-Cable/dp/B0002GUBIS/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1359540808&sr=8-7&keywords=RCA+to+1%2F4+female+stereo+cable

Stereo RCA to 1/8" FEMALE / RCA to 3.5mm Female Y cable

yes you can convert 3.5 mm into rca and the other way but i would not sugest that, i would just get other speakers and a sparate sub from the pre out :)
Thanks for the respond, so I can just convert the 3.5mm to rca and connect it to pre out in the receiver? :)

No - plain and simple.

The receiver is putting out something like 160w per channel whereas the Logitech speakers want a line in which is purely signal based and then it has its own amplifier. If you feed an amplifier an amplified signal then you're most likely going to have a fireworks show when you turn it on.

However, if you were to modify the setup, remove the amplifier from the Logitechs and do a little rewiring with a couple of x-overs - then it would work.

Okay so to make it all simple I just ignore the logitech speakers and buy some other, right?

It is possible to convert your 3.5mm to RCA, in fact there are many cables and adapters that do such a thing. (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=3.5mm%20to%20rca&sprefix=3.5mm%2Bt%2Caps&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3A3.5mm%20to%20rca) I use one of these wires to hook into my receiver, and I just plug it into AUX.

It is also possible to convert 3.5mm to regular speaker wire, but the sound will be almost inaudible because it is not amplified (If you are going to run straight from your computer to your speakers). I have to make a note here that my computer's output was not amplified, some computers might have amps built in, so it really depends on your hardware.

So I should keep the stereo that goes with the speakers or will that make fireworks as there will be dual amplifiers like windspeed36 stated?

So what you are saying is that there is hope afterall? :D

I do have a cable like that already at home! :D

I'm not sure about actual fireworks, but as far as I'm aware the Logitech amp will just re-amp the audio. Now if the Logitech speakers can't support the wattage then yes bad stuff is going to happen. As windspeed36 said the Logitech speakers just want pure signal, as in nothing amped. Go with what Dodge said and use some no amped outputs and you should be fine, otherwise you are going to have to use one or the other, or use them independently.

Without looking at the output wiring sequence I can't tell you for sure but I would assume that cable would work.

Followup question!

If I was to use the logitech speakers, could I take the satellites and connect them separately and then connect the sub to the sub connector?

Followup question! If I was to use the logitech speakers' date=' could I take the satellites and connect them separately and then connect the sub to the sub connector?
It may be possible, but I don't know the system and it's probably not worth the effort.

to know the face of Dodge is to know madness

Take a look at what I’ve been watching…

Followup question! If I was to use the logitech speakers' date=' could I take the satellites and connect them separately and then connect the sub to the sub connector?
It may be possible, but I don't know the system and it's probably not worth the effort.Okay, thanks! :)

You could though it would be rather dangerous to their life expectancy.

Yeah okay :)

BTW, you are everywhere on this forum! :D

I know :P

• 1 month later...

Just a late comment on the Cerwin vegas. That AVR has waaaaaaaay to little ommpphh, to drive those speakers. (you'd need something like one preamp, and a separate power amp for each pair of speakers) And if you're going for a home theater setup, you'd be better off with something a bit more hifi. Don't get me wrong they're good spreakers, for keeping the neighbours awake when you have a party in the backyard, but the sound qulity is not that good for watching movies. =)

its easy to hook the speakers to the amp. the amps work with almost anything and still work so don't worry. also old speakers are typacilly low power so it won't blow you amp

• 2 weeks later...
Just a late comment on the Cerwin vegas. That AVR has waaaaaaaay to little ommpphh, to drive those speakers. (you'd need something like one preamp, and a separate power amp for each pair of speakers) And if you're going for a home theater setup, you'd be better off with something a bit more hifi. Don't get me wrong they're good spreakers, for keeping the neighbours awake when you have a party in the backyard, but the sound qulity is not that good for watching movies. =)
My neighbor has a pair of CW XLS-215's and they sound f*ckin' awesome!

I have heard that their quality is not as good as hifi speakers but then hifi speakers must be brutal.

No doubt they sound good, just pointing out that that you need a LOT of power to take advantage of all those speakers have to offer =)

• 1 month later...

If you're going from your pc through 3.5 to the reciever to your speakers, just split the connection with a 3.5 splitter from the back of the computer. This way you can keep your computer speakers and the other out can be split into rca cables and go to the receiver. The volume controls may be separate but you can still have both.

CPU i7 970 |  COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper N520 | Ram: 12GB DDR3 1333 GPU: GTX 560Ti | Mobo: EVGA Classified 3 | Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 | Boot Drive: 120GB OCZ Vertex | Games Drive: 2TB WD Green | OS: Windows 7 | Monitors: 40in Samsung LN40A650, 2x 24in Samsung T240HD

• 5 weeks later...

I would seriously just consider having the two "old" speakers hooked up as a 2 channel solution til you have enough penny's saved up for an upgrade and switch the speakers out so you can have a 4 channel setup or even a 5.1 setup if surround sound is what you are after.