New Eris E5 Active Speakers - sounds horrific - need help

Wiggly Jiggles
Go to solution Solved by t0wer,

my guess is, it's a balanced 1/4" connector, and your feeding a stereo signal to it.

theres 2 amplifier channels in each speaker, one for + one for -, not one for L and one for R.

go find a 1/8" > dual RCA adapter/cable and use only that

Hey Techies,

Not posted on here in a while, and this post is only because I think I'm missing something glaringly obvious....

I just got my Eris E5's delivered, amazing speakers for the price (active as well) - after ghetto plugging the 1/4" into the back of my PC:

1/4" to dual 3.5 - one of which going to a 3.5 to 3.5 male, then from that to a dual 3.5 female to 3.5 male

a different 1/4" to 3.5, going to a different 3.5 to 3.5 male, then to the other 3.5 female to 3.5 male

The sound is AWFUL! There is a teeny bit of high and lows, and just bass thereafter, not a personal preference issue, it's as if the sub is 99% and everything else is 1%. I though when buying active speakers, there was no need for an AMP? When I plugged the same rig into my phone, it wasn't GREAT, but it was far better (xperia z3)

I'm soon to be getting two rca to 3.5 adapters as well as 1/4" to 3.5 just to make the whole process less... ugly at the very least - but can someone tell me what the hell is going on, as these speakers aren't cheap... :/

Production Control, Fish Keeper, Lover of Audio

any echoes in the room? well not it will make a lot difference in nearfiled listening. But worth noting.

And in your story, the sound is awful from your PC but gets with your phone as source yet still not great? Yeah the speakers aren't cheap.

Hey quick question, what is your motherboard? I am looking for friend to say that motherboard Realtek are junk

any echoes in the room? well not it will make a lot difference in nearfiled listening. But worth noting.

And in your story, the sound is awful from your PC but gets with your phone as source yet still not great? Yeah the speakers aren't cheap.

I am willing to put money on that he budged the futton while wiring it, or they really want to eun through an audio interface.

Hey quick question, what is your motherboard? I am looking for friend to say that motherboard Realtek are junk

Asus Z87-Pro

There aren't any

Could you explain that a bit more, didn't quite understand the second line

Have you zeroed the eq on the back?

I have done indeed. The mid and high are at 0dB and the gain is really low (because deafening)

I am willing to put money on that he budged the futton while wiring it, or they really want to eun through an audio interface.

These are pretty much "plug and play" as it were - no custom wiring apart from all the janky splitters and converters I've used

Usually room treatment (placing diffusers in wall, things like that) doesn't make a lot difference if you just sit in nearfild listening distance like less than 1.5 metre from speaker.

These are pretty much "plug and play" as it were - no custom wiring apart from all the janky splitters and converters I've used

Still a studio monitor, and maybe it is your wiring try, computer 3.5mm to dual male e.5 splitter too male 6.3mm onto each monitor. And make surr all mother board eqs are off.

Still a studio monitor, and maybe it is your wiring try, computer 3.5mm to dual male e.5 splitter too male 6.3mm onto each monitor. And make surr all mother board eqs are off.

I've done that :( Still muffled/underwater sounding.

I'm dizzy just trying to make sense of all the adapters and connections. Try plugging it straight one way, PC => speaker with no intersections/splitters in between. Might be something faulty along the way.

I've done that :( Still muffled/underwater sounding.

Horrible echoes? Vocal sounds very distant with no apparent reasons? Most probably a short in the left and right channels' wires. They shouldn't touch, but in your case they most probably touch somewhere along the line

I'm dizzy just trying to make sense of all the adapters and connections. Try plugging it straight one way, PC => speaker with no intersections/splitters in between. Might be something faulty along the way.

Horrible echoes? Vocal sounds very distant with no apparent reasons? Most probably a short in the left and right channels' wires. They shouldn't touch, but in your case they most probably touch somewhere along the line

I have now done this, to the point where only one speaker is connected (no cables any where near from the other speaker) and it's still muffled

my guess is, it's a balanced 1/4" connector, and your feeding a stereo signal to it.

theres 2 amplifier channels in each speaker, one for + one for -, not one for L and one for R.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

I've ordered one off Amazon for delivery tomorrow - will update :)

I now have a 3.5 to dual rca adaptor and I can safely say these speakers are amazing!