Are Corsair PSU Worth It?

Spewky

I was looking through some online lists of the parts that some local stores have and I realised that they don't have PSUs by EVGA but have PSUs by CoolerMaster and Corsair and some other brand that I can't remember.

The thing is when I look up these corsair PSUs they are pretty much the same compared to the PSU I was planning to use, but much more expensive. 

Comparison:

Corsair RM 650W vs EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W

• Both 650 watts
  • Both 80+ gold
  • Both fully modular
  • Corsair has efficiency of "< 92%" while the EVGA has "90% typical"
  • Corsair is DOUBLE the price of the EVGA

So yeah, would it be worth me getting the Corsair PSU as I can get it locally instead of shipping it from the US or should I ship it in and not go with the Corsair...

Also what does the whole RM, AX, CS, CX, HX, TX and all mean? Certain models or type of their brand?

If you can answer any of my questions please reply!

Thanks!

Go with whatevers cheaper.

RM, AX, etc... are the different tiers (models). 

/EVGA's G2 750w is a much better psu though -- so i would get that if it's not too much more. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I was looking through some online lists of the parts that some local stores have and I realised that they don't have PSUs by EVGA but have PSUs by CoolerMaster and Corsair and some other brand that I can't remember.

The thing is when I look up these corsair PSUs they are pretty much the same compared to the PSU I was planning to use, but much more expensive. 

Comparison:

Corsair RM 650W vs EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W

• Both 650 watts
  • Both 80+ gold
  • Both fully modular
  • Corsair has efficiency of "< 92%" while the EVGA has "90% typical"
  • Corsair is DOUBLE the price of the EVGA

So yeah, would it be worth me getting the Corsair PSU as I can get it locally instead of shipping it from the US or should I ship it in and not go with the Corsair...

Also what does the whole RM, AX, CS, CX, HX, TX and all mean? Certain models or type of their brand?

If you can answer any of my questions please reply!

Thanks!

I prefer EVGA over Corsair. As long as they have the same wattage, 80+ rating and are both modular, there is almost no difference in performance.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

1889fbce1f93be946323b3a8f7b43c29.png

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

The RM650 will offer better electrical performance due to DC-DC and quieter operation due to semi-fanless mode and a very relax fan profile. On the other hand, the EVGA Supernova 650w G1 / NEX650G offer better secondary caps and a longer 10 year warranty (upon registration). Between the two, I would go for the RM, but if it is 2x the cost...then no.

Of course, to give you any valuable recommendation on what you should do, it would be helpful to know where you are buying from (links if there's any or any sort of information on what is available to you) and your budget.

@djdwosk97, I've heard of that PSU but last time I checked it is more expensive. I'll go take a look at it though.

@dadasmithywinkle, that's what I thought... I'm not really wanting to spend more for the same things... Though the RM series has 5 year warranty and I'm not sure about the EVGA ones. I'll have to check.

@Sharif, thanks for the image! Sure helps a lot :)

@quan289, thanks for the info. The price where I live is the equivalent to like 85 USD instead of the 110 you can get it online for (talking about the Corsair RM) but the EVGA is the same wattage, efficiency and modular but for 50 USD... Though I might end up going with the Corsair PSU as I can get it quite easily where I am. 

Thanks for the replies!

@djdwosk97, is this the one you were talking about?

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220g20750xr

Is it any different from the Corsair RM 650W (other than the obvious wattage)? I think I can get the Corsair RM 650W for around 85 USD (instead of 110 USD) where I live (not US) for cheaper than the online prices to ship it here. The EVGA is 750W but is 100 USD online but I can't get it where I live. Still better off going with the EVGA or the Corsair? 

Just stay away from XFX. Ive been though two in less than 6 months. The second one smoked a Gigabyte UD5H Black Edition.

