My Laptop:

Dell XPS 13 (last gen haswell)

Windows 8.1 64bit

CPU: Intel Core i7 4650U

RAM: 8GB DDR3

GPU: Intel HD 5000

Storage: LITEONIT mSATA 256GB

I recently connected this laptop to a new external monitor,

the Benq GW2760HS, via mini displayport to VGA.

While playing a game, I noticed every minute or so, the 

image would freeze and the audio would buzz for half a second.

I didn't think it was such a big deal, but now my laptop does it all the time

whether its playing a game or watching youtube or watching a local video file.

It probably happens without media but I just don't notice.

I have rebooted, done a hardware diagnostic, 

and installed the latest video driver,

but the problem will not go away. 

I can't imagine how connecting a monitor could cause this

-seems impossible

Any ideas?

CPU Intel Core i3 4170, Motherboard MSI H97-G43M, RAM 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Kingston Hyper X Genesis, GPU Asus Radeon R9270X, Case Bitfenix Neos Window

Storage Corsair 60GB SSD and Segate Baracuda 1TB, PSU Silverstone 500W 80+ B, Display Benq GW2760HS, Cooling Stock CPU Cooler OS Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Have you tried it with the laptop's screen? Like, without the external monitor.

Also temps?

Also gpu usage while the freezes happen?

Uhm, i am not sure but what video driver did you install for an integrated graphics card? Didn't know you need one.

Rig: I5-3570K@4.3Ghz - Cooler Thermaltake Frio Advanced - Ram Kingston 1333Mhz 8gb (2x4) - GPU GTX 970 4GD5T OC - Motherboard Z77MA-G45 - PSU CoolerMaster GX II 750w - Storage WD 500gb HDD - Sound Edifier M3700 5.1 - Headset Corsair Vengeance 1500 - Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 - Keyboard Razer Anansi - Mousepad Steelseries QcK+ - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller x2

I only used it with the monitor for half an hour or so,

I am concerned because the problem is happening with the laptop by itself.

Temperature doesn't seem to be an issue. 

The freezing happens when it is running hot or is completely cool.

It just seems to be a regular occurrence.

There isn't a separate GPU usage graph

but the CPU usage in task manager peaks up to 23%

from 4% normal when the freeze happens

while watching a local video file.

By the way, I noticed that during the freeze, videos don't actually advance over that time,

as in the video pauses for the half second duration - none is lost.

(youtube or local)

It worked fine with whatever default driver it had,

but to try to fix the problem, I installed the Intel driver I got off the Dell website.

I don't know what advantage it has - apart from the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel.

Driver was 164MB

CPU Intel Core i3 4170, Motherboard MSI H97-G43M, RAM 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Kingston Hyper X Genesis, GPU Asus Radeon R9270X, Case Bitfenix Neos Window

Storage Corsair 60GB SSD and Segate Baracuda 1TB, PSU Silverstone 500W 80+ B, Display Benq GW2760HS, Cooling Stock CPU Cooler OS Windows 10 Pro 64bit

I started experiencing the same problem with a dell that has specs not too different from yours! what goes on here?!?

Has It just started recently? like last week? It could be some sort of update............

The problem started on the same day that these windows updates were installed:

Security Update for Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 8.1 for x64 based systems KB3034196
Security Update for Windows 8.1 for x64 based systems KB3023562
Update for Windows 8.1 for x64 based systems KB3020338
Update for Windows 8.1 for x64 based systems KB3019868
Security Update for Windows 8.1 for x64 based systems KB3004361
Security Update for Windows 8.1 for x64 based systems KB3029944
Security Update for Windows 8.1 for x64 based systems KB3031432
Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 8.1 for x64 based systems KB3021952
Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool for Windows 8, 8.1 and Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2 x64 Edition - February 2015 KB890830
Update for Windows 8.1 for x64 based systems KB2976978
Update for Windows 8.1 for x64 based systems KB3016074
Security Update for Windows 8.1 for x64 based systems KB3013455

Yes! I assumed it was an update but could not pinpoint which one as my computer automatically updates. Should I contact Microsoft or Dell in regards to this issue? 

I have contacted Dell. I assume there would be more carry on across the internet if the problem was more widespread.

I will post dell's response.

Also, if you ever experience a squeaky high pitch static noise in the audio signal,

rollback the Dell audio driver. 

I will also contact Dell with this issue and I have rolled back the driver, as a result the problem does not seem to be as frequent but it still persists :/

I had the same prob on my pc when i installed windows 8.1

I installed silverlight this fixed it, could maby help some of u guys

So installing Microsoft Silverlight fixed the regular freezes? 

Seems unintuitive, but I might try it

So installing Microsoft Silverlight fixed the regular freezes? 

Seems unintuitive, but I might try it

It did work for my pc but every pc has its own mind!! 

1. Installing Silverlight did nothing

2. Dell suggests I update the BIOS driver from A04 to A06

I figured out my problem, it was an android emulator which I had downloaded a few weeks ago that turned out to be the culprit behind the problem! Perhaps it was a program that you may have also downloaded that is causing your computer to buzz, too. Anyway, thanks for everyone's feedback and I hope you resolve your issue soon!

Oh my Golly Gosh

Is that Andy?

I have had Andy installed for a while!