Someone Actually Removed An Unfinished Game From Steam Early Access

Rohith_Kumar_Sp

Under The Ocean spent more than a year on Steam Early Access, but—despite steady progress and a relatively fun experience—the survival game's creator yanked it from Valve's service. His reasoning? He's not sure if he can deliver on his promises anymore, and he wants to make sure he's not being dishonest with players.

Under The Ocean is a colorful yet daunting island survival game that's been in development for years. Recently, however, it hit choppy waters when its lead developer, Paul Hart, and programmer, Michael Reitzenstein—who'd been living and working together for much of the game's development—decided they didn't see eye-to-eye. The two parted on amicable terms, but in the great survival game that is game creation, good programmers are drinkable water—or at least conveniently placed bags of potato chips. In other words, vital. This leaves Under The Ocean in an awkward place.

Hart plans to continue development (he knows how to program; it's just not his specialty), but he asked Valve to pull Under The Ocean from Steam Early Access nonetheless. This in a time when some developers—Double Fine and the people behind notorious indie game Towns among them—have elected to swerve away from game development's rockiest shores by slapping a "finished" tag on their unfinished games and moving on. Meanwhile, big publishers have moved toward a disturbing trend of releasing thoroughly unfinished games and patching them to completion. So, why didn't Hart follow suit? He explained his rationale to me via email:

"Because fuck that, Firstly, I am way too stubborn to quit, but secondly, we promised the player-base that a game would be delivered—not a broken alpha product. It isn't even about money or lack thereof at this point. It's about pride and finishing what we started. Despite Mike leaving, I still feel strongly about what this project could be, rather than what it is currently."

k93egll2zjkbs4xtzykk.jpg  aej55mrvclvsns4ltup4.jpg

So he got in touch with Valve, and that was that.

"I emailed Jason at Steam to take it down," said Hart. "I can't in good faith keep the store page up without something decent to show. Jason was very understanding, and I just told him if/when I have something worth selling I'd shoot him an email again to ask to revive the store page. But until that time, I will be starting again by myself, and the game will not be available until I am happy with it."

maowqgodmj3dloibyzy4.jpg

Hart admitted, however, that he was hesitant to shake things up for a while. Despite smoke and the beginnings of a fire between himself and Reitzenstein, he didn't want to let people down."We didn't want to disappoint the players with failure, we didn't want to admit we failed, and that took a long time to come to grips with," he explained.

Reitzenstein echoed that sentiment in a post on Under The Ocean's Steam forums, adding that he would've also been more than willing to continue making the game solo, but it was Hart's game first. "We both take our obligation to finish the game very seriously, and it's not the first time we've spent thousands of hours finishing up a project with no expectation of future sales," he wrote.

Fans are saddened by the news, but they're also largely understanding of the situation. Despite some lapses in updating, Hart and Reitzenstein have been pretty open with the game's development since day one, so they've engendered a good deal of trust from the community.

z5dkkamhmfpelchsasje.png

xvbeajrqj6l3tb0aoere.png

ltpfertyl2mdrs3ymuzt.png

The only question remaining, then, is what's next for Under The Ocean. For now, Hart plans torelease builds on his own—separate from Steam—so players who bought the game can still be involved in its progress if they want. He also plans to offer refunds when he has the necessary funds to do so.

Hart isn't fooling himself, however. He has no programmer and almost no money; getting the game back on track is gonna take a while. He's also decided to essentially start from scratch, or at least pull a lot of the work he previously did into a new 2D version that better emphasizes his strengths as a designer, artist, and programmer. Some fans are upset that Hart isn't releasing what he has of what would've been the 3D version's ninth major alpha update, but he just doesn't think it can stand alone. He probably could've pulled a Double Fine or even aTowns and gotten some support for it, but that idea just doesn't sit well with him.

"I think the concept is sound, but [the last alpha build that Mike and I worked on] is a buggy mess and definitely not fun by finished game standards," he confessed.

"I think I can do better, I think I can make something more focused and refined solo, and I don't care if it takes another few years of my life. I am not quitting until it reaches a point where I am happy with it."

To some, that might sound like the beginnings of a lengthy slog—a finger-scraping, back-breaking mountain climb with no end in sight—but Hart is feeling strangely optimistic about it all.

Source : http://steamed.kotaku.com/game-maker-says-fuck-that-to-keeping-unfinished-game-on-1684274354

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Good luck to him. Sounds like a real pain in the ass.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I own the game, it was rather interesting. 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I'm okay with this. Clearly, there were issues and clearly they are sorting that out, so if I had supported the game, I would have no hard feelings and I would just wish him well.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

if devs are going to trash their project and leave, this is how they should do it, not just waving the white flag and hope for the best, or in more real life term GTFO about it, props for stepping up to try and fix the situation even if it might end up going no where

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Then what happened to all the people who spent money on the game during the one or more years it was on Early Access? I don't wanna be an asshole here or anything, but he promised to deliver and have taken peoples money in exchange for that promise.

Okay, now give the customers refunds. You took people's money in order to develop and improve the game, you've now completely abandoned it, so now refund every copy bought.

The sooner Valve gets rid of this early-access cancer, the better.

the dedication is real, best of luck to him

| --- My Stuff --- |

Computer: Apple Late-2008 Macbook Pro ; -Haguro- build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/296613-wip-project-haguro-x99-hackintosh-workstation/|

Mobile Devices: Apple 32GB 1st gen Ipad Mini ; Apple 16GB Iphone 5s ; Apple Ipod Classic 80Gb 5th Gen ; Apple Ipod Classic 120Gb 6th Gen ; Apple Ipod Classic 160Gb 7th Gen ; Apple Ipod Nano 16Gb 6th Gen 

Then what happened to all the people who spent money on the game during the one or more years it was on Early Access? I don't wanna be an asshole here or anything, but he promised to deliver and have taken peoples money in exchange for that promise.

Okay, now give the customers refunds. You took people's money in order to develop and improve the game, you've now completely abandoned it, so now refund every copy bought.

Read the terms of the sale, Early access the Dev can pull the plug at any time for any reason. You are not entitled for a refund, do not pass go, do not collect $$$, Early access is like an investment, there is no guarantee that the investment will come to fruition, its just like kickstarter.

In my opinion the developer has no obligation to anyone to issue a refund.

You didn't read the entire thing did you?

People who already have the game can keep it, the dev plans to release patches through other means to people who already have the game. 

The game will simply not sell new copies until it is finished.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

How long until Early Access gets pulled from Early Access? 

Never, Early Access is great but it's kind a rename of Alpha and Beta.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Good to see a Dev with some moral fiber.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

did you even read the OP?

Fair enough, I respect honest devs on early access, there the system it was for. Treat early access like kickstarter .

Not exactly a great situation, but we need more honestly like this instead of the PR crap that we normally get.