Project Cobalt: 

CPU: AMD FX 8370 Motherboard:

Asus M5A97 R2.0

RAM: G.Skill Ares 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2133 GPU:

Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Case: NZXT H440 (Blue)

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 256GB +  2x 1TB WD Cavier Blue

PSU: Corsair 750G2 

CPU Cooler: Swiftech H220X

Keyboard: Model M + a lot of others 

Mouse: Logitech G502

Vintage Gaming PC: AMD Athlon T-Bird 800Mhz, Gainward nVidia Ti200 128MB, 512MB Crucial RAM DDR, Compaq ASPEN 2 OEM Board, Soundblaster Live! 5.1, Windows 98SE

@quan289, thanks for the info. The price where I live is the equivalent to like 85 USD instead of the 110 you can get it online for (talking about the Corsair RM) but the EVGA is the same wattage, efficiency and modular but for 50 USD... Though I might end up going with the Corsair PSU as I can get it quite easily where I am. 

Thanks for the replies!

If I'm reading correctly, you are saying $85 USD = ~$110 in your country? You're from Australia? Because $85 USD is ~$109 AUD. Buying the NEX650G in the US would not only require higher shipping rates, but an increase potential of DoA due to poor handling by the shipping company in which would lead you to pay more in shipping to have it replace.

Anyways, if you are from Australia, I may be able to find something for you. Just need to know your budget in your country's currency and your system specs.

@djdwosk97, is this the one you were talking about?

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220g20750xr

Is it any different from the Corsair RM 650W (other than the obvious wattage)? I think I can get the Corsair RM 650W for around 85 USD (instead of 110 USD) where I live (not US) for cheaper than the online prices to ship it here. The EVGA is 750W but is 100 USD online but I can't get it where I live. Still better off going with the EVGA or the Corsair? 

Yes, that's the one that he is talking about.

The RM650 is a mid-range product, while the EVGA Supernova G2 is an high-end product. It offer better build quality, electrical performance, and a longer warranty. Like the RM, it also offer semi-passive mode (fan doesn't spin up at lower loads for a more quieter operation - Corsair calls it "Zero-RPM mode"), but has a switch to have it actively cool if you want.

The RM does offer a more relax fan profile though, so it would be quieter at higher loads.

Just stay away from XFX. Ive been though two in less than 6 months. The second one smoked a Gigabyte UD5H Black Edition.

XFX PSUs are fine. They are manufactured by and used the same platform from Seasonic.

The "smoked" UD5H may be due to the motherboard itself. Like, for example, the VRM had failed and shorted out. If that is the case, your issue more has to due with single rail vs multi-rail rather than XFX.

Why would it do that?

If I'm reading correctly, you are saying $85 USD = ~$110 in your country? You're from Australia? Because $85 USD is ~$109 AUD. Buying the NEX650G in the US would not only require higher shipping rates, but an increase potential of DoA due to poor handling by the shipping company in which would lead you to pay more in shipping to have it replace.

Anyways, if you are from Australia, I may be able to find something for you. Just need to know your budget in your country's currency and your system specs.

No, not Australia. I'd prefer not to say where I'm from but yeah, I can get it where I live for cheaper than online shipping from the US. 

Yes, that's the one that he is talking about.

The RM650 is a mid-range product, while the EVGA Supernova G2 is an high-end product. It offer better build quality, electrical performance, and a longer warranty. Like the RM, it also offer semi-passive mode (fan doesn't spin up at lower loads for a more quieter operation - Corsair calls it "Zero-RPM mode"), but has a switch to have it actively cool if you want.

The RM does offer a more relax fan profile though, so it would be quieter at higher loads.

Okay, I understand now. Though I think I'll go with the RM650 as I can get it where I live... 

Anything from Seaosonic

Hmmm, I'll look into that. Haven't heard much about them.

-snip-

My EVGA 1000P2 has a 10 year warranty 

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

No, not Australia. I'd prefer not to say where I'm from but yeah, I can get it where I live for cheaper than online shipping from the US. 

Y'all need me in this thread.

The short answer is; for the most part, Corsair is not worth it, since there are better options for the price in most large countries such as within the US where products other then Corsair are stocked locally. Corsair's PSUs are not going to blow up your system, it's just that they're not as good as some other options that would normally be available. However if the only company that is stocked locally in your country is Corsair and importing others would be a lot more expensive, then might as well go for the Corsair, but I'd still say that I would never live in a country that only has Corsair locally.

Is there no other option for an Antec or Seasonic power supply locally?

"Rawr XD"

Okay, I understand now. Though I think I'll go with the RM650 as I can get it where I live... 

Hmmm, I'll look into that. Haven't heard much about them.

I'm leaning towards the RM650 for you as well.

Seasonic is a reputable PSU manufacturer who not only sell their own PSUs in the retail market, they make PSUs for companies like Corsair, Cooler Master, Antec, etc. as well. If they are available to you, I would definitely consider them.

Why would it do that?

He's insinuating that XFX are low quality PSUs that is capable of causing damage to your system if you used it which isn't the case.

Ok... Since I don't know what you have, I'm just going to make recommendations then...

Do you have something like the Cooler Master V650 or V700 in your price range? More the cheaper side, Cooler Master G650M.

Seasonic S12G / G, Antec Edge / True Power Classic, XFX XTR / TS Gold, and Fractal Design Edison M are all essentially the same unit (with some differences with the fan and modularity).

For Antec, the True Power New is good if they have it in stock (they are discontinued, but in some countries, it's available at a very good price).

NZXT Hale90 or Hale82-M (not to be confused with Hale82N and Hale82v2)

BeQuiet Straight Power 10

Sentey Golden Steel Power (GSP*50-SM) could be an option as well.

For Corsair, either the RM, HX or AX series. From Evga, only the G2 or P2 series. Anything from Seasonic. From Cooler Master, get the V series only I would say.

You can't go wrong with any of those. And people who say they are bad or failed, anything mechanical is subject to failure, any technology is. Although it's a small chance, it could happen to the very best power supply.

For Corsair, either the RM, HX or AX series. From Evga, only the G2 or P2 series. Anything from Seasonic. From Cooler Master, get the V series only I would say.

You can't go wrong with any of those. And people who say they are bad or failed, anything mechanical is subject to failure, any technology is. Although it's a small chance, it could happen to the very best power supply.

You forgot EVGA B2 which are also good units.

I've got an Evga supernova 650 g1 and its great

i5 3570k @ 4.9 ghz/1.27 volts, Asus P8Z77-V LK8 Gb Corsair 1600mhzGigabyte Windforce R9 290 1140/1625, Silverstone RV02, Kingston V300 120 gb, 1 TB WD Blue HDD,Seagate barracuda, Evga Supernova 750 G2Hyper 212 EvoWindows 8.1, K70 Red LED Blue switch, Razer Deathadder 2012, Sennehiser HD 598

EVGA psu's have come a long way the last few years. That being said I have an old Corsair 520w (made by Seasonic) that is over 7yrs old thats still working strong. I also have an ax850 (made by Seasonic) thats still working awesome too. I think IMO the new G2 looks great and also gets glowing reviews. I don't think you can go wrong with either. Also they both have class leading RMA departments.

I personally couldn't say that Corsair is better than others, because if it works, then it's an A+ in my book. I have two Corsair power supplies (one CS, one CX) and they both function as advertised. I wouldn't have a problem buying another one.

Everyone has an opinion. The big problem is that psu's are not a unified bunch. The vast majority are built by OEM vendors and some models will be built by different vendors with different qualities. Go to this page and cruise the list.

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/PSUReviewDatabase.html

Seasonic is a very good brand and manufacturer as is Flextronics and Delta. Coming up on the inside track is SuperFlower which having built the newer EVGA units are getting a fantastic rep of superior quality for cheap. There's absolutely nothing wrong with Corsair except you have to pay a premium for the name. If you have a choice like the those in the U.S. then there's far better choices for the money.

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!